Why become a member? ×

Help Anyone.

thebigyin

Hi Folks.......Just wondered if anyone could give any 'Bass Peddle' recommendations ect....i'm just getting back into playing after many years out......I've never used any sort of peddles or effects in the past....I've always been into a lot of 'Old School' stuff.....but wondered if any of the modern players enhanced there sound? I like the sound of players from the likes jamiroquai, incognito.....acid jazz funk sound if you get my drift?? Or is it just down to great playing skills.....which i'm afraid I truly lack...lol.....thanks Bob.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1379670198' post='2215429']
Lots of threads here about effects. Looking at your tastes , maybe envelope filter /synth/wah/octaver
Over to other basschatters ...
[/quote] Thanks for that i'll take a look.....or youtube some Demo's maybe......I do like a lot of 'Blues' but some of the modern stuff is very Funky which I really like....but I think that'd be just a straight thro' sound? Such a lot to learn, difficult to know where to start...but thanks again.

Hi Bob.
Welcome back to the world of bass.

If you truly lack playing skills, it may be a bit early to be considering pedals. If you have money to spend, then lessons would be a sound plan.

But whatever you decide, hope you enjoy and stick around, If you do want pedals there are always plenty in the for sale forum

Hi Bob,

At this stage if you've got an iPad or iPhone (or an android phone) I'd be inclined to pick up an iRig connector (just a few quid on the bay) and download the Amplitube app (there's a free version that gives you the gist). You can download a number of pedals pretty cheaply and listen on the headphones - the quality isn't too bad - it certainly will give you an idea what works and doesn't for you and your sound. A side benefit is that you can play along with songs you drag in from iTunes and can use it as a bass trainer as you can slow songs down without a pitch change.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1379677449' post='2215577']
Hi Bob,

At this stage if you've got an iPad or iPhone (or an android phone) I'd be inclined to pick up an iRig connector (just a few quid on the bay) and download the Amplitube app (there's a free version that gives you the gist). You can download a number of pedals pretty cheaply and listen on the headphones - the quality isn't too bad - it certainly will give you an idea what works and doesn't for you and your sound. A side benefit is that you can play along with songs you drag in from iTunes and can use it as a bass trainer as you can slow songs down without a pitch change.
[/quote]
Thanks Mart....unfortunately I don't own either, I've been listening to some Demo's on youtube......there's a good (MXR) site with some very good demo's with Bobby Vega and Uriah Duffy......plus a Boss Pedal Site and others ect. Someone recommended an Envolope Filter and Compression Pedals and possibly a Octave Pedal which I like the sound of....Cheers again to all, much appreciated advice.

I'd say for funk, you want an envelope filter. A compressor isn't gonna make the bass sound funky if it doesn't sound funky without the compressor.
Octaver can be of use as can a fuzz or overdrive pedal.

Like Musky says though, if you don't know fx, get a multi fx unit.

Edited by xgsjx

Hi, i too admire the sound of Jamiroquai whether its Paul or Stuart on bass. I'm sure they use certain effects on certain tracks but a lot of the sound they get is through their fingers and their bass guitars and amps....start by using your fingers,its cheaper and believe me its where it all starts. Its how you approach the strings that makes a difference.Watch and listen to how they play the notes....adding effects to what they do enhances what they play. Hope this helps,good luck!

[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1379715808' post='2216243']
Hi, i too admire the sound of Jamiroquai whether its Paul or Stuart on bass. I'm sure they use certain effects on certain tracks but a lot of the sound they get is through their fingers and their bass guitars and amps....start by using your fingers,its cheaper and believe me its where it all starts. Its how you approach the strings that makes a difference.Watch and listen to how they play the notes....adding effects to what they do enhances what they play. Hope this helps,good luck!
[/quote]
Thanks Paul and everyone else who've given advice....I've looked on youtube at some envelope filters they sound great....but like you say Paul it's in the fingers.....I think I've a decent 'Feel' but not a great ear.....but as i'm just starting back i'm in no hurry to get in a Band again....years ago I had an obsession with having to get out in a band and gig ect.....this time i'm going to take it slow and work on my technique....thanks again.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1379762286' post='2216514']
How come you post a thread offering help; "Help anyone", then you go and ask about pedals?

The offer's nice, but what sort of help are you offering?
[/quote]
Lol......maybe I should of worded it 'Help Needed' a lesson learnt....apologies if I misled anyone.