Why become a member? ×

Basses- works of art

timmo

I was looking at my bass and thinking how good it looks. Instead of buying art, does anyone buy them to hang on the wall? I was thinking that if I gave up trying to play, I would get a nice hanger. and keep it.
Is there a new brand and model bass on the market today that you could buy that you think could appreciate in value, and would look good hanging up?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1380308460' post='2223710']
I think that any functional instrument not being played is a damn shame. To answer your question simply, no, and any bass you think looks good when you're holding it will look good hanging up.
[/quote]
I take your point, but I assume there must be people who have a bass that they have superceded and wouldn`t like to part with it for whatever reason. They probably end up in the loft or somewhere, but would look good hanging up, like my old bass nearly did.

Sounds like a good thread here. I have reduced my collection from 9.. to ..8. I have 3 for sale (2of which are cheap imho), but I will probably keep them.
The bass I sold recently (schecter 5 string ) was real eye candy .Cherry black with gold hardware.

The newish bass( which kinda answers your question) is my Dean Taxi Bass, which is bright yellow. I often get envious of guitarists who can 'frame' their guitars onto a wall.Basses are much heavier. My washburn status and Steinberger xm2 would look great this way.

I would give anything to have mine on display, but with a wife and two young daughters I have to make do with peppa pig and disney princess on every square inch of wall space.
However in answer to your question I think they are beautiful instruments to admire either on the wall, on a stand or on stage

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1380308460' post='2223710'] To answer your question simply, no, and any bass you think looks good when you're holding it will look good hanging up.
[/quote]
Roscoe LG. Looks sh*t on the wall. Looks awesome when strapped on you.

My 3 basses are neatly displayed on the wall above the tele, using diagonal mounts. MTD 5 / EB SR5 / Dean cabbie (yellow hollowbody with checkered sides).
My wife insisted!

... let me rummage about, see if I have a picture...
[IMG]http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/254/20120308162144.jpg[/IMG]
Yep! Bad picture using the panorama feature of my previous phone \○/

Edited by Bolo

yea, got some of mine up too, never had a issue with them hanging they spend a long time in the shop like that.
i think they have coffee and biscuits and a good natter when im out. <_<
[attachment=144870:IMG_3854.jpg]

good enough for mark, good enough for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-7pQJN9v58

Edited by funkgod

I actually started off as a collector of basses and guitars, and have many hanging from hangers, and also have a few scattered around the room on stands, I just think they look gorgeous, and luckily my wife thinks they look great too!

The reason I collected them rather than play them was because I never thought that I would ever be good enough to be in a band, obviously I would have a go on them by myself at home, but I never had the confidence to play with other musicians until about seven years ago, when in a slightly inebriated state, I volunteered to play bass in a make-shift band, it all went well and I have been playing and gigging ever since.

If I was to pack up playing, I would still keep them displayed, and if anything ever happens to me, they would be worth at least £10,000 which would be handy for the wife and kids, and yes, I have told them what they are worth so that they don't get ripped off if they need to sell them. :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1380379810' post='2224520']
I hang mine on the wall, not as art particularly, it just seems the most convenient place to keep them - out of the way but easy to access.

[attachment=144874:Guitars.jpg]
[/quote]
But you have got to admit, they look as good as any picture.

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1380366597' post='2224318']
yea, got some of mine up too, never had a issue with them hanging they spend a long time in the shop like that.
i think they have coffee and biscuits and a good natter when im out. <_<
[attachment=144870:IMG_3854.jpg]

good enough for mark, good enough for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-7pQJN9v58
[/quote]

I quite enjoyed watching that. Not normally my thing, but I watched it till the end .

I just got outbid on a Danelectro 'dead on 58' Longhorn in 'copperburst' with a Dano case which had butterscotch lining, I couldn't see myself using it in the bands I'm in but it was so beautiful I just had to bid on it, I couldn't afford any more and got outbid 2 seconds before the end and I'm gutted.
It wouldn't ever be worth much but it is a piece of art as far as I'm concerned.

I've got my two Gibson Rippers on the wall on Hercules hangers. I did that because there's no more room under the bed. I play one of the Rippers for practice because it's Alder and light. The other one is maple and 2lb heavier, so gets little or no playing time, but nothing else looks right in that space, so I can't get rid of it.