Why become a member? ×

Fender to finally make the Starcaster bass and reissue the Coronado?

neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375914644' post='2167513']
If I had a quid for every time you start a sentence with a variant of "if it had 5 strings"... ;)
[/quote]

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1375918671' post='2167555']
I never thought I would ever see this statement.

Pass the smelling salts.
[/quote]

I say it because there are loads of basses that I like the look of, but can't entertain owning because they don't make a 5-string version. I haven't played any of my 4-string basses in a gigging or recording situation for over 5 years now, and consequently I'm in the process of selling them all. Given that it would be pointless for me to buy any new 4-string basses. I have a hankering after a good semi-acoustic bass so these new Fenders do look interesting. However the 5-string Warwick Star Bass I've just bought might well be the one for me.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375955757' post='2167787']
I say it because there are loads of basses that I like the look of, but can't entertain owning because they don't make a 5-string version.
[/quote]

I know why you say it, I'm just having a chuckle at the frequency of it. Must be frustrating though, you make it seem almost as bad as being a lefty.

I just wish Fender hadn't reused the starcaster brand name for their cheap line of strat guitars. Now we get off topic posts like the one far above talking about cheap strats instead of the imho absolutely incredible semi-hollowbody starcaster from the 70s that I loved so much.

guitarist in my band in 1989/1990 had two of them with seymour duncan pickups installed - those were the best semi-acoustic rock guitars I've ever played/heard.

love 'em

a starcaster bass would be sexy looking and sounding I bet! and with that fender neck!? mmmm

Yeah, this is really quite something...I wonder if it's a response to the high sale price of one of the original Starcaster bass prototypes at Chicago Music Exchange ($20,000 or so) or the fact that Fano guitars have done their version of a Starcaster Bass; [url="http://www.fanoguitars.com/altdefactoGF4.html"]http://www.fanoguitars.com/altdefactoGF4.html[/url] It looks like a Mexican or even one of the Modern Player series. I'm in, Hope it's a 34" though, think the original prototypes were a 32" scale.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1376135253' post='2170049']
Yeah, this is really quite something...I wonder if it's a response to the high sale price of one of the original Starcaster bass prototypes at Chicago Music Exchange ($20,000 or so) or the fact that Fano guitars have done their version of a Starcaster Bass; [url="http://www.fanoguitars.com/altdefactoGF4.html"]http://www.fanoguita...defactoGF4.html[/url] It looks like a Mexican or even one of the Modern Player series. I'm in, Hope it's a 34" though, think the original prototypes were a 32" scale.
[/quote]

That's one of the most sick-making headstocks I've ever seen, even worse than the Ibanez Roadstar ..

Woah. That Coronado and Starcaster bass look immense. It's about time Fender gives us some hollow-bodied action.

On a slightly seperate note I was checking the Fender website the other day and for the first time noticed the Fender Modern Player Dimension Bass. I like the idea of the triple bucker for sure. Gives me a kinda Precision meets Gibson kind of vibe. I'm just really not sure about the looks of the bass itself. The pickguard is just eh, and the body shape is kinda lazy in my opinion. Its like they nailed a diamond to a turd. They should have given us a Marauder Bass instead. It'd be sortof like a Jazz but with a few different lines, similar to how we have the Jaguar Bass. Not only that but the new Marauder Guitar has a triple bucker and I think they could have carried the idea over and given us the bass equivalent.

I love what Fender are doing at the minute with their Modern Player and Pawn Shop series'. New/old body styles from the past that have been brought kicking and screaming into the 21st century and new and quirky takes on the classic Strat, Tele, Jag, Precision and Jazz designs.

Keep it up Fender!

Edited by ChickenKiev

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1375955991' post='2167794']
I know why you say it, I'm just having a chuckle at the frequency of it. Must be frustrating though, you make it seem almost as bad as being a lefty.
[/quote]

In a lot of ways it's good for keeping GAS in check. Before I instituted the 5-string only rule I bought a lot of basses which I only used a couple of times before abandoning them for something that I could play the whole set on.

However, I am now able to withdraw my 5-string request for one of these since buying a Warwick Star Bass 5-string which has completely satisfied my hollow-body bass needs.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1376139506' post='2170120']
That's one of the most sick-making headstocks I've ever seen, even worse than the Ibanez Roadstar ..

[/quote]

I don't get what's not to love about these headstocks, they're like the traditional Fender ones but more swoopy and awesome.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1375882545' post='2166869']
Now why did they also name the sub-Squier Affinity range "Starcaster"?
[/quote]

This one? [url="http://www.tesco.com/direct/fender-starcaster-jazz-bass-guitar-black/517-7012.prd"]http://www.tesco.com/direct/fender-starcaster-jazz-bass-guitar-black/517-7012.prd[/url]. Yeah, whenever I hear the name starcaster I think of Tesco and their mislabelled Fender "jazz" bass...

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1375882545' post='2166869']
Now why did they also name the sub-Squier Affinity range "Starcaster"?
[/quote]

I was always well aware of the origins of the Starcaster name, so this misappropriation always irritated me. Time to reclaim the name!

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1376154979' post='2170359']

I don't get what's not to love about these headstocks, they're like the traditional Fender ones but more swoopy and awesome.
[/quote]

Yep, I think it's awesome! I think I'd want one less if it had the standard Fender shape.

Sorry xilddx, I like the Ibanez one as well!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375912633' post='2167480']
If there was a 5-string of either of these I could be persuaded to actually buy a Fender bass!
[/quote]

Me too. I played a Coronado in a shop a few years ago and nearly bought it before realising that I had misread the price tag. It would make my day if they were to make them with 5 strings. I had a look at the semi-acoustic 5-string Warwicks on the interwebs and they were horrifically far outside of my budget!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1376139506' post='2170120']

[/quote]
The thing that makes me sick about this picture is the idiotic stringing...whst a bloody mess.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1376163777' post='2170476']
Me too. I played a Coronado in a shop a few years ago and nearly bought it before realising that I had misread the price tag. It would make my day if they were to make them with 5 strings. I had a look at the semi-acoustic 5-string Warwicks on the interwebs and they were horrifically far outside of my budget!
[/quote]

Thomann are currently doing the 5-string MiK Star Bass for just over £700. That's about £1000 off!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1376917109' post='2180771']
Some more pics I found on Fender's flickr:

[/quote]

Nice! That bottom picture. That black bass, ohmmmm. I want it!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1376917746' post='2180789']
Bet you weren't expecting to see your lunch again so soon, xilddx. Enjoy :)

[/quote]

It does look a little bit phallic. I kinda like it though. It makes a lovely change from the standard headstock.

Edited by ChickenKiev