Why become a member? ×

Bassees of the Eightees

rodacademy

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1377724795' post='2191071']
You're all wrong! It'll be something with Moog, Roland, Oberheim, Sequential Circuits or similar across the front it. Or if we're talking after 1983, a Yamaha DX7! ;)
[/quote]
Or a Fairlight

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1377721606' post='2190973']
Soundwise Wal probably, but lookswise Steinberger all the way. Nothing says 80s as much as one of those.
[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. I would add that the Wal must be fretless with a cheesey chorus effect.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1377763074' post='2191368']
Man that white one is an attractive piece of kit... I've no idea what these sound like and never played one but that's seriously easy on the eye.

Rob
[/quote]

The XLs...

The white one is close to mint and my go-to bass Rob. The black one is absolutely pristine and is for trade.
They sound as big and fat and punchy as any bass I've played. Hotter output than my Bongo too.
Being small and made of graphite, they travel well and stay in tune.
The pivot point of the boomerang being the CoG of the bass, you don't feel it after a whole night's playing.
You mainly need to get used to the fact that the nut is a little bit further away when the bass is strapped on - can mess with your muscle memory a bit.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1377764736' post='2191399']
The XLs...

The white one is close to mint and my go-to bass Rob. The black one is absolutely pristine and is for trade.
They sound as big and fat and punchy as any bass I've played. Hotter output than my Bongo too.
Being small and made of graphite, they travel well and stay in tune.
The pivot point of the boomerang being the CoG of the bass, you don't feel it after a whole night's playing.
You mainly need to get used to the fact that the nut is a little bit further away when the bass is strapped on - can mess with your muscle memory a bit.

CB
[/quote]

Yeah I bet it takes a bit of getting used to, as does any new bass. They look great though.. especially as a pair like in your photo! Must be pretty rare as well, I haven't seen many around?

I'd be tempted by the Black one if I wasn't hoarding my bass funds until the right Wal becomes available...

Rob

I had a Hamer Scarab for a while. Didn't really like it. And a hohner B2A and a status 4000 and several aria basses. (currently I've got an SB-R 150 and it's spectacular.)
But it's got to be the Steinberger. I've an early XL-2 with the plug in leg rest. What an incredible sound, nothing like anything else. It's just a big fundamental note. No woody harmonics jumping out, just a big fat lowness.
Here's the Aria

and the XL-2

I think there were different basses in different markets. But definitely headless. It was a time when good design took priority over vintage snobbery.

US market:
Early 80's
Steinberger was everywhere. Sting, Lee Sklar, UB40,Wet Wet Wet, etc.

Metal - definitely Charvel and Jackson, I remember Bryan Adam's bass player playing a Charvel. Not bad basses either, the 3B's.

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1377762771' post='2191362']
I could be mistaken thinking this was an 80s bass, but the Yamaha BB series screams 80s to me as my dad swore by them and never played anything else around that time period, :)
[/quote]

I was thinking the BB5000 was absolutely everywhere in the late 80s...other than in the UK. Nathan East had one, Wayne Nelson the bassist in LRB, Mister Mister...etc. Nice basses too if you liked close string spacing.

UK market:
Status, no question, with Jaydee and Wal as follow ups. I remember reading the classifieds of NME and drooling over the Statii, Wals and Jaydees for sale. One day I bagged my own Jaydee and it was my only bass for 12 years. It still sets the standard in terms of what I'm used to and feel comfortable on.

I remember alot of marlins around in the 80s i had a marlin sidewinder bass and my best mate at school had the marlin guitar
i used to go to kingfisher music and gawp at aria sb basses and modern music in basingstoke always had yamahas but sadly i could only afford the bow neck marlin with two pickups both crap
Another bassist i knew had a columbus looked a bit like steve harris's bass and sounded pretty good

[quote name='rodacademy' timestamp='1377801596' post='2192144']
So forgot about the Thunder!!
[/quote]
Not important. :P The only band playing Westones I can remember were INXS.

I wish I had photos of my Steiny XL25A to hand. Phenomenal lows. No surprise they're popular with dubsters.

Dammit...I like 80's basses. OK I've said it.