Why become a member? ×

TKS Engineering cabs - new to the UK

wateroftyne

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1383584618' post='2266209']
So what's inside these TKS cabs? Does anyone have any pictures of the interiors?
[/quote]

So I don't have any pictures from inside, but before we mounted the front grill I took a picture if my new W2126.

After having used them for band practise for a while now I can safely say that they don't disappoint. A clarity of sound which is impressive, whilst delivering nice bass. I play a fairly clean sound with emphasised mids. It is great for this speaker. Today I had both the guitarist and the drummer compliment the sound when using my Ibanez RB960.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjelkeman/10035337316/][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjelkeman/10035337316/]The world's first TKS W2126[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/bjelkeman/]bjelkeman[/url], on Flickr

Edited by bjelkeman

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383911621' post='2270672']
If anyone would like to speak to WoT about a trial of the 12/6 in Newcastle area, then I'm happy to pass it on etc.

I've had a great time using it. Fantastic cab. If I didn't buy the Genz NX cab in the sale I'd be seriously looking into a TKS.
[/quote]

You reckon a single 12/6 would hold its own in a rock context with a powerful enough amp?

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1383911740' post='2270675']
You reckon a single 12/6 would hold its own in a rock context with a powerful enough amp?
[/quote]

If its a single guitarist through a moderate combo or small 2x12 setup, with drums, vocals, etc, then yes.

It's a very capable cabinet. Very capable.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383911912' post='2270678']
If its a single guitarist through a moderate combo or small 2x12 setup, with drums, vocals, etc, then yes.

It's a very capable cabinet. Very capable.
[/quote]

Thanks mate. I used to get away with a single Aggie GS112 most of the time, just wanted to check :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383911621' post='2270672']
If anyone would like to speak to WoT about a trial of the 12/6 in Newcastle area, then I'm happy to pass it on etc.

I've had a great time using it. Fantastic cab. If I didn't buy the Genz NX cab in the sale I'd be seriously looking into a TKS.
[/quote]

Absolutely - if anyone in the North East wants to give the 12/6, big 15 or small 12 a run out, let me know. I'll be sending them back to Tommy soon, unless he has other plans for them.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383909931' post='2270641']
Not a fan, then?
[/quote]

Not got anything against them as I've not heard them, and the design is pretty tried and tested so I fully expect them to work well. Just that those driver combinations won't tread any new ground beyond where fEarfuls and indeed earlier generation Barefaced cabs could go (assuming I'm right - Eminence are listed as the driver suppliers so I think I am, and I'm not aware of Eminence moving to a new gen design) and indeed borrow an awful lot from them, so I find it funny that people are getting so excited about them. The Aguilar cosmetic clone does seem a little cheeky too.
Of course there might be voicing differences but these are likely fairly minor because the drivers themselves limit your options in terms of sensible crossover points. If that still sounds too negative, let me reiterate - I expect these cabs to be very capable performers and for some the cosmetic options might make all the difference :)

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1384218042' post='2274227']
Not got anything against them as I've not heard them, and the design is pretty tried and tested so I fully expect them to work well. Just that those driver combinations won't tread any new ground beyond where fEarfuls and indeed earlier generation Barefaced cabs could go (assuming I'm right - Eminence are listed as the driver suppliers so I think I am, and I'm not aware of Eminence moving to a new gen design) and indeed borrow an awful lot from them, so I find it funny that people are getting so excited about them. The Aguilar cosmetic clone does seem a little cheeky too.
Of course there might be voicing differences but these are likely fairly minor because the drivers themselves limit your options in terms of sensible crossover points. If that still sounds too negative, let me reiterate - I expect these cabs to be very capable performers and for some the cosmetic options might make all the difference :)
[/quote]

Fair points.

FWIW, they've been around for a number of years in Scandanavia. They're only new to the UK.

It's another name in the mix, with very competitive prices and excellent build quality. From what I can see, it's all good.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1384245952' post='2274292']
Fair points.

FWIW, they've been around for a number of years in Scandanavia. They're only new to the UK.

