Why become a member? ×

Buying a used bass... nervous

Evil Undead

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1377000621' post='2181977']
Looks ok. It is the older model of Sr300. Decent basses and the bridge looks original from what I remember. Just give it a good going over and make sure the active controls are working ok, the neck looks ok etc. If the bass is all ok, you got a decent bass for your cash.

One thing. If you play fingerstyle and rest your thumb on the pickup, due to the shape of the pickups following the radius of the neck, if you jam a plectrum between the body and the pickup it gives you a better anchor for your thumb.
[/quote] Unless you play with a floating thumb, in which case you won't have a problem.

If the bridge does give any problems you can change it yourself if the mount is standard and you know your way round a screwdriver- which I don't doubt. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Prices on ebay are pretty low, if you have a look at completed items you will find that the price of ibanez sr305 are around that. I have been looking as I am interested in the 505s or 705s, if I can get one at the right price.

There are quite a few round but I suspect they are fine. I have bought loads of instruments on ebay and haven't had any issues.

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1377002692' post='2182022']
Not sure where you and/or the bass are located, as I'm using the mobile site, but I'm not at work tomorrow so if you want a bit of backup/a second pair of eyes on the bass then PM me some details and I'll see if I can help.

Ta
[/quote]

That's very kind, thank you. I'd take you up on it if you were closer :)

I'm in Gloucestershire and the bass is in Wiltshire

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1377062556' post='2182771']

That's very kind, thank you. I'd take you up on it if you were closer :)

I'm in Gloucestershire and the bass is in Wiltshire
[/quote]

Any normal day I'd have said that I'd come along anyway, but I've taken a few days off to do some building work on my house; my timescale for the work I need to do wouldn't allow for a 6 ish hour break.

Hope the bass is in good order.

Let us know when you've got it.

I'm sure it will be fine Mel - I haven't bought a new bass in years and they've all been great apart from one- even that one I sold for what I bought it for. I've actually been toying with the idea of an Ibanez myself (my son had an SR300 for a few months and it was great - wish I'd held on to it)

If you have any problems I'm sure we'll all be able to help you out; I might even buy it off you if you don't like it.

Ok, so I went to pick it up. The action was sky high, with about 1.5mm relief. I thought uh oh, but then I noticed a Washburn Taurus on a stand that was even worse... decided that the guy had never heard of a set up in his life. Tried it through an amp, all working ok. So I came home with it.

I've given it some tweaks and it plays well now. Can't get the action quite as low as on my SR600 as I think it needs a fret level, but it's more than acceptable. And for £100, plus about £10 fuel, not too bad at all.

EDIT: Ooops, photo came out sideways and I don't know how to fix it :D

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1377153260' post='2183939']
Yes! Nice one! So......more on the way now then? :)
[/quote] Don't encourage her! I'm sure Mel will be just fine with the one.

We don't want her nicking all the bargains now do we? :P

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1377116765' post='2183669']
Ok, so I went to pick it up. The action was sky high, with about 1.5mm relief. I thought uh oh, but then I noticed a Washburn Taurus on a stand that was even worse... decided that the guy had never heard of a set up in his life.
[/quote]

I had found the same thing when I got my Iceman. The owner was selling because he was 'upgrading'. Now, the old ICB200s aren't top-of-the-range, but they're pretty nice basses. It just had sky-high action and furry strings. A quick setup was all it needed.