Why become a member? ×

Been listening to a lot of genesis at the moment

marcus bell

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1376257536' post='2171519']
Bang on. My introduction was Invisible Touch - I was 10 and completely disinterested in whether they looked/acted cool or not. Got the album for my xmas and was hooked on Anything She Does/Domino/The Brazilian. Explored the rest of the catalogue in later years.

Totally don't have the problem with Phil that other people do - I'd also have to say that I think Face Value is sublime.
[/quote]

Come to think of it, my mum used to listen to Invisible Touch in the car when I was about 10, and I remember the Brazillian being quite epic. Can't really listen to that album now, it's a bit of a cheese fest and the 80s sounds are horrific. Still think the title track isn't a bad pop song, though.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1376248489' post='2171343']
Got a couple of BBT albums. Excellent stuff and yes there is a Genesis feel to them.
[/quote]

I met one of the BBT guys, Greg, in a bar in Prague after the 2007 Genesis show there. Lovely chap. Apparently BBT will be on the road some time early next year.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1376254558' post='2171457']

Then it would just be like a lot of music used to be. Your favourite group brought an album out and you went out and bought it before you had heard it, as there really wasnt anywhere to hear it.

Sometimes I miss that - I often hear of some band and then listen on youtube or spotify or whatever and am not immediately taken with it so I don't listen again. Back in the old days (when I had far less money), I would just buy it and listen to it, and some of the albums that I heard that didn't mean much to me the first time went on to be favourites later on. Almost like it had to be worked at.

Of course, the down side was that sometimes you never grew to like it!

Actually genesis before collins was like that for me, this thread has made me gone back and listen to some of the older stuff, and where I don't think it will ever fit in as something I will really love, some of it is pretty good.
[/quote]

I suppose it depends how far back you're talking. In the late 70s the single that sold the album was released a few weeks before, then in the 80s it would get air play well before it was released. Then you might get 2 or 3 singles released from each album.

You would also often get the chance to listen to a friends recording too.

It's just more a case of the fans being the underwriters rather than the record label based on previous recordings.

I didn't get into early Genisis until the mid80s after I had bought Then There Were Three. A friend had a tape of Selling England and Nursery Crimes in his car. I had to ask him who it was the band was remarkably different.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1376308778' post='2171892']
I suppose it depends how far back you're talking. In the late 70s the single that sold the album was released a few weeks before, then in the 80s it would get air play well before it was released. Then you might get 2 or 3 singles released from each album.
[/quote]

Depends on the group (and I am talking early 80s really). I know when I bought Rush, moving pictures it was on the first day, and there were no singles / radio / friends who had it. Lucky really as I hated it on first listen, even if it is one of my favourites now.

Seconds Out is up there with Floyds Dark Side of the Moon in my book. 2 of my fav albums from that era. Saw them on the Duke tour and have met them all - even had coffee with Mr Collins who is an absolute gentleman and very friendly. An album I think sometimes gets a bit over-looked is "Then there were Three" which has some great tracks on it. I'm pretty sure I have a live tape from around 82 could have been Wembley but off hand not sure. Great band and I like various songs from all Genesis eras but Trick, 2nds Out and Ttw3 are the highlights for me. Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1376371540' post='2172850']
Seconds Out is up there with Floyds Dark Side of the Moon in my book. 2 of my fav albums from that era. Saw them on the Duke tour and have met them all - even had coffee with Mr Collins who is an absolute gentleman and very friendly. An album I think sometimes gets a bit over-looked is "Then there were Three" which has some great tracks on it. I'm pretty sure I have a live tape from around 82 could have been Wembley but off hand not sure. Great band and I like various songs from all Genesis eras but Trick, 2nds Out and Ttw3 are the highlights for me. Dave
[/quote]

Completely agree. Seconds Out was what drove me, as a poor student, to buy a proper hifi. My favourite album of all time. I also agree about And Then There Were Three, which has some great songs on it. A friend of mine, as a party trick, plays the keyboard solo from Follow You, Follow Me on bass. I also love The Lady Lies from the same album.

"So glad you could make it, we've got everything arranged..."

[quote name='chrisba' timestamp='1376392930' post='2173161']
Completely agree. Seconds Out was what drove me, as a poor student, to buy a proper hifi. My favourite album of all time.
[/quote]

Yeah. I've got the original Seconds Out vinyl and it sounds fantastic.

[quote]
A friend of mine, as a party trick, plays the keyboard solo from Follow You, Follow Me on bass.
[/quote]

I used to be able to do that with the top line of the Firth of Fifth keyboard solo. My fingers aren't so bendy any more :(

Edited by toneknob