Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

[quote name='tm486' timestamp='1385846557' post='2292888']
[size=4][color=#1e1e1e][font=Helvetica, sans-serif]I've had the TKS 115 on loan for the past fortnight..... I really enjoyed the rehearsals with this cab and TKS will definitely be on the list of bass cabs to look at when I can afford to upgrade my current cabs.[/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

Thanks for the review. How did you find the dispersion? Which cab(s) are you accustomed to using?

Overall view of TKS 12/6

WOT/Michael was kind enough to drop off and pick up the 12/6 that TKS sent over.

I had the cab for a fair amount of time, and I was able to test it in a few environments.

If I hadn’t picked up a Genz NX2 212T in the sale I would have invested in a TKS. The build is superb, they look fantastic, the 12/6 sounds fantastic, and the weight is pretty damn good.

The 12/6 goes very deep and throws out low end with no effort at all. I would personally want a tweeter but that is of course an option! The tone is very clean and crisp.

Highly recommended :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386238317' post='2297475']
Thanks for the review. How did you find the dispersion? Which cab(s) are you accustomed to using?
[/quote]

To be honest, we rehearse in quite a small space, so there wasn't much chance to move around a lot to see what the dispersion is like, so I can't really comment on that. However, the other members of the band weren't asking me to turn up constantly like they normally do, so I think that it must be better than my current cabs.

I'm used to using an Ashdown Mag C115 with the 115 extension cab, and whilst I do like the sound that I get from that, it is not loud enough or maybe doesn't cut through very well. The TKS could go louder and it seemed to cut through much better for any given setting on the amp. The TKS was much more responsive to changing the settings on the amp aswell.

Hope this helps,

Tom

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1386270695' post='2298143']
Overall view of TKS 12/6. The build is superb, they look fantastic, the 12/6 sounds fantastic, and the weight is pretty damn good.

The 12/6 goes very deep and throws out low end with no effort at all. I would personally want a tweeter but that is of course an option! The tone is very clean and crisp.
[/quote]
[quote name='tm486' timestamp='1386272273' post='2298170']
To be honest, we rehearse in quite a small space, so there wasn't much chance to move around a lot to see what the dispersion is like, so I think that it must be better than my current cabs.
The TKS could go louder and it seemed to cut through much better for any given setting on the amp. The TKS was much more responsive to changing the settings on the amp as well.
[/quote]

Great stuff! I should hopefully be borrowing both of these cabs for a few days (thanks in advance WoT!) and will get the opportunity to use them at a full band rehearsal on wednesday. I'm looking forward to it! B)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1385731368' post='2291609']
Last call for volunteers based 'down south' to babysit some trial cabs... I'll pass the info to Tommy in the next couple of days.
[/quote]

Hi WOT, if you are still looking for volunteers to house the TKS cabs, I would like to put my name forward.
I'm based just outside of Cambridge.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1386503069' post='2300722']
Midlands trial at all?
[/quote]

I'll suggest it to Tommy - see what the new year brings.

Here's a pr0n shot from Saturday night. I swear to god... running both of these cabs together - which I don't get to do very often - is nirvana.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1386792539' post='2304712']Here's a pr0n shot from Saturday night. I swear to god... running both of these cabs together - which I don't get to do very often - is nirvana.
[/quote]

Please stop... ;)

Eude

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1386878118' post='2305936']
Sorry :-)
[/quote]

Its OK.
I need to try and sort out a new setup next year, still dithering about going for two 112's like yourself but with one tweeter, or a single 1126.
In your opinion, what do you think would be better to replicate the full range of 6 string bass?
I'll be selling some effects, and the Promethean to fund this next step, but I think it'll be a good move :)

Eude

I don't play a six string, so keep that in mind. But, I do have a pair of W2126, and I have heard most of the TKS cabs The speakers with the extra 6 for mids and highs are more full range in sound. Not everybody's cup of tea, but personally I would have gone for a 1126.

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1386948377' post='2306728']
I don't play a six string, so keep that in mind. But, I do have a pair of W2126, and I have heard most of the TKS cabs The speakers with the extra 6 for mids and highs are more full range in sound. Not everybody's cup of tea, but personally I would have gone for a 1126.
[/quote]

Based on what I've heard, i'd agree with this.
Drop Tommy a line - he'll give you the lowdown...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1386948734' post='2306734']
Based on what I've heard, i'd agree with this.
Drop Tommy a line - he'll give you the lowdown...
[/quote]
[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1386948377' post='2306728']
[/quote]

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
I think it'll be a 1126 and a powerful amp by the looks of things then :)
I do like the idea of a single cab setup to be honest, I used to gig with a single Aggies GS112 a while back, was so nice being able to move all my gear in one trip.

