Why become a member? ×

Do you DB'ers carry a spare set of strings to gigs?

Clarky

There are numerous threads on the electric bass side about whether you need back-up strings in case of breakage on a gig etc. The consensus seems to be that very few BC'ers actually break strings on gigs but that, for peace of mind and that small percentage of breakages, a sizeable number of us do bring along a spare set of strings.

So I wondered how many of you DB'ers ever keep a spare set of strings and a string winder in your DB gigbags for such an eventuality? I've not done so to date but wonder if its a good idea to do so. DB strings have some idiosyncrasies and the break point on the bridge is exposed to knocks. On the other hand a spare set of DB strings is a lot more expensive than a spare set of electric bass strings!

Edited by Clarky

Nope and I have had the experience of a broken string on the first rehearsal of a musical (3 week run)
lots of hurried phone calls produced a replacement.
edit
having said that, my bread and butter gig has a bass that lives in their van, I've left an old set of spirocores in the bag... unused for prob 8 years B)

Edited by jakenewmanbass

Yup. Strings, winder.. don't even look in my wires bag! Used spare strings once (Evah.. ouch!) when one was damaged by too-close contact with part of the vehicle we were travelling in.
I have a soundpost setting tool, which usually lives under the front seat of my own car. I think I can explain it, should I ever get searched late at night. :ph34r:
I was a Scout for a looong time!

I keep a set of old strings in my bass bag. I've never broken a DB string but aware that my Slaps are around 2 years old now.
On bass guitar, I have broken 2 strings live in 25 years so, again, not too worried.

Edited by PTB

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1381421893' post='2238930']
But you guys who don't carry spares: what exactly would you do if you did break a string? Not an impossible occurrence.
[/quote]

...or if you break a finger, eh..? Not an impossible occurrence, either. :happy:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1381426038' post='2239029']
...or if you break a finger, eh..? Not an impossible occurrence, either. :happy:
[/quote]

If I broke a finger I would consider it a good enough reason for stopping the gig; a broken string is no excuse for a pro musician to stop. As long as there is a bo**ocks barrier somewhere outside Dover we should all be spared.