Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

Lovely!

I'm actually toying with the idea of getting an S212 and letting one of my S112s go. Modular is great, but I also like the idea of smaller cab and bigger cab... I dunno.

In other news - I went to a jam night last night, and brought my Walkabout and a single S112 for the house rig. I played a bit, but it was a great opportunity to sit out front during a blues trio set and hear how it sounds to the audience.

The other bass player used a Sadowsky Metro with rounds. Fab... the lows were strong and tight. I'd ramped up the highs a bit on the WA to compensate for the lack of a tweet. The top-end was smooth, and growled when he dug in. Nice and clear.

I was pretty amazed tbh, as was he. And when I asked him to pick it up at the end of the night... :lol:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1385114637' post='2284554']
I'm actually toying with the idea of getting an S212 and letting one of my S112s go.
[/quote]

Please give me a shout if you decide to go this route! I'd still have to get another, new one though.

So my second W2126 arrived, and I got all the bits from Tommy to tweak it the way I want them. I bought cloth for the grill from the US. Asked for black corners and black screws. I also got a TKS case for my Mesa Carbine which I fixed with black corners. I must say I am pretty happy with this now. Took a few hours to put it all together the way I wanted. as I asked Tommy to provide the speakers without mounting the grills. I put the logos in the middle instead of the top corner where they normally are. Well, enough about the cosmetics. ;)

These cabs are awesome sounding and brings the best out of the Carbine, no doubt about it. Punchy, loud, strong attack. It is all there. As Musicman20 said. I am done.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjelkeman/11000003755][/url]

[quote name='JizzCat' timestamp='1385195184' post='2285435']
Very good looking stack sir. Cosmetics do seem to matter. :)
[/quote] Indeed. I would have purchased TKS speakers regardless of if I could only get the standard black look. But if you are going to buy new speakers and you know they are right for you and you want to stick with them for the long run, then it is worth going that extra mile I thought.

Edited by bjelkeman

[quote name='such' timestamp='1385147889' post='2285101']
Please give me a shout if you decide to go this route! I'd still have to get another, new one though.
[/quote]

I will - still pondering!

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1385163887' post='2285339']
So my second W2126 arrived, and I got all the bits from Tommy to tweak it the way I want them. I bought cloth for the grill from the US. Asked for black corners and black screws. I also got a TKS case for my Mesa Carbine which I fixed with black corners. I must say I am pretty happy with this now. Took a few hours to put it all together the way I wanted. as I asked Tommy to provide the speakers without mounting the grills. I put the logos in the middle instead of the top corner where they normally are. Well, enough about the cosmetics. ;)

These cabs are awesome sounding and brings the best out of the Carbine, no doubt about it. Punchy, loud, strong attack. It is all there. As Musicman20 said. I am done.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjelkeman/11000003755"][/url]
[/quote]

Beautiful. I bet that sounds righteous...

If circumstances were different I would have these cabs in a hot minute!
I've got plenty of space, I'm based in South London, but I just don't have time to play at the moment, never mind try out new gear and help pass demo gear around.
Truly rotten timing :-(

[size="2"][color="#1e1e1e"][font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]I've had the TKS 115 on loan for the past fortnight, I've not had any chance to gig it, but it's had 3 loud rehearsals in an originals rock band. [/font][/color][/size]Firstly, as everyone else has said, the fit and finish on these cabs is great, straight away they look very impressive.

[size="2"][color="#1e1e1e"][font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]The first rehearsal was also the first time I used my new amp, so I was also trying to get used to that. I think this was the main reason I was not overly impressed with it initially, not because either the cab or the amp were bad, I just had to find a sound that I liked. Set flat, it didn't have the low I was used to, probably due to a very forward high end due to the tweeter. Boosting the bass and low mids filled out the sound and if you EQ it in, this cab can deliver huge bass. The tweeter is very powerful so I tended to have it on very low if at all. Once I had found a sound that I liked from the amp, this cab sounded fantastic. [/font][/color][/size]

[size="2"][color="#1e1e1e"][font="Helvetica, sans-serif"]The amp I use is a Carvin BX500 which delivers 300 watts into 8 Ohms and this cab could take all of it with ease, but I really didn't have to turn this up anywhere near full to cut through. I really enjoyed the rehearsals with this cab and TKS will definitely be on the list of bass cabs to look at when I can afford to upgrade my current cabs.[/font][/color][/size]