Why become a member? ×

Barefaced cab feet repair/upgrade

countjodius

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1380537358' post='2226623']
I have no axe to grind, and no experience of these cabs. This idea might be completely bogus due to the thickness of the walls of the cab, but would hollow wall anchors work in this context?

They work bloody well in their native environment (12.5mm thick plasterboard) - I have my stairs handrail held up with 12 (3x at 4 points along the rail) of these bad boys. Perhaps they would protrude too much into the cab, I dunno. Just thought I'd put them forward anyway. They might go loose through vibration, but they're highly unlikely to work loose to the point where they fall out.

Back in my box now ;)
[/quote]

This looks like another good solution. To stop having the screw coming out inside the cab simply use the original one to tight the anchor and then replace it for a smaller one ;)

EDIT: To be fair, in the end this would have the same result of apllying a T-nut.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1380537799' post='2226637']
This looks like another good solution. To stop having the screw coming out inside the cab simply use the original one to tight the anchor and then replace it for a smaller one ;)

EDIT: To be fair, in the end this would have the same result of apllying a T-nut.
[/quote]

Oh, missed that about T-nuts. The only difference I can think of is that the entire installation can be done from outside the cab with hollow wall anchors, no need to get inside - surely you'd have to press/drive the T-nut into the inside face of the base of the cab, or am I being mental?

With Gen 3 they hope to have fixed this issue, but the feedback is vital for continuous product improvement. I have had to fix feet on a Vintage and my S12 so I understand the frustrations felt, but ultimately other brand cabs have fated no better in our van so I don't lay the blame only at BF

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1380538392' post='2226644']
Oh, missed that about T-nuts. The only difference I can think of is that the entire installation can be done from outside the cab with hollow wall anchors, no need to get inside - surely you'd have to press/drive the T-nut into the inside face of the base of the cab, or am I being mental?
[/quote]

Well, not mental, but they get drawn into place by tightening the screw.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1380544258' post='2226752']
Well, not mental, but they get drawn into place by tightening the screw.
[/quote]

Understood, but my point remains that you have to physically put the T-nut inside the cab somehow as opposed to the hollow wall fixing which is all done from outside.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1380545122' post='2226766']
Understood, but my point remains that you have to physically put the T-nut inside the cab somehow as opposed to the hollow wall fixing which is all done from outside.
[/quote]

Yes, you're absolutely right. Using the t-nut you would need to get a way to stick the nut inside the cab. ;)

Regarding [quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1380536434' post='2226610']To be fair, I think its valuable feedback that BF needs to keep improving the cabinets.[/quote]

I like to think it has now been addressed:

"[color=#333333]Our 1x12" cabs have small rubber feet on the base and one side opposite the handle, attached with long thick screws right through the plywood so they do not get knocked off. Our 2x12", 6x10" and 2x15" cabs have tilt and roll wheels on the back edge of the base and large rubber feet at the front edge, which are attached with bolts and t-nuts to survive the rigours of gigging. With the previous generation Barefaced cabs we had too many instances of foot screws being pulled out - our small feet used to be attached with shorter smaller gauge screws due to their location whilst our large feet used screws, not bolts. We are confident that this upgrade will solve this irritating problem: In the unlikely event that it doesn't then we'll think of something else - I don't want to hear of any more feet falling off!"[/color]

http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/generation-three-hardware.htm

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1380548499' post='2226854']
Regarding

I like to think it has now been addressed:

"[color=#333333]Our 1x12" cabs have small rubber feet on the base and one side opposite the handle, attached with long thick screws right through the plywood so they do not get knocked off. Our 2x12", 6x10" and 2x15" cabs have tilt and roll wheels on the back edge of the base and large rubber feet at the front edge, which are attached with bolts and t-nuts to survive the rigours of gigging. With the previous generation Barefaced cabs we had too many instances of foot screws being pulled out - our small feet used to be attached with shorter smaller gauge screws due to their location whilst our large feet used screws, not bolts. We are confident that this upgrade will solve this irritating problem: In the unlikely event that it doesn't then we'll think of something else - I don't want to hear of any more feet falling off!"[/color]

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/generation-three-hardware.htm"]http://barefacedbass...ee-hardware.htm[/url]
[/quote]

...and thats exactly why its important feedback.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1380489361' post='2226176']
Customers shouldn’t have to use wood glue, sawdust and matchsticks to stop bits falling off a product that costs over a thousand pounds.
[/quote]

Yup, it's true, [i][b]feet [/b][/i]really are the new [i][b]handles[/b][/i].

