Why become a member? ×

Come Up and See Me

allighatt0r

Just been given this song to learn... for tonight.

Just listened to it the first time and the bass-line seems stupidly complex, but also important to the song...

So I've gotta get my thinking cap on.

I have the chords [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_harley_cockney_rebel/make_me_smile_come_up_and_see_me_crd.htm"]here[/url] and i can listen to the song [url="http://songza.com/z/ky5zmk"]here[/url] but as for learning the lines and whatever, i'm a bit stumped.

Should i sit down and study rigorously and try to get it down, or just stick the chords and try to noodle my way through (i am TERRIBLE at improv.)

Any help will be much appreciated.

I never work a bassline out note for note,just play it your own way i say,chill out & go with the flow.(as stated above :huh: )
its much more enjoyable & you get to put some of youself into the song too.
anyone who wants note to note perfection may as well just put the bloody C.D. on. :)

Edited by artisan

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='220568' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:27 PM']I am so afraid of noodling along though because when i do more often than not what i play sounds rubbish. :)

Ah well, i best go start practicing.[/quote]

just relax & try not to be too flash.

I recently had to learn this for my band. I wouldn't even attempt to learn this song note-for-note because it's ridiculously complex for a 4 chord wonder, IMHO. Simplify it. The punters won't know the difference. I personally hate the song so had no problem doing it my own way. But then I had 20 songs to learn that week and wanted to spend more time on the songs that needed more attention to sound passable with the band.

I repeat the first 2 lines (of bass) of the song for the verses and stick with the basic root notes in the bridge and chorus. F/E/F/A/E/G then once round the chorus under the guitar solo. Still sounds quite busy.

Just my tuppence worth. Learn it quick and move on to something you'll find more fulfilling...

We do this song and its quite easy to noodle through it.
I tend to mainly do runs between the three main chords of the verses (F - C - G) and its quite effective.

Here's an older version we did for our website a few years ago. I had only been with the band about 3 months but over the last few years its developed a bit.

This was the first day i had used flats so held back a bit.

[url="http://www.blowup.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/music/make%20me%20smile.mp3"]Come up and see me[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='OldGit' post='220628' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:45 PM']Whatever you do learn the [b]gaps[/b] and where they come or you'll end up doing a an unscheduled solo ...[/quote]

+1. I've had a few brown adrenaline moments there myself, OG...

If you can get the bounciness of it, all should be fine. If you're intending that people should dance to it, it might pay to bear that in mind.

Its a fairly simple line to play really once you try it as its just repeated throughout the song. However I think its so melodic that it actually becomes part of the melody and the song sounds wrong without it. There are a few numbers where the bass line is an intregal part of the song and I think this is one of them

It sound tricky to start with but if you break it down all you got to do is learn > the intro run > 3 riffs > the middle 8 (which is a caker). The 3 riffs are the verse, the join bit and the chorus. I'm not a mode master but they all sound like they'd be pentatonic /blues fills. There are variations but nobody will know if you learn one way per section and just repeat these exactly every time. :)
The worst bit is getting the stop/starts nailed. :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='220628' date='Jun 17 2008, 02:45 PM']Whatever you do learn the [b]gaps[/b] and where they come or you'll end up doing a an unscheduled solo ...[/quote]

There's a version out there somewhere with accordion solos in those gaps - the lengths of the gaps makes more sense with the accordion in.

Andy

• 3 years later...

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1322329151' post='1449529']
Me and my guitarist play the intro, it sounds better with both us playing it and its a chance to see who mucks it up.
[/quote]

We do it together too, sounds better like that. Re the gaps (I assume we're talking about the start of the verses and when the solo starts) We take the lead from whoever's singing (or playing the solo)as you only need to come in on a certain word or the fourth note of the solo.

Hate the song but really gets a few on the dancefloor and singing along. (it's really called "Make me smile" (Come up and see me)

I'm not the greatest bassist around, and when this was suggested by my band, I thought I am going to really struggle with it.
But surprisingly, it was really quite straight forward, and I actually learnt it almost note for note.

I know with some songs you can get away with winging it, or doing your own version, but with this song
I think the bass line is so important to it, that it is best to try to get as close to it as you can.

Mind you, I don't really like playing the song live, as I think it falls in the category of 'Mustang Sally', 'Johnny B Goode' etc,
that has been done to death IMO.