Why become a member? ×

P or J?

CaioBM

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1373065940' post='2133502']
What era McCartney?
You could be talking anything from Hofner to Rickenbacker to Jazz bass.
If you're just looking at Fenders I've never seen him use a Precision so a Jazz would be the way to go.
[/quote]

I'm talking Rickenbacker era

Rick on the neck pickup with tone half-rolled off, flatwounds, mutes under the strings, played between the pickups with a pick through a Vox 710 or 715 head and an open-back 2x10 (or 2x12) cab, distance miked from six feet with an AKG C12 in figure 8 mode and overdubbed in an empty studio onto the track through an EMI Redd 37 or 51 desk with an Altec 436c compressor and a Fairchild 670 compressor. Possibly a smidge of ADT in the background to thicken it up.

According to a combination of sources, that's approximately how Macca got the sound you would hear on Pepper. It would have sounded quite different in the room or in the context of a band gig which - of course - never happened. So no-one can really say how close [i]anything[/i] would sound. Well, no-one any of us is ever likely to meet.

So a Jazz it is, then. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1373071499' post='2133552']
Rick on the neck pickup with tone half-rolled off, flatwounds, mutes under the strings, played between the pickups with a pick through a Vox 710 or 715 head and an open-back 2x10 (or 2x12) cab, distance miked from six feet with an AKG C12 in figure 8 mode and overdubbed in an empty studio onto the track through an EMI Redd 37 or 51 desk with an Altec 436c compressor and a Fairchild 670 compressor. Possibly a smidge of ADT in the background to thicken it up.
[/quote]

Is this any good for metal?

P at the moment. I change frequently. Then I feel guilty and change back. What am I like. Ill be playing my P bass and ill catch my jazz looking at me thinking "what are you doing with that bitch? She's got a skinny arse, I thought you liked my fuller hips. You'll be back you bastard, and when you do, good luck trying to tune me you pig.

So then ill patch things up with the jazz and the p will start giving me the sad eyes saying, " I see youre back with Paduang with the fat arse. You know she's up and down and I'm convinced she's bipolar, hi one minute and low the next. At least with me you know where you stand........"
And so it goes on and on.........