Why become a member? ×

The next "big thing" in bass development?

Ghosts Over Japan

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1378447960' post='2200331']
i've often wondered why some british luthier doesn't make a bass totally of native woods.
[/quote]

What could they use for the fretboard? Is the native field maple hard enough for a fretboard? The body would be easy, with alder, linden, and ash being commonly used woods, as well as woods such as oak and walnut.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1382259780' post='2249697']
What could they use for the fretboard? Is the native field maple hard enough for a fretboard? The body would be easy, with alder, linden, and ash being commonly used woods, as well as woods such as oak and walnut.
[/quote]
I made enquiries about it with Jon Shuker in the past. Supply of woods is very inconsistent...often they are acquired on an accidental basis if sourced outside the commercial supply chain. 'Found woods' also need time to dry. Architectural salvage yards may be the best source of stable woods but provenance would be hard to establish. I have a stash of crab apple back in NZ I am planning to use at some point...if it dries without cracking.

Sycamore for the fingerboard BTW, field maple is a slightly different species.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1382259780' post='2249697']
[/quote]

For a fretted bass, does it matter? So long as the wood holds the frets securely (and these days a lot of luthiers glue the frets in place) it should be fine. Unless you use very light strings with a "death grip" fretting technique the strings never touch the fingerboard.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1382262764' post='2249733']
For a fretted bass, does it matter? So long as the wood holds the frets securely (and these days a lot of luthiers glue the frets in place) it should be fine. Unless you use very light strings with a "death grip" fretting technique the strings never touch the fingerboard.
[/quote]

You're surely not suggesting a rosewood board will sound the same as a maple board, are you? Round here? ;)

I'll start the car... :)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1382264189' post='2249753']
You're surely not suggesting a rosewood board will sound the same as a maple board, are you? Round here? ;)
[/quote]

I sure it does sound different. Whether it's different enough within the overall band mix is debatable. And whether it's different in a consistent and predictable way is even more debatable.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1378334751' post='2198974']
Er

[url="http://s927.photobucket.com/user/Delberthot/media/-53PRECISIONBASS005_zps588ba57e.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

"Through body bridges" is what the OP said, not "through body stringing".
I think the OP is referring to things like the 2TEK bridge.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1382270059' post='2249823']
They really should make a bass with just a simple pick up, passive vol and tone (after all amps do everything else you need), a nice contour to rest your arm, and a neck with precise frets and easy to adjust pegs.
[/quote]
Hmmm, I might buy one of those.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1378469598' post='2200767']
I've been trying to remember the last "big things" to shake my bass world.

They were a passive P bass and flats. So I'm improving by going backwards it seems.
[/quote]

Same here.
God I'm getting old.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1382270059' post='2249823']
They really should make a bass with just a simple pick up, passive vol and tone (after all amps do everything else you need), a nice contour to rest your arm, and a neck with precise frets and easy to adjust pegs.
[/quote]
It'll never take off.......

• 3 weeks later...

This lecture by Ned Steinberger on the future of musical instrument design is worth a look. He talks about the relationship between musicians and technology but ultimately doesn't know where its going to go.

[url="http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40596134"]http://www.ustream.t...corded/40596134[/url]

• 9 years later...
On 10/11/2013 at 16:23, ChickenKiev said:

The next big thing is the Evertune bridge.

At the minute they only have it for guitar but I predict it won't be long until we start seeing an Evertune for bass.

They also need to develop some sort of Evertune tremolo system and we'll be set.

Zombie thread resurrection alert!

Looks like the future has now arrived. Emperor's new clothes or genuine progress?

• Haha 1