Why become a member? ×

Jazz or Streamer? ... dilema

Fionn

For many many years I've played stereotypically classic active Warwick basses (dolphin/ thumb/ and presently a steamer stage1). So much so that they have influenced my approach to bass playing over the long haul ... but I find myself teetering on the brink of change. A crisis of "bass identity". I'm just not 100% sure about taking the plunge.

The thing that screwed my head up was playing a Jazz bass (American Standard) in a shop last year. I loved it; The sound, the feel of the neck, the playing position ([i]not so much the aesthetics or the feel of the big slabby body though[/i]). The thing that really got me is that mellow rolled-off passive vibe that sounds so good in the old school funk and disco that I love, yet it could still be tight, poky, and defined. The bass felt so "forgiving" to the touch and really suited my style.

Thing is though, I love my Streamer for all its punch, prescence, growly groovliciousness, woody goodness, and sexy good looks. They are so different. I can't justify nor afford both. AAAAArrrghhhh!!! I'm gassing like hell for a Jazz, but it's a leap of faith and regret is a terrible thing.

Jazz Bass players! Streamer players! Help! convince me, one way or the other.

Edited by Fionn

I had a very nice Streamer S1..it was my travelling bass. Replaced the pickups with EMG's and then DiMarzios, put in an Aguilar circuit - the sound got warmer but still could never do the passive Fender sound. It always had a middy edge that you couldn't remove. Back on J basses now and very happy.

I love the design and playability but it was just too modern a sound for what I wanted.

I recently found myself in a very similar position.

Like you I've played active basses exclusively for 25+ years (currently using a Spector Euro 5LX) but have been finding myself missing the sound you get from rolling off a passive tone control.
I recently bought a used markbass combo off a Basschat member & the VLE control does a good job of approximating the "rolled off tone control" sound when using an active bass but it's not quite the same.

I was doing some recording for a friend a few months ago & just used a bass that was hanging around at the studio, a mexican Fender Precision. I really liked how it sounded on tape & through the desk, so much so that I've just bought myself a used MIJ Precision.

Is it not worth looking for a cheaper alternative to the Jazz Bass you liked so much? The quality of the Mexican Fenders & the Squier classic vibe models is generally well regarded on here & they can be picked up secondhand for very good prices.

Edited by RhysP

Or this, he said shamelessly plugging his own bass :ph34r:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211316-fs-antoria-jazz-bass-mid-to-late-70s-vintage-mij-only-l175-ono/page__fromsearch__1

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1372851263' post='2130623']
Buy a cheap Squier or MIM Jazz, then upgrade it as financial circumstances allow...
[/quote]

+1

I can't recommend a CV Jazz enough. Great basses even before you make any upgrades.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1372851475' post='2130631']
Or this, he said shamelessly plugging his own bass :ph34r:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211316-fs-antoria-jazz-bass-mid-to-late-70s-vintage-mij-only-l175-ono/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

Ohh thats pretty!

+1 on getting hold of a second hand Squier Jazz Bass - I have the Vintage Modified 70's job and it's a better instrument than any of the MIM J's I've played. New they're about 300, but pre-owned you can pick them up for about 180-ish. They can be modded easily and any decent luthier can set them up to play as you want. The Farida Jazzers are also great budget basses.

Thank you for your responses folks. I suppose I'm thinking out loud here, but it's good to have the perspective of others. Aye, a cheap Jazz to gradually upgrade, alongside my SS1 might be the way.

Another thought. The Streamer Stage 2 has the Jazz Bass JJ pickup configuration, and the newer models have a switchable pre-amp (by way of a push-pull knob which switches from active to passive modes). I know that it wont sound like a Jazz but it might get me a bit closer. Perhaps that's a compromise.

Does anyone know what year Warwick changed to the switchable preamp in the Stage 2 particularly?

And if any Stage 2 players have any thoughts on this I'd be glad to hear them.

Moran taing!

