Why become a member? ×

Class D Amps

rodacademy

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1378219033' post='2197206']
Not really. My Walkabout is very light, and I use a pair of cabs that weigh 10kgs each....
[/quote]
Thats all good too IMO, light is light however it is acheived, just goes to show there are ways of getting the sound you are happy with without the lead weight :)

Here is another thing for me, I dont care that much! :o If its a massive stage where a big rig would be nice then there will be a great PA with a great foldback, If I ever play the Robin at Bilston again I might just take my Shuttle 3.0 and DI that and have me in my wedge, the PA and the crew using it there are ace. If its the dog and sausage then half the time I take a single 1x12 and a Shuttle 6.0 which is plenty and often I am cutting the lows as its too full a sound for the room anyway. I wouldn't use a full Ashdown rig over my 2x12 and Shuttlemax9.2 even if they weighed exactly the same or I had a roadie to carry them so there is certainly not a lightweight Vs heavyweight discussion anymore.

There are amps you like and amps you dont regardless of specification, weight, power type, ratings etc. My favourite sound is a 4 string Stingray via a Peavey TNT combo, I own neither!

Sounds like a but of a generalisation to me, it's like saying all Neo cabs sound the same, they are all different in tone/ build and quality.

I've owned/played 3 different class D amps, GB streamliner/ shuttlemax 9.2 and orange bass terror and all sounded completely different.

Also, none of them suffered from lack of power or presence, especially my current shuttlemax 9.2.

Cheers

Thebassman

For me, the small lightweight amps are great. They have a great sound, and the practicality needs no explanation. I think back to my Marshall DBS7400 & VBC412 rig, and think, for the gigs I did back then, it was incredibly under-used. Sure, if I had been playing really large stages it would have come into its own, but I didn`t and still don`t, so a smaller, lighter rig is the better solution, especially as I have a bad back. Yes, the bigger heavier valve amps do have a great sound, but they need matching to the venues in my opinion, rather like guitarists with 412s. In a pub or small club a 212 combo is more than sufficient, in fact, to me, they have a sharper sound that is less all-encompassing, you can actually tell what`s going on.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1378224881' post='2197304']

But the player might. Surely that counts for something..?
[/quote]
All the audience notices is if the band sounds as good as the band last week and the week before! Part of that overall impression comes from how good the bass sounds...

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1378225543' post='2197317']
Sounds like a but of a generalisation to me, it's like saying all Neo cabs sound the same, they are all different in tone/ build and quality.

I've owned/played 3 different class D amps, GB streamliner/ shuttlemax 9.2 and orange bass terror and all sounded completely different.
[/quote]

I've owned - for a decent chunk of time - an Acoustic Image Focus, TC RH450, Streamliner 900 and Ibanez Promethean... yep, they all sound different but just didn't cut it in the feel department in a similar sort of way. It's not immediate - it took me a while to realise with each that there was something missing (apart from the TC which I hated from the start. ha ha.).

Coinicidence? Maybe. Maybe not. At least three of those use the same power module.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1378221075' post='2197242']
An electronics engineer (an authorised service engineer for the likes of Yamaha and Ampeg) explained to me the difference between digital, solid state and valve...and it made complete sense why people say class D is good but just lacks something. Suffice to say I won't be buying one in a hurry.

He also explained why they can be unreliable.
:P
[/quote]
Can you explain that to us lot then!?

In an almost mirror experience, I've owned and gigged (amongst others) a TC RH450, a LMIII, a Streamliner 900, a Mesa Walkabout, a Mesa M-Pulse and an Ashdown Spyder 550. All the big ones went (actually quicker than the smaller ones) and I've kept the Streamliner. Coincidence? It's all about what the player notices, y'see... :D

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1378230713' post='2197452']
In an almost mirror experience, I've owned and gigged (amongst others) a TC RH450, a LMIII, a Streamliner 900, a Mesa Walkabout, a Mesa M-Pulse and an Ashdown Spyder 550. All the big ones went (actually quicker than the smaller ones) and I've kept the Streamliner. Coincidence? It's all about what the player notices, y'see... :D
[/quote]

Absolutely. And I've noticed something lacking from the Class D's I've used. A few other people have spotted it, too.

