Why become a member? ×

Noise disturbance. Does your bass playing effect, neighbours, friends, family? How do you deal with it?

SevenSeas

Hello bass chat!

Just a little thread about volume and how 'you deal with it'? Let me put this into perspective.

I practice quite a lot however my family really don't agree with it, they say it's too loud and I get nagged constantly all day and night. (well up to 9pm... then I stop)
Then they go on about how If I lived next to a neighbour who wouldn't let you do it (or he'll.... smash you up or your bass or put sh*t through your letter box) what would I do?

They mainly complain about double bass as it's acoustic and obviously theres no volume knob on it... like electric bass.

So is there anyway to keep the noise down or? hmmm more importantly what do you do? And do you get lots of complaints... because it drives me mental... when everyone goes on about how I need to stop practicing etc..

Cheers,
Andy.

They do have a point. Bass frequencies travel through a building like nothing else.

You could always try a mute on your DB. [url="http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/categories/double-bass-mutes"]http://www.thestring...uble-bass-mutes[/url]

And also separating the end pin from the floor would help.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1373657027' post='2140353']
Hello bass chat!

Just a little thread about volume and how 'you deal with it'? Let me put this into perspective.

I practice quite a lot however my family really don't agree with it, they say it's too loud and I get nagged constantly all day and night. (well up to 9pm... then I stop)
Then they go on about how If I lived next to a neighbour who wouldn't let you do it (or he'll.... smash you up or your bass or put sh*t through your letter box) what would I do?

They mainly complain about double bass as it's acoustic and obviously theres no volume knob on it... like electric bass.

So is there anyway to keep the noise down or? hmmm more importantly what do you do? And do you get lots of complaints... because it drives me mental... when everyone goes on about how I need to stop practicing etc..

Cheers,
Andy.
[/quote]

Do you practice in front of the TV or in the bathroom while they're having a bath? If not, then tell them to eff off!

Family are never really bothered...apparently it gets to my elderly neighbour every now and again, at which point her prize cow of a daughter comes round, speaks to me like I'm something on the bottom of her shoe, and I use the headphones instead for a few days (which makes playing along to songs much more difficult). I nicked a few pieces of carpet from work about two years ago; they go under the amp and my electric drums to lessen the vibrations a bit.

Double Bass 'practice mute'! Bloody hello! Saw these things but they seemed like a gimmick, would it stop me from bowing? Does it reduce the sound or completely mute it?

The garden idea is a nice idea but I completely unrealistic one.

Gjones, yeah this is definitely how I feel! I schedule my whole practice time around them (they don't realise this) and when they get back from work they have to put up with maybe 2 hours double bass and (2-3 hours of electric) when I've spent most of the day practicing. Really gets on my tits, espically when there are numerous other rooms they could go to watch TV etc.. (or they could let me use the extension... a far away part of the house which would be great) but because it's 'there' space (which must I add is a un-used one) I can't use it. (Unfortunately because it isn't my house.. I haven't got much say in it.)

Edited by AndrewRichards

I thinks it's a bit of a 2 way street. You need to practice , but you should also respect the fact not everybody likes music/musicians ( I know, how can that be)
You said you practice a lot, this is probably the problem.
I have always restricted my home practice to 1 to 1.5 hours. This has been as a Tuba player and bass guitarist.
Last thing you want is a local authority take stand and ban you from playing in your home. This happened to a Tenner horn player who lived local to me. A bit extreme, but noise as has been said travels, non more than the low ones we all love.
As well as restricting length of practice I also try to make sure I have finished by 8pm. These measures have seen me through 36 years of being a musician, and I've never had a complaint.
I think it is up to you to salve the problem, don't think everybody should just let you play when you want, practice is very important don't lose it.

Take up a martial art - get a black belt and then kick the **** outta anyone who complains.

I lived in France a while back in one of those old style apartments that have windows facing onto an inner courtyard. You couldn't help but see into other peoples flats and hear what was going on. It could get pretty hectic but nobody cared. So move to France?

Bigd1.

I just read your point and I can completely understand it's a two way street but I wouldn't be able to cope with just 1 to 1.5 hours a day! I think this ultimately depends on where you want to be as a musician. If you want to be good you have to practice... a lot. I think the demands for being a professional musician now a days are getting even harder as there are so many great musicians about.
Also more musicians seem to be doing more, I started off as an electric bassist but have re-verted out to open more doors, being a double bass player, I've recently started keys pretty seriously (learning a harmony instrument) theres theory, reading, playing both pizicato and learning to play with a bow. (more people are arrangers, composing, singer songwriters, etc) Learning to sing relative backing vocals. (the list is endless)

I have fortunately got three very good teachers (before people are wondering how... I pay for the lessons myself) and I have quite a lot of work to get through which I enjoy going through otherwise I might as well spend the money on something else?

