Why become a member? ×

Been listening to a lot of genesis at the moment

marcus bell

Top Man! I too thought like until, until 1982 when it was announce a 1 off special concert at MK Bowl, featuring all the original members, including PG. It was the wettest, most back achingly painful day I spent in my entire life, but when they all hit the stage..I was in heaven!! I have a bootleg of the gig somewhere, a lovely reminder of a great day.

Don't go running when listening to Seconds Out. Too many odd time sigs, you'll keep falling over

They're all good from Trespass to Abacab and the first half of Genesis. From 1977's And Then There Were Three, quality starts dropping off due to Phil Collins' first divorce and the slush starting to creep in, despite everyone telling him to go do a solo album and get it out of his system. After "Home By The Sea" finishes on Genesis, pretend nothing else happened

I find Genesis to be a bit of a guilty pleasure. I like the music, but I'm concious of how overblown it all is. Some great music in there though if you can get past that.

I like Selling England by the Pound and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Supper's Ready from the album Foxtrot is quite something too, not such a fan of the album though.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1375804364' post='2165910']
I didn't really want this to turn into a discussion that ends up slating each side of the genesis wagon... :s
[/quote]
Sorry... just thinking of PC's solo stuff, which is another story, as is Gabriel's.

Back to the band: Loved them up to Wind and Wuthering - and thinking of the guitar solos thread I'd mention Firth of Firth and The Lamia.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1375804623' post='2165922']
Sorry... just thinking of PC's solo stuff, which is another story, as is Gabriel's.

Back to the band: Loved them up to Wind and Wuthering - and thinking of the guitar solos thread I'd mention Firth of Firth and The Lamia.
[/quote]in that quiet earth is another great guitar solo.... I like both their solo projects too :)

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1375803681' post='2165891']
Probably not great running material, as they have d[size=3]y[/size][size=2]n[/size][size=1]am[/size][size=2]i[/size][size=3]c[/size]s!
[/quote]

This is very true. I think The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway might have the biggest dynamic range of any non classical recorded music I've heard!

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1375803441' post='2165885']
Seconds Out (live album) Dance on a Volcano is sublime
[/quote]
+100. Genesis was my first love, musically, and Seconds Out quickly became my go-to album.

Thirty years on not much as changed, except that I'm as likely to stick on the '76 "In Concert" DVD as the Seconds Out CD. But the last side of SO is just spine-tingling, from the first notes of Cinema Show to the last climax of Los Endos. It never ceases to move me.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1375805016' post='2165937']
+100. Genesis was my first love, musically, and Seconds Out quickly became my go-to album.

Thirty years on not much as changed, except that I'm as likely to stick on the '76 "In Concert" DVD as the Seconds Out CD. But the last side of SO is just spine-tingling, from the first notes of Cinema Show to the last climax of Los Endos. It never ceases to move me.
[/quote]
cinema show and the instrumental section of robbery assault and battery are just phenomenal!!!!! great band!

Seconds Out is a great primer.

I recently got the remastered sets - the remixes are revelatory. They have dynamics!

The 1970-75 stuff is fantastic, and the Live Box is amazing. On Seconds Out there's a whole new percussion track on Cinema Show which is totally buried on previous mixes...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1375805193' post='2165943']
Seconds Out is a great primer.

I recently got the remastered sets - the remixes are revelatory. They have dynamics!

The 1970-75 stuff is fantastic, and the Live Box is amazing. On Seconds Out there's a whole new percussion track on Cinema Show which is totally buried on previous mixes...
[/quote]
ill be sure to check this out, I often surprise people when I first tell them my first love musically is level42 and various funk outfits, then I come out with genesis and you should see their faces ;)

Never quite got into Genesis in the same way I got into Yes but they have grown on me a bit more in recent years. I might go to see one of the Hackett 'Regenesis' shows in October, I've seen some very positive reviews. I quite like 'And then there were three' as I came to it without listening to earlier albums and just accepted it for what it was. Never really got 'Supper's Ready', still think it's overrated as a song sequence. Prefer Gabriel's solo stuff over any of the latter day Genesis output and even over some of the stuff he did in classic era days with them too.

Edited by KevB