Why become a member? ×

Where does your band practice?

redbandit599

Yep, what's the secret to these home practices?

I get the electronic drum kit bit, but how does a guitarist (especially) cope? Never had much call to di or anything before, do they just run their effects into a di then into the board?
Both my guitarists have valve heads so I need a convicing approach to give them what they need in terms of drive etc.

Edited by redbandit599

Dedicated studio, 24hr access and being the only people there means we can rehearse whenever we want, for as long as we want, with gear left set up...

I've been spoilt as I've had this sort of set up in my last 4 bands, and I'd probably hate lugging gear around just to practice for a few hours if I had to do it again.

Our guitarists just use tiny practice amps, their usual pedal set ups and then di into the desk. You don't need any volume on the amps. I use an EBS 60 wattbass combo turned right down, di'd again into the desk. 6 cheap headphone amps complete the kit, one for each of us. Result, practice heaven! With the Yamaha digital mixer, we can all have our own individual mixes in the cans as well. What could be better?

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1378644657' post='2202686']
I'm amazed at all you people that rehearse on people's houses, even with electric drums!!! Surely you must still make a racket? Gosh, I love my guitarist but you could never let him lose with his Marshall stack in someone's house! LOL!
[/quote]

Yes, it makes a racket; has done for the past 30-odd years. That's why we bought the isolated ruin we did. Nearest neighbours 1 km away (but they sometimes hear us, just the same...). B)
Our home practise bass amp is a Hiwatt 200w valve amp. Neighbours..? Pshaw..! :rolleyes:

Edited by Dad3353

The key to rehearsing at home is simple - no microphones.

With the volume levels set by the unamplifed human voice, even a modest amount of sound-proofing can keep the Noise Abatement Society away from your door, and guitarists (who, let's face it, are usually the singers) quickly learn the benefits of turning down.

Good tips here.

Bob, at the risk of asking dumb questions can you just clarify your headphone set up please?

I've got the all amps turned low/off and effects into the mixer bit, just not quite clear on the output to the head phone amps?

Do you need some means of splitting the outputs from the mixer (presume you can use the monitor out and usual signal outs) so that they can then go to six headphone amps? Be great to know what those cheap headphone amps actually are too.

Cheers all!

Edited by redbandit599

On the rare occasions that we practice, it's in the studio, shed?, that I built in my, admittedly large, back garden. Home made electronic drums into an Alesis DM5, guitar, bass and vocal mics straight into an old peavey mixer. Guitarist uses effects if he feels the need but generally doesn't. No DI, just straight in to the line inputs. Aux 1 out goes to an old stereo amp for the drummer. Aux2 again to another stereo amp for the guitarist and because it's all mine, I get the main outs for my stereo amp. We all done headphones and play away. The sound is great and brilliant quality and the only thing that might be heard is just a few voices and laughter over mistakes. It's all set up and ready to go and free.

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1378650888' post='2202771']
Do you need some means of splitting the outputs from the mixer (presume you can use the monitor out and usual signal outs) so that they can then go to six headphone amps? Be great to know what those cheap headphone amps actually are too.

[/quote]

http://www.djkit.com/behringer/behringer-powerplay-pro-xl-ha4700.html?gclid=CKekrpqSvLkCFbQetAodsAgAUA

[quote name='redbandit599' timestamp='1378645556' post='2202699']
but how does a guitarist (especially) cope? Never had much call to di or anything before, do they just run their effects into a di then into the board?
Both my guitarists have valve heads so I need a convicing approach to give them what they need in terms of drive etc.
[/quote]

I'm not a tech head when it comes to this sort of stuff (I just plug in where I'm pointed) but this is what the guitarist and keys do (as well as bass and vox). All is monitored through a pair of Rokit 8s. I'd need to ask gtr and keys for more technical stuff if you want more details.

We do make a bit of noise but there haven't been to many neighbour complaints yet. With work committments rehearsals are usually 2-3 hours in the evenings.

For the covers band 4hrs + PA = £16 bargain.

We have a long running agreement with the landlord of a local pub/music venue. Vocal PA, drumkit and cabs are supplied (Ashdown mag 4x10 and Marshall 4x12) quite handy as they are almost identical to the cabs we use for gigs anyway. So we just need instruments, amp heads and drummer's breakables. We pay £20 for a 4 hour session, sometimes less if I help run the PA for gigs on the weekends. Plus, as an added bonus its only a 10 minute walk from my house!

At home, individually. Two of us work shifts so trying to get us all in the same place other than for gigs is not really possible most of the time. I've been in this band since January and we have managed exactly 7 rehearsals together. We all make sure we're learning the same version of a particular song (i.e. the album version and not the live version or someone else's version) and it works. The downside is that we don't get the opportunity to extend or "jam out" songs, but it's not really a problem for me - that's a guitarist's little ego trip. :)

Songwriting sessions are all our drummers living room with acoustic guitars, 25w bass amp and a cajon. Then we transfer that into the rehearsal room at a local studio (White Bear Studios in Adlington. One VERY loud rehearsal room) to rehearse an electric set and make any final tweaks we need to get it giggable.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='merlin' timestamp='1378634894' post='2202558']
In the van! most arrangments are done this way,any changes to the songs done at the bar,hehe :P ,but once in a blue moon the local studios,todate one rehearsal in six months,but thats just us.. :D :D
[/quote]

Brill, keeps you on your toes ;-)

Acoustics and a cajon eh? I quite like the sound of that. I used to badger our drummer about getting one but he never seemed keen (Andy, if you're reading this I might start again! :rolleyes: - I've sent the link out to my mates in the band.)

The common theme is that there seems to be many solutions to the 'problem' just need to try a few out probably, I think to be honest we haven't changed our approach since we first started and maybe we can get a bit more flexible to maximise our time. Cheers all, good ideas. Hope others are getting something from this too.