If I was doing this is a hobby I wouldn't be such a problem but it's what I commit to all the time I have to it.

(Okay I've gone off topic a bit I have to admit) but you can surely understand my point?

i have a corner in the conservatory pc amp etc i play 90% of the time through headphones which is great i dont disturb them (her indoors and the neighbours) and i cant be disturbed :)
there is of course times i plug into the amp when the drummer and guitarist are over and get loud but not that often that anyone has knocked on the door .. or maybe i just couldnt hear them

Edited by mushers

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1373660288' post='2140409']...you can surely understand my point?[/quote]

Good evening, Andrew...

Just as well you're not a speedway rider, or bear trainer, then. If your profession requires such devotion (respect; you're absolutely right in 'going for it'...), then you must create an environment adequate for such. I play drums; in the olden days electronic kits didn't exist. I practised day and night, but had no complaints; I took a cottage miles from anywhere or anyone. One has to do what one has to do; that's part of the deal. It isn't always easy, of course. Keep up the practice, but in a suitable place.
Just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='AndrewRichards' timestamp='1373660288' post='2140409']
Bigd1.

I just read your point and I can completely understand it's a two way street but I wouldn't be able to cope with just 1 to 1.5 hours a day! I think this ultimately depends on where you want to be as a musician. If you want to be good you have to practice... a lot. I think the demands for being a professional musician now a days are getting even harder as there are so many great musicians about.
Also more musicians seem to be doing more, I started off as an electric bassist but have re-verted out to open more doors, being a double bass player, I've recently started keys pretty seriously (learning a harmony instrument) theres theory, reading, playing both pizicato and learning to play with a bow. (more people are arrangers, composing, singer songwriters, etc) Learning to sing relative backing vocals. (the list is endless)

I have fortunately got three very good teachers (before people are wondering how... I pay for the lessons myself) and I have quite a lot of work to get through which I enjoy going through otherwise I might as well spend the money on something else?

If I was doing this is a hobby I wouldn't be such a problem but it's what I commit to all the time I have to it.

(Okay I've gone off topic a bit I have to admit) but you can surely understand my point?
[/quote]
If that's the case I still thinks it's up to you to sort this. Headphones, practice mutes or even have a room in your home made into a practice room with sound deadening.
If you do start getting reported for noise I really do think you could end up with no choice in the matter, as you could be stopped altogether from playing (not a good outcome at all)

Andrew, as much as I admire your dedication, and can see your a bit hobbled by not being allowed to use what seems to be the best room in the dwelling for your practice, no one is going to put up with that for 2-3 hours every day after they get home from work mate.

Understandable point.... I have a full time job as well though.

(I seem to have things sorted for now.. they only seem to complain about double bass (which is unfortunatly what I practice most`) however getting a mute sounds like a great idea.

(I never have a problem with electric or piano, just turn it down.)

Thanks for everyones responses.. got some useful information from it.

Time to get a mute!

If you've got some funds, why not get an EUB for home practice (& probably for gigs where portability is required)?

You could do what I do & restrict the playing to daytime only at home (making sure there's no one to annoy) & rehearsal room every week or 2 with a band.

I have no practical help to offer as I'm in the triple privileged position of 1) being able to practice in my lunch hours at work, 2) having a separate and distinct outbuilding at home that I can make noise in and 3) not giving a monkeys what my next door neighbours think seeing as they think it's perfectly acceptable to leave their dog's faeces in the shared garden.

I lived in a terrace a few years ago... paper-thin walls and a neighbour who complained. I bought a limestone slab from the DIY shop, then stuck o piece of heavy foam on the base. I put my amp on it. It had no real impact on the sound, but cut the resonance by 95%... not sure how to translate this to upright.

Don't play anywhere near as much guitar or bass in the flat these days as I did, say, five, years back. I had a habit of really letting rip with the guitar and often just played through the 'bang-bang-bang' on the front door. Once, a neighbour came to the door, complaining that he couldn't hear his telly (!!) cos of the volume. I just swicthed off the amp but, f*** it, I thought, here is a neighbour who never takes his share of cleaning the stair or front steps yet here he is at my door! Went down to his and told him of his shortcomings and to never darken my door again over my playing!

Another one came to my door a few months ago during the day when I was (again) on guitar. He said his boss - on the other end of the phone - couldn't hold a discussion cos of the noise. Bascially, I flipped. Can't win with these folk (most of the time they are ok) so I gave up using the guitar amp and just play bass now and again. Sure it'll all kick off again one day.