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1372931170' post='2131688']
Thank you for your responses folks. I suppose I'm thinking out loud here, but it's good to have the perspective of others. Aye, a cheap Jazz to gradually upgrade, alongside my SS1 might be the way.

Another thought. The Streamer Stage 2 has the Jazz Bass JJ pickup configuration, and the newer models have a switchable pre-amp (by way of a push-pull knob which switches from active to passive modes). I know that it wont sound like a Jazz but it might get me a bit closer. Perhaps that's a compromise.

Does anyone know what year Warwick changed to the switchable preamp in the Stage 2 particularly?

And if any Stage 2 players have any thoughts on this I'd be glad to hear them.

Moran taing!
[/quote]

I'll just say that if you can't afford to get a jazz right now then there is no way you'll be able to afford a SS2, they're easily one of the more expensive Warwicks.

And having had an SS2 all I can say is that if you want a Jazz bass sound then you're better off getting a Jazz. SS2's sound amazing but they will never be able to give that passive single coil tone, I'm one who thinks Warwicks sound nasty when switched to passive as there is no tone control.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1372931931' post='2131711']
I'll just say that if you can't afford to get a jazz right now then there is no way you'll be able to afford a SS2, they're easily one of the more expensive Warwicks.

And having had an SS2 all I can say is that if you want a Jazz bass sound then you're better off getting a Jazz. SS2 sound amazing but they will never be able to give that passive single coil tone, I'm one who thinks Warwicks sound nasty when switched to passive as there is no tone control.
[/quote]

Aye, I know the price of SS2's. It would be instead of my SS1, definitely not in addition to it.

... and that's a fair point regaring the lack of tone control in passive mode.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1372932328' post='2131719']
Aye, I know the price of SS2's. It would be instead of my SS1, definitely not in addition to it.

... and that's a fair point regaring the lack of tone control in passive mode.
[/quote]

Well here's a good example of the sound of a SS2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kICLkq7jCCc

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1372848858' post='2130574']
For many many years I've played stereotypically classic active Warwick basses (dolphin/ thumb/ and presently a steamer stage1). So much so that they have influenced my approach to bass playing over the long haul ... but I find myself teetering on the brink of change. A crisis of "bass identity". I'm just not 100% sure about taking the plunge.

The thing that screwed my head up was playing a Jazz bass (American Standard) in a shop last year. I loved it; The sound, the feel of the neck, the playing position ([i]not so much the aesthetics or the feel of the big slabby body though[/i]). The thing that really got me is that mellow rolled-off passive vibe that sounds so good in the old school funk and disco that I love, yet it could still be tight, poky, and defined. The bass felt so "forgiving" to the touch and really suited my style.

Thing is though, I love my Streamer for all its punch, prescence, growly groovliciousness, woody goodness, and sexy good looks. They are so different. I can't justify nor afford both. AAAAArrrghhhh!!! I'm gassing like hell for a Jazz, but it's a leap of faith and regret is a terrible thing.

Jazz Bass players! Streamer players! Help! convince me, one way or the other.
[/quote]

Sounds to me like you are dyed-in-the-wool Warwick player , so the bottom line is that the Streamer has to stay . I guarantee that if you sold it , you would be full of remorse and end up on a quest to find another one in no time at all . So , in the fullness of time , you need to get a decent Jazz Bass of one kind or another . The good news is that there are [u]loads [/u]out there . Even a casual browse of the Basschat classifieds will throw up a lot of possibilities , and there are always good deals to be done . Why not save up a few quid over a period of time , and make adding a Jazz Bass a medium - term project ? You can enjoy looking in the meantime . I would also concur that a SS2 will never substitute for a Fender Jazz . The woods , hardware , and electronics on a SS2 are all in many ways the antithesis of what makes a Fender sound "Fenderish" . If you get a Jazz in addition to your Warwick , between the two you will have a huge variety of sounds available to you . Having said all of that , I find a good Jazz Bass is so versatile that I can quite happily use that as my only bass in any musical context I can think of , so if , for whatever reason , in future you ever ended up with just a Jazz , then it wouldn't be the end of the World .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='funkypenguin' timestamp='1376829035' post='2179563']
Assuming you haven't sold your streamer (ran into this thread on the off chance), fit a John East U-Retro preamp. Had one fitted to my streamer and it sounds awesome in active or passive modes
[/quote] I stuck an ACG preamp in mine - and likewise I can approach fender like territory now...... (only active mind, but with that preamp you don't mind)
But.... for a fender sound you can't beat a good fender bass. Boutique what nots, fancy preamps sometimes what sounds best is a good passive fender. The good news is that you can get a very good bass for not a lot. Like go and buy a top of the range USA model if you want - I picked up my jazz in a trade, it has an awesome fender/squier japan neck and it sounds awesome- in terms of value in the trade I think it was under £200 - and it's good. Theres something in the construction, pickups, number of frets.... it just works.

