Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most disappointing album of 2013 so far?

KevB

Just as an antidote to the other thread, which albums did people get that had good reviews or big expectations but didn't deliver for them personally?

For me I was somewhat underwhelmed by KT Tunstall's latest offering to the point that, having wanted to see her live at some point I decided that this tour probably wasn't the one to start so not bothered buying a ticket.

Daft Punk for me as well. Everything that made Daft Punk great diluted and misappropriated, the glory days of Homework and Discovery are long gone and one of my favourite electronic acts didn't deliver, largely for me because they used live musicians. Although words like 'melancholic' and 'minimal' have never been words I would ever associate with Daft Punk, basically the opposite in fact.

I could ruffle some feathers with QOTSA, then? :lol:

Still, the title of the thread was [i]disappointing[/i] not [i]worst[/i] - and it's by no means the worst, I just expected a bit more from it; it feels a little like a wander through some dark lands. Which is perhaps, given the context, what it is.

I think I'm still wedded to the earlier material, living out some old glories :)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1379941103' post='2218444']
Just as an antidote to the other thread, which albums did people get that had good reviews or big expectations but didn't deliver for them personally?

For me I was somewhat underwhelmed by KT Tunstall's latest offering to the point that, having wanted to see her live at some point I decided that this tour probably wasn't the one to start so not bothered buying a ticket.
[/quote]
I love KT (on every level!)and was initially slightly disappointed by some of the album (although some, e.g. Feel It All, I loved from the off) but I'm finding it's a real grower. I've found I really have to sit and focus on it more than her others (FWIW my favourite is still her Scarlet Tulip ep). I've seen her 4 times and I wouldn't miss her live; oh, and I've now met her 3 times and she's just lovely.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1379956328' post='2218729']
I love KT (on every level!)and was initially slightly disappointed by some of the album (although some, e.g. Feel It All, I loved from the off) but I'm finding it's a real grower. I've found I really have to sit and focus on it more than her others (FWIW my favourite is still her Scarlet Tulip ep). I've seen her 4 times and I wouldn't miss her live; oh, and I've now met her 3 times and she's just lovely.
[/quote]

I think I need to revisit this one. I wasn't expecting it to be exactly upbeat, written in the aftermath of the death of her dad and her marriage falling apart but it did wash over me a bit. If she was playing Nottm I might have still gone but not driving all way to Brum. I'll keep KT on my 'to do' list as it were ;)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1379941103' post='2218444']
[/quote]
Me too I'm afraid, though she and her band were brilliant on the 2 occasions I have already seen her.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1379970444' post='2219027']
Opposites by Biffy Clyro, there's a brilliant album's worth of songs between the two sides but as a whole it's not as good as their other albums to me.

I hope it grows on me with a few more listens :)
[/quote]

Didn't know there was the 'deluxe' version when I bought it, so I only have the 1 CD version and it is my album of the year so far. So perhaps the 'chaff' was removed for my version?