Why become a member? ×

Setup for acoustic gigs

razze06

Our covers band is considering doing acoustic gigs with a reduced line up, and I was wondering what would be a good bass setup for that. The line up is likely to be acoustic guitar, bass and perhaps piano/keys. We would probably have a small PA for vocals and keys, and maybe guitar, but it probably won't be able to do bass as well.

What do people that do acoustic gigs normally use? Their normal electric gear at lower volumes? EUBs? Proper double basses? Humming into microphones like the short guy from The Platters?

I did only one acoustic gig before, using a normal electric bass and amp. It felt a little like a rock band where the drummer didn't turn up for the gig :)
I am concerned that might happen again. Perhaps I should look into a proper ABG or EUB, for a different feel...

ABG is one of those that you buy it and use it a few times because of acoustic gig then you will sell it. It happen to me couple of times. Own 3 in the pass and sold it all for the same purpose. Don't get use a lot and it takes up space.

I would rather have a EUB which is something totally different.

I think when use normal electric bass on acoustic gig you might want to revisit your tone choice. Dial in something that will fit in the band.

I'm sure when "The Eagle" play some acoustic sets, their bass player still uses his fender jazz.

Classic example:

http://vimeo.com/46839101

Edited by badboy1984

When I started playing with an acoustic guitarist all I did was buy a good 112 cab. I used my regular amp and bass.

I think [i]how[/i] you play with acoustic players is more important than the instrument you're using.

On the other hand I know people insist you can only play this stuff on a DB, so what do I know!

I also believe that it is more about how and what you play in an acoustic set, not the instrument itself.
personally I can't play double bass what I'd prefer to use in an acoustic set, so I got myself a cheap old eko B4 fretless acoustic bass and fitted a piezo under the bridge because it is a similar bridge construction as a double bass:

the resulting sound is awesome and very close to a double bass, but of course you still need an amp plus a suitable preamp for the piezo like the l.r. baggs para di..

I use a Roland Cube 100. Enough volume, unobtrusive size and shape and it's possible to easily get a nice clean tone. If needed, it directly DI's into the PA and the combo speaker stays on to use as an onstage monitor. Not all combo speakers stay 'on' if DI-ed.
I used to use a ABG, but got rid of them for the reasons mentioned above. Now I play what I feel like taking out that day. No one notices anyway.

I use a Cort NTL-B acoustic fretless through an EBS NeoDrome 12 (a Line6 Lowdown Studio 110 in the past) and that combination sounds great. I have bright bronze roundwound strings on it now, but I've had flatwounds on it too in the past and it sounds eerily close to an upright with flats.

Thanks for all the advice. I have tried using my Westone with heavy gauge flats, and it could do the trick. Unfortunately, it looks like we may actually not go ahead with the idea at all, as we seem to sound just like a rock band whose drummer couldn't make the gig :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380207125' post='2222329']
....I think [i]how[/i] you play with acoustic players is more important than the instrument you're using...
[/quote]

This what you have to do.

Don't give up. To play acoustically muscians have to have a different focus and way of playing. You've got to learn how to do it instead of just being a rock band with acoustic guitars.

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1380810568' post='2230920']
Thanks for all the advice. I have tried using my Westone with heavy gauge flats, and it could do the trick. Unfortunately, it looks like we may actually not go ahead with the idea at all, as we seem to sound just like a rock band whose drummer couldn't make the gig :)
[/quote]

What are the guitars doing? Electro-acoustic into the PA, which normally just handles vocals, works for us, with DI box and few as possible effects. Cut down on the solos. Our drummer has a Djembe, which works well. The U-bass also helps mark it out as something different. We added some songs that we don't do in the rock gigs, but kept a few big rockers because they do work. e.g Wishing Well, Teen Spirit.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1380207125' post='2222329']
I think [i]how[/i] you play with acoustic players is more important than the instrument you're using.
[/quote]

Absolutely.

Most of my work for many years has been (and still is) playing with acoustic players.

The instruments stay the same, the amplification stays the same - the changes needed are all around empathy and texture.

I'm doing something similar as a sideline project at the moment (NO drums) and basically the two electro-acoustic guitarists and myself (Washburb AB20 bass) go direct into PA which we are placing behind us as monitor and FOH. All 4 of us sing/harmonise and it forces everyone to sort out playing/mic technique to give all of the instrument/voices space to 'breathe'!

I've been trying to do more with acoustic / semi-acoustic stuff for the last few years, getting involved with playing DB in the process.

A couple of things I've discovered echo comments made by others (above).

1. The band frequently want a DB on stage at least as much for the look of the thing as the sound. I've tried using a Kala U-Bass and it sounded great, they're brilliant instruments, but in truth they do [u][b]look [/b][/u]like toys. That matters to some people.

2. Playing these gigs is an exercise in minimalism ... just how [i][b]few [/b][/i]notes can I play. As Bluejay puts it, it's about playing a small number of [i][b]important [/b][/i]notes. My rather laboured point is that - musically - Chris is bang on the money, it's not the instrument that matters (electric or acoustic) but what you do with it.

I would just use the smallest version of my rig i.e. Small head and 1x12 cab. A woody-sounding fretless can also come across as more suitable to the genre but lay off the chorus pedal!

Also if your drummer won't be there, consider one of you playing a logjam (or similar) foot stomper through your PA.

If there are to be no percussion instruments this represents a major change in the band dynamic; who is now driving the rhythm?

I echo the sentiments about how you play when it is stripped back - it sounds terrible when bands play the same way as you should be really dialing everything right back. Personally I've used an upright bass, I've plugged a P-bass in though a PA and I've used an acoustic bass guitar. I don't think there really is a right answer in kit used, more the way you approach the songs

Thanks again for all the input. I have also felt that the actual kit matters less than the touch and feel. What remains a problem is that we would have to rearrange all our setlist, or come up with a new one. I personally enjoy covering song with a different feel from the original, but it is harder than doing them as the original version.

In essence, if we go acoustic, you have to find a new sound for the band. That's kind of what we figured...