Mind you I can get the ACGed Streamer close enough if I want!

But don't bass gear have a custom Thumb bass with your name on it at the moment?

I have been through a similar thought process to the OP but the killer for me is that chuffin great big horrible flat slab of wood that they call a Jazz body!

I seriously can not get used to that big lump of wood over the lovely diminutive comfort that is a Streamer body. I own a SSII (up for sale actually) and I can categorically say that it can NOT be made to sound like a Jazz even with the preamp bypassed (mine is an 87 and you don't have the push/pull option which came in during very early 90's but there is no exact date/science with Warwick), which I have had on previous SSII basses. If you want the Jazz sound you need to buy a Jazz... unfortunately! :lol:

Jazz Bass all day long, and then some.

My first love. Whenever I look for potential new basses I look through countless different models from countless different manufacturers, including Warwicks. Then what happens? I land right back on a Fender Jazz.

The looks of the instrument, astonishing. I mean they probably have the nicest looking body shape of all basses. That neck too. Perfection.

Even if it looked disgusting, it'd still be immense. I mean the sounds it can produce. It's the Swiss Army Knife of basses. That's why you can spot them in smokey jazz bars all the way up passed busted up, packed to the brim punk and metal venues and on to massive stadiums featuring sellout rock artists. Versatility.

I personally think that Fender struck perfection on the second time round (sorry Precision enthusiasts). Your Streamer might sound gorgeous and has its own pros and cons, much like the instrument that my heart belongs too, but it'll never hold a candle to it.

[quote name='ChickenKiev' timestamp='1376858941' post='2180127']
Jazz Bass all day long, and then some.

My first love. Whenever I look for potential new basses I look through countless different models from countless different manufacturers, including Warwicks. Then what happens? I land right back on a Fender Jazz.

The looks of the instrument, astonishing. I mean they probably have the nicest looking body shape of all basses. That neck too. Perfection.

Even if it looked disgusting, it'd still be immense. I mean the sounds it can produce. It's the Swiss Army Knife of basses. That's why you can spot them in smokey jazz bars all the way up passed busted up, packed to the brim punk and metal venues and on to massive stadiums featuring sellout rock artists. Versatility.

I personally think that Fender struck perfection on the second time round (sorry Precision enthusiasts). Your Streamer might sound gorgeous and has its own pros and cons, much like the instrument that my heart belongs too, but it'll never hold a candle to it.
[/quote] you can't make a jazz thump like precision.... you can get a streamer's (SS1 4 string) neck pickup closer than a jazz will get....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1376859984' post='2180139']
you can't make a jazz thump like precision.... you can get a streamer's (SS1 4 string) neck pickup closer than a jazz will get....
[/quote]

But at least you can get a precision-esque tone out of a jazz, whereas streamers will always fall short of replicating a classic jazz tone.

I'm a huge Jazz bass fan, My Sandberg was my perfect bass but being realistic with myself, I'm a fairly small framed guy, A streamer is far more comfortable for me (I don't own one but I have played many!) and can still produce great tones, I'm tempted to try one of the WARMOTH Dinky J's though, I might get a long with those a little bit easier!

Cai