Why become a member? ×

Buying a used bass... nervous

Evil Undead

After a bad experience in the past (which we won't discuss!), I've been really nervous about buying used gear. And I haven't bought a used bass since. Until now.

A project I've just joined requires drop B, so not wanting to mess with my current setup or splash out too much cash, I decided to buy a used bass. Found a used Ibanez SR300 on eBay, "won" the auction at a good price, and am now starting to feel the anxiety setting in.

Along the lines of

Why did no one else bid?
Ah crap the seller only has one feedback
Does it have anything wrong with the electronics that hasn't been disclosed? What about the truss rod? You guys know how I am with those damn things haha!

Am I just being unnecessarily worried about this stuff?

It's cash on collection so I'm not worried about paying and not getting anything. But, although I'll able to view it, I have won the auction so I'm kinda committed. And also, I doubt he'd be happy for me to get my Allen keys out and start tinkering.

Not ALL eBayers are crooks EU. There are still some bargains out there. The fact that your seller only had one feedback probably explains it, but we all have had only one feedback at sometime. You are collecting and paying cash, so if it isn't up to scratch, and not as described reject it. A "new" ebayer won't argue the toss anyway. An old seasoned scammer with a new identity might tho.
Good luck. i hope it's everything you hoped for.

Inform the seller that you want to try it through an amp when you collect. A quick play on the bass should give you an idea of whether to proceed or not.

Every seller has to start off with no feedback, be it on here or Evilbay. Benefit of the doubt, but if the bass isn`t up to scratch, make sure you leave feedback that reflects this. The more justified negative feedback that is put out there the better for both the genuine buyers, and sellers.

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1376941231' post='2181326']
as long as its as described your ok and if it isnt just decline it and say to them its not as the description
[/quote]
[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1376941396' post='2181333']
Not ALL eBayers are crooks EU. There are still some bargains out there. The fact that your seller only had one feedback probably explains it, but we all have had only one feedback at sometime. You are collecting and paying cash, so if it isn't up to scratch, and not as described reject it. A "new" ebayer won't argue the toss anyway. An old seasoned scammer with a new identity might tho.
Good luck. i hope it's everything you hoped for.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1376941771' post='2181346']
Inform the seller that you want to try it through an amp when you collect. A quick play on the bass should give you an idea of whether to proceed or not.

Every seller has to start off with no feedback, be it on here or Evilbay. Benefit of the doubt, but if the bass isn`t up to scratch, make sure you leave feedback that reflects this. The more justified negative feedback that is put out there the better for both the genuine buyers, and sellers.
[/quote]
[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1376941465' post='2181334']
Don't worry, it'll be fine.

For me buying used is the best option always! As long as they have been cared for instruments that have been played in are MUCH better than new ones.
[/quote]

Cheers guys. I'm sure it will be fine, but bad experiences really sit with a person... I'm sure we've all been there.

Is there any way I can tell just by looking at it whether the truss rod will be all good or not?

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1376941818' post='2181348']
Cheers guys. I'm sure it will be fine, but bad experiences really sit with a person... I'm sure we've all been there.

Is there any way I can tell just by looking at it whether the truss rod will be all good or not?
[/quote]
You have to learn from experience, but don't ask me how to do that without getting jaded and embittered...

I don't believe there is any way to tell if the truss rod is ok or not without trying to adjust it. But if the bass is tuned to pitch, with usable strings on, and has a playable action, then you should be ok. (In that you should be able to play the bass even if the rod turns out to be impossible to adjust).

Is there a basschatter who could accompany you when you pick the bass up, to make you feel more comfortable? Where is the pickup?

I don't know how good a tip this is, but personally, I'd tune it and look closely at some details, and then play it softly before playing it in an angry anger kind of way, and then play it softly again whilst trying to notice whether something has changed in tuning, neck angle or whatever.
IME, a good instrument can handle some abuse.

Edited by BassTractor

Three of my 4 basses came via ebay, unseen (other than the ebay pics) and unplayed and but for a bit of extra tweaking they've all been excellent instruments. My ric 4003 was only my second ever ebay transaction and remains the most money I've ever spent on either ebay or on any bass since.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1376941818' post='2181348']

[/quote]
Hold the low E string at the first and last fret and look at the gap at the 12th fret - should be about 0.5mm - 1mm - even if its more or less its likely sortable provided you can shift the truss rod nut/screw by a quarter turn or so its probably ok.

Edit for corrected value

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1376945475' post='2181457']

Hold the low E string at the first and last fret and look at the gap at the 12th fret - should be about 2mm - 3mm - even if its more or less its likely sortable provided you can shift the truss rod nut/screw by a quarter turn or so its probably ok.
[/quote]

Really? I know set ups are a matter of personal taste, but I'd have thought 0.3mm would be more normal for neck relief.

BTW, Evil Undead, I've never bought a new bass, and mine have all been fine :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1376944988' post='2181435']
I guess the risk is all relative to the cost ...what did you pay for it ???
[/quote]

One hundred English squids.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1376946282' post='2181472']
Mel, are you collecting or is it being shipped to you?
If you're not collecting would you like another BCer to collect it and take a look before parting with the cash?
[/quote]

That would be awesome. I don't know of anyone close enough that I could inconvenience in that way though.

I'm collecting it on wednesday

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1376945475' post='2181457']

Hold the low E string at the first and last fret and look at the gap at the 12th fret - should be about 2mm - 3mm - even if its more or less its likely sortable provided you can shift the truss rod nut/screw by a quarter turn or so its probably ok.
[/quote]

That is way too much relief. I'd be looking for holding at first and last fret as described, and then seeing a gap in the middle of the thickness of a business card, approx, for correct relief.

Looks ok. It is the older model of Sr300. Decent basses and the bridge looks original from what I remember. Just give it a good going over and make sure the active controls are working ok, the neck looks ok etc. If the bass is all ok, you got a decent bass for your cash.

One thing. If you play fingerstyle and rest your thumb on the pickup, due to the shape of the pickups following the radius of the neck, if you jam a plectrum between the body and the pickup it gives you a better anchor for your thumb.

I'd say £100 for an SR300 is a bit of a steal. Not to everyone's taste, but they're pretty nice basses.

As above, check the bass over, don't be afraid to ask if the truss-rod is good, etc. Even if you take it away, and then spend £30-£40 on a pro setup, you've still got a lot of bass for not much money.