It's not something that bothers other people. Yay them!

[size=4][quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1378225506' post='2197315']
Head wise I'm not fussed either way, since a rack box can be carried in one hand whether it has a 20kg weight of a 5kg weight.
But it's the heavy cabs that I don't like.
[/quote]

This. I have a fairly heavy 2U amp in a 4U rack with a pre and a comp, but my 1X12 cabs weigh 18kg each.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1378224881' post='2197304']
But the player might. Surely that counts for something..?
[/quote]

Everything.... :lol: not much to do with anyone else... ha ha !!
This last summer of festivals and stages has really determined which rig to take out as far as I am concerned.
but I have also had the most positive feedback from the band and a few musos ... so all good..!!

What we are talking about here...IMO.. is sound and the weight behind it...Nothing to do with volume.
Most amps and rigs don't have much trouble putting it out volume-wise...but it is how they put it out that is the final
thing missing...

It is what makes me take the heavy rig out for the most discerning gigs.

My slum-it rig is TF550-B and Berg, so no slouch either at all..but it is definitely second best to my ears..

I must be mutton (well I'm pretty sure I am) but my current setup is the best I've ever had (IMO obviously) and gets compliments for the sound in all the bands I've played with recently and from a number of other BP's.

Streamliner 6, or more recently the TC BH250, into the Barefaced Super12T. Sounds marvellous, takes up little space & doesn't break my back.

I have a vintage Marshall Superbass 100 that does sound lovely but it weighs a frickin ton & is too old & fragile

I think their are some extremes of views here, but it's not black and white at all.

I really like Markbass, but at higher volumes (proper loud) to my ears it compresses and loses a bit of definition. Basically I used to feel I wash running out of steam. But I feel with my GBE (and also with my ex EBS 350) that there is juice in the tank and reserves there. Marginal but enough for me to feel happier.

None of these products in this thread are bad, they are all excellent. We are really spoilt for choice.

A proper shoot out is required.

Edited by nottswarwick

LMIII and all cables in a laptop size bag. Pedals in front of gig bag. Bass in gig bag. Cab in each hand. One trip and I have a superb sounding, powerful rig. Just one cab in hand if its a smaller gig.

Nobody ever believes it until they hear it... No goin back to 'Mesa Yabackup' or other heavy valve stuff for me!

Edited by skej21

It's a difficult one, I know my Streamliner 900 is way more powerful and goes much louder without distortion than the previous Hartke amps I've had, and I was very happy with them. The improvement in sound and ease of movement (the HA5000 weighed a ton!) has been life changing.

However, I can't compare it to a 'proper' big amp, an all valve one, as I don't have access to one. I think the valve amp would probably sound better. Won't be swapping though, even if I proved it to myself.

The easy, one trip from the car is a one way ticket from 4x10s etc and birch ply!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1378221075' post='2197242']
An electronics engineer (an authorised service engineer for the likes of Yamaha and Ampeg) explained to me the difference between digital, solid state and valve...and it made complete sense why people say class D is good but just lacks something. Suffice to say I won't be buying one in a hurry.

He also explained why they can be unreliable.

Just to add, I'm probably one of the weediest, skinniest blokes on earth and I've also got a bad back due to work. However, I don't have any problems moving my Ampeg cab around, it weighs over 35kg. COME ON YOU LOT, MAN UP!!!!! :P
[/quote]

A switched mode power supply is probably more reliable than something with valves in, more so when they are being lumped around. However there are books on Class A, A/B, D etc so probably not worth getting all hot and bothered about it on here (electronic degree here so some knowledge of the internal gubbins). Each to their own.

Edited by ead