Why become a member? ×

Tribute Bands - don't the active "original" band get miffed?

ben604

I was in a Wildhearts tribute band for a bit (well, we never technically broke up, so I kinda still am ;)), and someone once tweeted one of our gigs at the real band's frontman. His response was along the lines of "Give me a bit more notice next time and I'll get it filled for you". Ginger's a f***ing legend B)

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1373293010' post='2135728']
....We're well into Weezer and were considering going down the tribute route, which gots me to thinkin': Don't active bands get miffed when tributes roam the country getting paid for doing their job?....
[/quote]

I don't see why they would.

The singer of a Dire Straits tribute is now singing with The Straits and Brian Wilson's Beach Boy band was a tribute that he saw and liked in Vegas.

There's room for everyone.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1373295685' post='2135783']
I was in a Wildhearts tribute band for a bit (well, we never technically broke up, so I kinda still am ;)), and someone once tweeted one of our gigs at the real band's frontman. His response was along the lines of "Give me a bit more notice next time and I'll get it filled for you". Ginger's a f***ing legend B)
[/quote]
classic I love the Wildhearts !

Not heard anything from Roger Waters or Dave Gilmour, so I'm guessing they don't mind. ;)

Nick Mason, is one of the most laid back and coolest guys ever, so I can't see him objecting.

Guy Pratt was a star and very supportive by helping me with authentic pedal settings for Floyd tracks, so I'm guessing he doesn't mind and his Mrs is the late Rick Wright's daughter.

So, as far as I can tell, all good in the hood for Ultimate Floyd!!

Most of the bands that are tribbed have managed to price themselves out of a lot of people's pockets for gigs and/or don't tour that often. The tribs are just filling a demand in the market. If people didn't turn up to see them they wouldn't exist.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1373299307' post='2135840']
On Radio 4 this morning they mentioned that Brian Travers formerly of UB40 is currently gigging with tribute act UB42 and wants to play with every UB40 tribute going. Class act there I think.
[/quote]

Possibly more to do with this perhaps...

[url="http://www.nme.com/news/ub40/59988"]http://www.nme.com/news/ub40/59988[/url]

Class isn't a word that springs to my mind when I think of tribute bands.

Im sure ive seen Blondie endorsing a Blondie Tribute act, and other artists doing similar things, Id guess unless they are aweful, they only help to keep interest alive, which has to be good for artists.

Id guess some up themselves artists may hate it , but I doubt many do.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1373299753' post='2135850']

Class isn't a word that springs to my mind when I think of tribute bands.
[/quote]

I have a sneaking suspicion that some tribute bands might actually be better than the band they're imitating.
Perhaps not in the composition/writing sense, but in the live performance aspect.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1373317484' post='2136172']
Don't know. Never seen one.....
[/quote]
You don't need to have seen a tribute band to have an opinion on the original post.

For the record i have only seen one tribute and and that was the Bootleg Beatles in the 1980s. They were excellent but it felt more like a theatrical show to a gig and none the worse for that. I have no interest in seeing another tribute band.

I suppose if you're playing anything else but your own compositions you must be paying tribute to the band/person who wrote/performed it?

But then again, what about a 'tribute' band made up of various ex-members who performed and wrote the songs? - are they a tribute to the name of the band or themselves?

What about Dr Feelgood - no original band members in the current line up - so a tribute?

I was at a folk festival a few years ago and heard a familiar tune being played.

It wasn't until they hit the chorus that I recognised it as one I'd recorded with a band way back in 1986.

It was a good version and I was very flattered that someone thought enough of that tune that they wanted to cover it. :)

When I was doing the Genesis tribute band circuit, pretty much all "current" and ex members at some point came to see one of the then-active bands. The general feeling one got was that of "thanks for taking the effort to play the music". Steve Hackett once said "I forgot how hard it all was" (regarding an early Genesis trib gig) but was also seen singing along to Land Of Confusion at a latter-period show.

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1373328414' post='2136375']
But then again, what about a 'tribute' band made up of various ex-members who performed and wrote the songs? - are they a tribute to the name of the band or themselves?
[/quote]

Oh, like Yes you mean

One of the guys on here CETERA playes in a KISS tribute band Dressed to Kill and they have played for various members including Gene Simmons and even played with some ex members on stage !

If there was an issue you'd expect Gene Simmons to be at the front of the que with his hand out : )