Why become a member? ×

The first song you ever learned.?

bubinga5

If we are talking "all the way through" it would have to be the (simple) version of "all along the watch tower" off "Rattle and Hum"
I figured it out by ear, along with the small rhythmic variations in an otherwise fairly consistent riff. It made me want a sunburst 70s precision just for the sound alone,.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1378383411' post='2199421']

That wa the first thing I learned to play on bass, but only the famous bit at the end.
The first actual song I learned was Bowie's John I'm Only Dancing, because it was in the copy of Bassist I had just bought.
[/quote]

Me too with the famous bit from The Chain! Well either that or Lounge Act by Nirvana.

Lounge Act was the reason I picked up a bass, but I think the guy I bought the bass off showed me The Chain before I bought it. I then plugged the bass into my dad's hifi at home....very quickly blowing the speakers!

My first song I learnt throughout was 'ain't no mountain high' - Marvin Gaye version. As you can imagine it was very frustrating learning a line like that and having absolutely no technique! I then gave Louis Johnsons 'Stomp' a go and loved the slap part, when it eventually fell in place. It was a frustrating 6 months ! :lol:

i was learning jumping jack flash which was going to be the first song played live by our little band at a school concert back in 1980 something, i learnt the tune but sadly my management ie my mum & dad had booked a holiday which clashed with the gig :lol:
so my moment of fame had to go on the backburner

Until I joined a proper band I spent the first year either making stuff up or playing blues patterns from a book I had. Once I joined a band I had to learn a few songs, obviously, but the first would be either Metallica - Seek & Destroy, Megadeth - Peace Sells or a song by Zodiac Mindwarp that I don't think I ever learned the name of. Oh! Or it could have been Dressed in White by King Diamond. Gah! I can't remember for sure, one of those.
The trouble was that they didn't play any songs that I had ever even heard before. Those first couple of weeks were tricky, while trying to keep them impressed enough to keep me as they were all 18+ and I was only 13.