:lol:

Next on the list to bitch about:
[list]
[*]Grilles
[*]Finish
[*]Corners
[*]Plywood
[*]Shape
[*]Colour
[*]Weight
[*]Smell
[*]Price
[*]Name
[/list]

In each case, do remember to use the phrase "...[i] costing thousands of pounds [/i]..." because then you'll be on the side of the consumer (natch), rather than merely having a cheap pop at someone who's actually achieved something.

:mellow:

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1380549521' post='2226883']
Wow, I've never known such a touchy subject. Those who own VS those who do not own (and may have potentially tried them) is quite heated!
[/quote]

That's because some people have formed an unhealthy emotional attachment to their equipment. Say anything slightly negative about it and it's like insulting their granny. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1380549521' post='2226883']
Wow, I've never known such a touchy subject. Those who own VS those who do not own (and may have potentially tried them) is quite heated!
[/quote]

Agreed. It is genuinely a mystery to me.

I know a fair number of Basschatters (personally, as opposed to cyperspacially) and many of them either own Barefaced cabs or have at least tried them properly - i.e. an extended loan, or borrowed for a gig or two, rather than 30 seconds of slapping on someone else's rig.

Without fail, all those I know who have tried Barefaced cabs are genuinely impressed with them. Some choose not to buy them, preferring Bergs or Schroeders or whatever, which is absolutely cool. None of them feel it necessary to whinge incessantly about cabs they don't own, such as Bergs or Schroeders or whatever.

But there is also a hard core of Barefaced-haters on Basschat who seem determined to slag them off at any opportunity, frequently using wildly-exaggerated comments and criticisms. If these people were slightly more restrained and sensible in their tactics, they might engage in a more sensible, constructive conversation.

In that case, Barefaced users might not feel it necessary to point out just how wild some of those criticisms are.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1380551671' post='2226934']
If anyone is having issues with feet falling off, email [email protected] and we'll find a solution. I believe we've sorted it for all G3 onwards cabs but that doesn't mean we don't care about everyone earlier - to be honest I think it's annoying me more than it is anyone else!
[/quote]

Well you can't say fairer than that. And yes, I can see why it would annoy you more than anyone else.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380549428' post='2226879']In each case, do remember to use the phrase "...[i] costing thousands of pounds [/i]..." because then you'll be on the side of the consumer (natch)[/quote]

:D :D :D It's like you read my mind...!

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380549428' post='2226879']
Yup, it's true, [i][b]feet [/b][/i]really are the new [i][b]handles[/b][/i].

:lol:

Next on the list to bitch about:
[list]
[*]Grilles
[*]Finish
[*]Corners
[*]Plywood
[*]Shape
[*]Colour
[*]Weight
[*]Smell
[*]Price
[*]Name
[/list]
[/quote]

You forgot...

Logo.

Fair play for sorting the issues rather than not even acknowledging the problems!

Edited by EBS_freak

A product either stands up or it doesn't...

You pay your money and you take your choice. I don't think any product should be beyond criticism or praise.
If the forum is worth anything, it will deal with each and every product as when the pluses and minuses arise.

I don't see what the problem is...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1380551911' post='2226939']
But there is also a hard core of Barefaced-haters on Basschat who seem determined to slag them off at any opportunity, frequently using wildly-exaggerated comments and criticisms. If these people were slightly more restrained and sensible in their tactics, they might engage in a more sensible, constructive conversation.

In that case, Barefaced users might not feel it necessary to point out just how wild some of those criticisms are.
[/quote]

The exact same can be said about Fender, Ashdown, Hartke and the many, many other manufacturers that receive exaggerated claims and criticisms on here as well.