Why become a member? ×

Longevity of 1960's cover bands?

Dandelion

Please..

It is not my intention to annoy folk but.........

I am currently inbetween bands, and bored.

A position has been offered in a newly forming 60's band.

They have good gear and own rehearsal space and PA etc.

They are local.

I want to throw my all into something, but I was hoping for a more rock orientated position, but there aren't any around here.

Been following "Join my band" and its clones and local music press. There is nothing out there at the moment.

I am 40.

I depped for a similar band a couple of months ago as a favour, and I realy enjoyed it.

But, how much life is there in a 60's cover band?

A 1970's band I would jump at, but 60's?

Is there any mileage in it.

I know some people rave about the 1960's. and it is almost sacred.

But it was over 50 years ago.

Would I be flogging a dead horse by accepting this?

If you getting out there and enjoying playing some songs with a decent group of people , does it matter what era they are from ? There were so many great songs from that decade that I think it could be a blast playing them . I can see no reason whatsoever to reject this oppotunity out of hand because it's '60's music .

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1376663519' post='2177633']Is there any mileage in it.

I know some people rave about the 1960's. and it is almost sacred.

But it was over 50 years ago.[/quote]

Are you concerned that the people who were young in the 1960s will have all died off and won't be there to furnish you with an audience in ten or fifteen years? That's long-term thinking, I'll grant you that... :)

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1376670670' post='2177820']
Don't forget that rock started in the 60s, The Who, Cream, Hendrix, Deep Purple, Vanilla Fudge, Pink Floyd, Yardbirds, Zeppelin, the list is virtually endless.
[/quote]
!960s?

1959 for me!!!!!!!! :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2j7sLUDkDM[/media]

......and it took me ages to do my hair like that every morning. :(

Edited by BetaFunk

A friends band do really well out of it...and I was reluctant to go and see them as I had these pre-conceptions about material
but they had such a good spin on numbers....that it was very entertaing.

I think...or have learnt...that if you think the 60's is boring, then you are picking the wrong numbers

What can be wrong with the Small Faces, Who and Stones..to start with...!!!

My band do music almost entirely from the 50's and 60's and we always seem to go down pretty well. I think blues and rock n roll has a great vibe and feel that people naturally gravitate to whether they know the songs or not.
Some of our best gigs have been in front of a bar full of 18-30's!!

Truckstop

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1376674130' post='2177898']Not much demand for dubstep cover bands at the minute...[/quote]

Haha, no indeed! But a huge demand for dubstep amongst young clubbers ;) And plenty of acid house revival nights for ageing ravers like me. Horses for courses and all that.

Personally I think good music is timeless regardless of the decade it was produced in. 60s soul can certainly hold its own on modern day dancefloors - and continues to be sampled by contemporary producers.

It all depends on what tracks you choose. Very easy to pick dated cliches from any decade. I certainly wouldn't be put off by it - just choose wisely.