It's another name in the mix, with very competitive prices and excellent build quality. From what I can see, it's all good.
[/quote]

Wise words. These cabs are by no means 'new' to the market; they have only started to gain interest over here as they have been lent out (very kindly) and also, a few BC'ers have invested in them.

If you compare the pricing, and the absolutely superb fit and finish, (disregarding the actual aesthestics for a moment) then these cabs are a very good contender.

If the BF comparison is being made, these are cheaper and that's including the price to get them over to the UK.

I don't understand why it is SO bad to have an amp/cab that looks aesthetically pleasing as well as well engineered and with excellent fit and finish. It isn't hard, its just part of having a flair for design.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1383912220' post='2270683']
Absolutely - if anyone in the North East wants to give the 12/6, big 15 or small 12 a run out, let me know. I'll be sending them back to Tommy soon, unless he has other plans for them.
[/quote]

Is the big 15 the same as the H115 on the TKS web site?

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1384259331' post='2274493']
Is the big 15 the same as the H115 on the TKS web site?
[/quote]

It is.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1384260654' post='2274514']
I wish there was a way we could get a couple of cabs down south somehow, I would love to try some out as these would be a good option if my cabs sell.
[/quote]

I've suggested to Tommy that it might be a good idea to send the cabs to someone further south for more BC'ers to try, rather than return them to Sweden.

I'll see what he says.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1384262884' post='2274565']
How does the Big 15 sound in comparison to the S112 and H112, which driver does it use?

I want very deep, clean bass, with no treble or upper mid in the tone.
[/quote]

From the feedback I've had, it's probably not an obvious choice for that.

A couple of people have trialed it expecting it to be a low-end beast. BC's very own Faron didn't get on with it at all - he felt it lacked lows.

It sounds very full-range, with lots of mids, highs and the clarity that comes with it. I think that maybe masks the lows a bit. Presumably a bit of judicious EQ would put it into 'traditional' 15" territory.

We A/B'd it at The Bass Bash with a Berg AE212, and I felt it was comparable...

Thanks, the Big 15 doesn't sound right for me and I'm not keen on the Berg cabs I've tried - they're too middy and aggressive sounding for my taste.

Which TKS cabs would you recommend for a very deep, clean old school reggae tone?

I emailed Tommy with the same question and he recommended the 1156, but it's too big and heavy for me.
He suggested the 1126 without the 6" speaker would give a similar tone, but needs more amp power to go as loud.
I wonder how the S112s compare to the 1126, considering they are smaller, lighter and half the price?

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1384266771' post='2274630']
Thanks, the Big 15 doesn't sound right for me and I'm not keen on the Berg cabs I've tried - they're too middy and aggressive sounding for my taste.

Which TKS cabs would you recommend for a very deep, clean old school reggae tone?

I emailed Tommy with the same question and he recommended the 1156, but it's too big and heavy for me.
He suggested the 1126 without the 6" speaker would give a similar tone, but needs more amp power to go as loud.
I wonder how the S112s compare to the 1126, considering they are smaller, lighter and half the price?
[/quote]

I haven't tried all of them in anger, so I couldn't really comment. I'd probably follow Tommy's advice - when he recommended the 112s to me, despite me being set on buying something more expensive, he was spot-on.

I can compare the 1126 and the S112, however...

The 1126 is a wide-sounding cab, with big lows and rich, clear top (the cab I've used was a non-tweeter version, so it didn't do sizzle). The 112s are much more low-mid focussed and traditional-sounding. The 112s don't strike me as ideal for dub - that's backed up by the frequency response info on the website.

I've just had a chat with Tommy and he'd quite like to get a different selection of cabs - which include all the recent upgrades - out for trial in the south of the country.

If anyone - preferably based in the SE with a decent history on Basschat - would like to volunteer to be custodian of the cabs during the trial (including a 2x12, hopefully!), drop me a PM and I'll pass your details on.

Obviously, Tommy pays the shipping from Sweden to the UK and back. You need to be fairly central so people can get to you to collect and drop-off, and you need a little bit of room to store them the rest of the time, but it does mean you get a lovely selection of cabs to choose from for a while. :-)