Why become a member? ×

The only lefty in the village?

Marc S

I thought I was something of a unique type,
in that I'm left-handed - BUT, I play a bass as if I were right handed...

A couple of years back, I had a few jams with a guitarist pal I was in a band with way back
He wrote down some phone numbers for me, then I spotted he was left-handed
but he had always played guitar in right-handed fashion!

He didn't realise I was fellow lefty, and did the same with my bass
Within a month, I had met another guitarist working in a music shop who does the same
and shortly after, joined a band who's lead guitarist did exactly the same..
turns out he's a great bassist too and plays the bass in the same fashion....

I once met a girl playing a few acoustic songs at an open mic nite,
she played a left-handed acoustic, but was right handed!
She learned on a leftie, because it was her sisters guitar

When I started playing bass, I did try a couple of lefty basses, but they didn't seem comfortable
So I just bought my self a right-handed version

I was just wondering whether there are any other bassists out there doing the same
and just how unusual this practice is??

As to thoughts on why myself & these other individuals play this way...
.... answers on a postcard please ;)

Marc

Well, that makes at least two of us.

When I went to buy my first bass, I was just concerned with finding something that was within my limited budget. I actually managed to completely forget I was left-handed in the process.

In hindsight, thinking about it, it makes more sense to me to have the dominant hand on the fingerboard, as that tends to be the one doing the most intricate work!

It's actually pretty common.

When I first got bought a bass my dad asked his left-handed guitar player if he should get my a right or left-hander (I'm a lefty). He said to get him a right, due to the fact that there would be many more options when it came to choosing instruments. So I got a right-handed instrument and that's the way I learnt, it's been 12 years now. Playing left handed is completely alien to me.

Guilty. Maybe I got too used to right-handed grand pianos and right-handed church organs (discriminating lot, those church organs!) back in my days, Idunno, but:
A left-handed guitar is impossible for me. Everything about it is just as wrong as trying to throw with my right arm or to kick with my right foot.

Do my kayaking with a left-handed paddle though, and in playing tennis to some degree have two forehands and two backhands.
Four hands! :o

This stuff never ceases to amaze me.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1378927057' post='2206683']
I'm right handed, play bass right handed, but am learning to play lefty out of sheer boredom and the want for an obscure bass-related challenge.

Liam
[/quote]

+1, as a personal challenge. I've not yet got a lefty guitar or bass (can't decide which to start on first...).
Just to complicate more, my drums have been set up lefty for the past 40 years or so. Why do I find that a more 'comfortable' set-up..? I dunno. I'm right-handed for most other things...

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1378948924' post='2207002']
I'm a lefty too, I read the the Guardian. :P
[/quote]

Ah. Slight misunderstanding. See, this thread is not about that kind of lefty.
It's about whether you read it the normal way (in Arabic or Hebrew) or in one of those righty languages like English.
:P

Another one here. The first time I picked up a guitar I had no idea where the fat and skinny strings should be so I didn't know it was a righty. It just felt natural to play it right handed and the other way felt completely wrong.

I write with the left hand and kick with the left foot but do everything else right handed e.g. bats, rackets etc. This could be the reason for my limited bass playing ability. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally defeatist - in fact I do aspire to mediocrity :)

Another one here! Left handed but play right handed. That's how I first picked the instrument up and it felt natural. Some posted earlier that it makes sense to have the dominant hand doing the fret work, this makes perfect sense.

My girlfriend picked up the ukulele the other day and started strumming it left handed. I fell into the usual "what are you doing? You're right handed!" And she said the same thing, my right hand is more dominant, shouldn't it be on the frets? My band Chloe and the high tides were originally going to be called Chloe and the south paws, as 3/5ths of us are left handed!

I'm good with most things right handed, except veg peelers! Christ they are my nemesis!

Dan

Well I would never have guessed there were so many left-handed people playing instruments intended for right-handers!
As I said initially, I thought I was the only one :o

The lefty guitarist / bassist pal I mentioned also said
he felt the dominant hand should be doing the trickier fret / finger board work
Maybe there's something in that?
But obviously, I suppose it's whatever way is more comfortable for the player....

Oddly enough, I use my knife & fork the way right handers do
fork in the left hand, knife in the right
and I always think right handers use these the wrong way too

I mean, when they're eating with a knife & fork, they use the left hand to feed themselves
and when eating a dessert they feed themselves with a spoon - in their right hand!

Oh dear, have I opened a can of worms (with my right-handed tin opener)?

Still interested to hear from other lefties playing right
and righties playing left....

Cheers
Marc