Why become a member? ×

Been listening to a lot of genesis at the moment

marcus bell

For me they are one of the finest prog rock bands ever...with Gabriel! Sorry, and I don't say this lightly....I absolutely detest the Collins era...especially after the genius that is Hackett walked out of the door.

My favourite LP's - "Foxtrot" & "Selling England by the pound". Prog gold.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1375807107' post='2165976']
I might go to see one of the Hackett 'Regenesis' shows in October, I've seen some very positive reviews.
[/quote]

I saw Steve Hackett and band at the Hammersmith Odeon earlier this year. Tribute band ReGenesis weren't taking part though :)

The "Mike Rutherford" of the band is Lee Pomeroy - he had a custom lefty bass/12-string built for him by 3R Guitars, see [url="http://www.3rguitars.co.uk/twin%20neck.htm"]http://www.3rguitars.co.uk/twin%20neck.htm[/url]. Also it's impossible to work out what he's doing as he's left-handed *and* plays with the strings upside-down.

I remember seeing Genesis at Hammy Odeon immediately after Peter Gabriel left the band ..and they absolutely shredded it. Everyone was thinking what will they do now that their lead singer has gone ...and everyone was just blown away at the reinvention of the band - that was something that doesn't happen very often !.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1375807139' post='2165977']
Love the band. Not a bad note throughout their career.
[/quote]

Pfff.... I'm a fanboi, but I think this is stretching it. Half of 'We Can't Dance' is execrable, and the other half isn't as good as it could be.

And Rutherford phoned the bass parts in on the last two albums.

Gabriel-era Genesis did nothing for me. (His solo stuff is something else, though.) I love everything in the Collins era - up until they discovered MTV, that is. I pretend the band vaporized after Three Sides Live.

Oh, and the live stuff hammers the studio albums every time. They had BALLS live. The studio stuff just sounds so restrained and polite.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375808350' post='2165994']
Pfff.... I'm a fanboi, but I think this is stretching it. Half of 'We Can't Dance' is execrable, and the other half isn't as good as it could be.

And Rutherford phoned the bass parts in on the last two albums.
[/quote]
And that's without even mentioning "Calling all stations" ;-)

I've never been into Genesis much, certainly very little familiarity with the music. I'm listening to Cinema Show now, and it feels like listening to It Bites, who I'm a huge fan of, and who I know were big into Genesis, especially Dunnery. I think you may have got me into Genesis and I shall download Seconds Out shortly.

Cheers :)

Well up to Duke I love 'em. not so sure musically afterwards but I guess there are a few gems around. my fave album is Selling England..... but can't discount the others. Stand tracks not from England would be Los Endos, Fountain of Salmacis and Fly on a Windshield. I'm trying to learn In That Quiet Earth and it's a killer. My covers band are going to do Turn It On Again (and may be ITQE). Sadly never saw them with PG :-(.

Rutherford is a great player and one of the most famous users of Shergold basses - including a double neck Modulator 6 and 4 and
a Marathon 6 - I love the way his bass lines punctuate the sound and toughen it up. Lovely stuff!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1375810993' post='2166046']
I've never been into Genesis much, certainly very little familiarity with the music. I'm listening to Cinema Show now, and it feels like listening to It Bites, who I'm a huge fan of, and who I know were big into Genesis, especially Dunnery. I think you may have got me into Genesis and I shall download Seconds Out shortly.

Cheers :)
[/quote]
Francis Dunnerys favourite Genesis recording is "Selling England by the pound" btw.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375819015' post='2166189']
Francis Dunnerys favourite Genesis recording is "Selling England by the pound" btw.
[/quote]

Thank you :) I know he saw Musical Box (Genesis Tribute) and said they were as good as the real thing and one of the best shows he'd been to.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1375819495' post='2166200']
Thank you :) I know he saw Musical Box (Genesis Tribute) and said they were as good as the real thing and one of the best shows he'd been to.
[/quote]
I was a huge It bites fan back in the day...saw them on the "Once around the world tour" and met them afterwards...they were as tight as two coats of paint as a live band. I think it's fair to say that they were hugely influenced by early Genesis. Listen to "the battle of Epping Forest" from "Selling England by the pound"....you will hear the influence straight away.

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1375813880' post='2166095']
Rutherford is a great player and one of the most famous users of Shergold basses - including a double neck Modulator 6 and 4 and
a Marathon 6 - I love the way his bass lines punctuate the sound and toughen it up. Lovely stuff!
[/quote]
I rate Rutherford as one of the great rock bassists...but his name does not ever get a mention in this context. Much, much preferred his bass playing to his subsequent guitar work.

Great bassist...average guitarist imho.

Trick of the tail was one of the first proper albums I got, and is still probably my all time favourite album. I did recently get the digital remaster of it, and it is awful but after binning it, I still have the original. Just started recently listening to some of the earlier stuff. I still prefer Collins as the singer.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1375807730' post='2165985']
I saw Steve Hackett and band at the Hammersmith Odeon earlier this year. Tribute band ReGenesis weren't taking part though :)
[/quote]

Sorry got my wires crossed, Hackett called his tour revisited rather than regenesis. My mistake

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375820474' post='2166216']
I was a huge It bites fan back in the day...saw them on the "Once around the world tour" and met them afterwards...they were as tight as two coats of paint as a live band. I think it's fair to say that they were hugely influenced by early Genesis. Listen to "the battle of Epping Forest" from "Selling England by the pound"....you will hear the influence straight away.
[/quote]. Pretty certain they'd often do some old genesis during soundcheck, if memory serves me right.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1375820680' post='2166219']
Great bassist...average guitarist imho.
[/quote]

Mike was a fantastic rhythm and acoustic/12-string guitarist on Genesis material up to Steve Hackett's departure - then taking on lead guitar duties as well pushed everything else on to the back burner. Shame.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1375861792' post='2166481']
Mike was a fantastic rhythm and acoustic/12-string guitarist on Genesis material up to Steve Hackett's departure - then taking on lead guitar duties as well pushed everything else on to the back burner. Shame.
[/quote]

It's strange, 'cos he's responsible for some great guitar moments.. the solo on 'Burning Rope', for example. Lovely. But some of his stuff sounds awkward.

Then again, we're talking about the bloke that came up with the bass part for 'No Reply At All'... and then a few years later stopped bothering creating parts with any redeeming features.

Just because, here's my one of my favourite Genesis track that some of you might not have heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02v0hkq3IA

Massive fan here. Can't remember how many gigs / lineups I've seen but definitely most of the combinations.

There should have been a law passed (a bit late now) that every Genesis gig should finish with The Knife. You have to see it live to really get it (sorry old git here). My personal favourite albums are Trespass, Foxtrot and Nursey Crime only because I grew up with them playing. SEBTP, the Lamb also excellent.

Favourite less well known ditty - Twilight Alehouse.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375862676' post='2166490']
It's strange, 'cos he's responsible for some great guitar moments.. the solo on 'Burning Rope', for example. Lovely. But some of his stuff sounds awkward.
[/quote]

Never been much of a fan of Burning Rope to be honest. A bit clunky lyrically, and the solo doesn't grab me I'm afraid. Much prefer The Lady Lies from that album.

[quote]
Then again, we're talking about the bloke that came up with the bass part for 'No Reply At All'... and then a few years later stopped bothering creating parts with any redeeming features.
[/quote]

Another bit of surprising bass-playing from latter Genesis is the instrumental at the end of Living Forever on We Can't Dance. A minute or two's brief excitement in another otherwise endless landscape of mediocrity on that album.