Eude

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386275903' post='2298231']
Great stuff! I should hopefully be borrowing both of these cabs for a few days (thanks in advance WoT!) and will get the opportunity to use them at a full band rehearsal on wednesday. I'm looking forward to it! B)
[/quote]

Well, I borrowed the cabs last saturday (thanks WoT!!) and got the chance to try them on wednesday.

First impressions - very nicely made. Good attention to detail and some interesting variations available. The two cabs I borrowed were the H115 and the 1126.

The H115 is, in some ways quite similar to my Barefaced Compact. It is a reasonably small, reasonably light 1x15 that uses (I believe) a Neodymium speaker. It also has a tweeter, which the Compact doesn't.

Soundwise, I really liked it. Despite disliking tweeters in general, this one sounds really "musical", and can be adjusted to taste. My taste is "off", but when I dialled it in it gave some very usable sounds. The overall sound is kind of "tight". No sloppiness, woolliness or any other the sounds that are deemed to be typical of fifteens! Very clear and very full-range. No shortage of anything really - but not as prominent in the midrange as my Compact (with which I compared it).

I would be very happy to own one of these cabs. At current conversion rates it would cost £515 (before shipping), which makes it broadly similar to a BF Compact.

The 1126 was an odd one. I wasn't keen on it's tone - but that is with my own personal set-up of Hartke LH500 and MIM Jazz bass. I found the tone was a bit lacking in bottom end, and almost "nasal" in the upper midrange. To be fair, I didn't re-EQ when switching between the H115, the Compact and the 1126 - so maybe this cab was at a bit of a disadvantage.

It contains a 12" woofer and a 6" midrange driver, in a fairly light but very deep box. An easy one-handed lift, but heavier and a bit more awkward than the Compact. Cost for this version (with cloth grille and tweed vinyl) would be £630 before shipping. Stock version is £580.

But where the 1126 really shone, was as a guitar cab!! Our guitarist ran his Custom Shop Strat through his Carvin V3M ([url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/carvin-v3m-amp-head/52029"]http://www.gak.co.uk...-amp-head/52029[/url]) and into the TKS cab. Absolutely stunning! Clear as a bell in the high frequencies, full and rich in the lower notes. Amazing dispersion too - with his volume being the same wherever you stood in the (large) room!! What a revelation!

Anyway, I switched between all three cabs in different songs. I tried all possible combinations of the three. Best combination was the two TKS cabs together - but I still thought the best sound (for me) was the Compact on its own.

Conclusion? I would be happy to own a H115. Great sound, and easily portable with the side mounted, recessed metal handles. The tweeter is a very useful addition, even though I would not use it with my current set-up. A few inches taller than my Compact, making amp adjustments easier. The 1126 does not suit my taste and style (if I have any!). It looks great, but the sound was just "wrong" for me. Great for guitar though!

Price-wise, these cabs are still quite pricey I would say. Maybe not in the Aguilar/Bergantino/Vanderkley type of bracket, but certainly up there with the "equivalent" Barefaced cabs. I like the variations that are available, and it would be nice to see BF go down this route in the future...

It would have been nice to have another bass player there to get some more objective views, but within the scope of this test I think I was pretty fair :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1386950604' post='2306757']I think an EQ tweak would have worked wonders on the 1126. I actually found it to be the opposite... very wide, with a big, open low end.
[/quote]

I suspect you are bang on there mate! But my constant changing over of leads was starting to irritate my bandmates, so the review was somewhat curtailed! I'd like to give it another blast in the cause of fairness.

But my son has been playing his guitar through the 1126 this evening, and it sounds brilliant! I could see a lot of guitarists loving this cab - especially in the tweed!! Fender-tastic!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1386962967' post='2306997']
The only thing that bugged me a little about the 1126 is that it's squat, like the Berg 12s and Aggie DBs, so it's firing at your calves.

Not a problem with a pair (that would sound massive..!) but if it was my main single cab, I'd get one in vertical configuration.
[/quote]

Vertical config... tip it on it's side you mean. :P[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1386962967' post='2306997']
The only thing that bugged me a little about the 1126 is that it's squat, like the Berg 12s and Aggie DBs, so it's firing at your calves.

Not a problem with a pair (that would sound massive..!) but if it was my main single cab, I'd get one in vertical configuration.
[/quote]

Yes. And, er..... YES!!

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3]Guess whose TKS 2126 cab acted as "centerfold" in the big TKS review in the Swedish "Fuzz Magazine" this month:[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif][size=3][/size][/font]