Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury: Mumford?

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1372698874' post='2128770']
There really are quite a few bitter people on this forum. Reading through some of the threads today when I got back from Glastonbury really pissed me off, full of total vitriol for bands that obviously work incredibly hard in order to get where they are. We get it, you don't like festivals/band 'X' or whatever, but it's like some people are doing their best to make themselves sound middle-aged, hapless and grumpy and it's working a real treat. Get some joy in your lives, understand that people have varying ideas on what constitutes good music and might not completely agree with the bluntness of your point of view. It's f***ing boring and not what I thought this forum was usually about.

[/quote]

A couple of questions for you in that case . Why would " working incredibly hard to get where they are ", as you put it , redeem or recommend the music of the acts you talk about ? Why would not enjoying their music be neccesarrily due to an inability or reluctance to feel joy ? You say that we need to accept that people have a variety of views on music , but then you are telling others off for not sharing your view and expressing themselves in a way you disapprove of .

Edited by Dingus

I've said I don't really get what they do... but if the job came up and I could see the way where is would add up to something then I might go for it.
I would probably certainly do a tour.... depending what the figures were and all the rest.... and I could say that about quite a few positions.
You would have to know how the music worked for you... but, in theory..??

Trouble is..you have to get offered the gig :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1372699694' post='2128782']
Fair do's Nige. My view is that there's nothing to stop side projects to engage your creativity while pulling in the bucks and adulation as a day job. Plus I am a slag
[/quote]

:lol:

I need affirmation and of course adulation is nice, but it has to be for the right reasons :)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372700105' post='2128794']

A couple of questions for you in that case . Why would " working incredibly hard to get where they are ", as you put it , redeem or recommend the music of the acts you talk about ? Why would not enjoying their music be neccesarrily due to an inability or reluctance to feel joy ? You say that we need to accept that people have a variety of views on music , but then you are telling others off for not sharing your view and expressing themselves in a way you disapprove of .
[/quote]

I have no issue debating music openly but vitriol is different. This thread is riddled with the latter.

As a jobbing bass player, you may find you HAVE to take gigs that you might not really want....
and like it or not, the Mumford gig would go well on the C.V, for sure.

Depending what you earn and what you have to earn, you may have to think about filling x number of months a year with
good payers.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1372701479' post='2128819']
I have no issue debating music openly but vitriol is different. This thread is riddled with the latter.
[/quote]

You are quite right about the vitreol , but there does seem be something about the Mumfords that brings that out of people :) . To me , their music sounds like it has been contrived to be the soundtrack of an advert for cider or some kind of frozen fish pie and the band look like actors in some British chickflick kind of a movie , but they are just the latest in a long line of bands to feel a backlash to their success .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372702256' post='2128835']...they are just the latest in a long line of bands to feel a backlash to their success.[/quote]

The British love an underdog, but as soon as you're the, er.. 'overdog' it's a different story.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372702366' post='2128839']
The British love an underdog, but as soon as you're the, er.. 'overdog' it's a different story.
[/quote]

In many cases , yes , but their are notable exceptions . Adele is the current one that springs immidiately to mind . She has had massive success yet still garners incredible goodwill from the British public . She seems to have the common touch , in that respect . Coldplay , on the other hand ...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372703402' post='2128857']Yes, but their are notable exceptions. Adele has had massive success yet still garners incredible goodwill from the British public. She seems to have the common touch...[/quote]

In my opinion she's still seen as 'one of us', because she's, er... 'big boned'.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1372691369' post='2128642']
I don't feel any jealousy at the Mumfords, just mild irritation that because they're successful exposure to their crap is harder to avoid. I think they're popular because they write very simple songs based around the same repetitive ideas, so people who aren't really into music at all don't have to deal with any kind of learning curve or emotional intensity, and if they like one song it's a fairly safe bet the others won't offer any unwanted challenges.
[/quote]

Ah, we have a music snob amongst us, who believes that simple songs are not worthy and that people who don't understand musical complexity have no opinions worth listening to.

Well, it's a point of view I suppose.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372692782' post='2128668']
You speak for yourself.
I've got a unbelievably sh*t badly paid menial job but I'd genuinely rather do that than play music I absolutely detest.
[/quote]

That sounds plain daft to me. if you're prepared to spend your working life doing an unbelievably sh*t menial job with bad pay, surely it would be better to do a highly paid job playing unbelievably sh*t music?

After all, you could still play the music you DO like during your spare time - of which you'd probably have a lot more if you were in M&S.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372698546' post='2128763']
At least you are airing your views mate, that's a good thing, and if they are contentious, you'll get some sh*t thrown your way, us gobsh*tes get plenty of sh*t :) Don't take it personally. The Arctics are really good, but they're working class aren't they? Not now of course, they are rich, living an upper class life ;) :P
[/quote]

The Emperor's New Mo..., sorry, Arctic Monkeys? I watched them with an open mind and hated them. Are they sh*te? Only in my opinion. ;)

I really enjoyed Kenny Rogers though.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1372705008' post='2128896']
The Emperor's New Mo..., sorry, Arctic Monkeys? I watched them with an open mind and hated them. Are they sh*te? Only in my opinion. ;)
[/quote]

Confirming this rare outburst of subjectivity, I rather enjoyed them - though I was one of the masses on Twitter wondering about his accent. He can't be seeing his mam much talking like that :lol:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1372704265' post='2128875']
Ah, we have a music snob amongst us, who believes that simple songs are not worthy and that people who don't understand musical complexity have no opinions worth listening to.

Well, it's a point of view I suppose.
[/quote]

:D

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1372705162' post='2128905']
Confirming this rare outburst of subjectivity, I rather enjoyed them - though I was one of the masses on Twitter wondering about his accent. He can't be seeing his mam much talking like that :lol:
[/quote]

Cue "there's a guy in the Arctic Monkeys thinks he's Elvis...." :lol:

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1372694572' post='2128705']
It wasn't meant as a dig, just saying thats where i think it fits if we are going to make boxes, and as i said everything has its place and Mumford have done well finding theirs, I fit somewhere else which can just as easily be joked about.

Anyway, as someone else said, if we started a thread about any large mainstream band, the responses would be fairly similar and spread out.
[/quote]
Sorry, I wasn't singling you out mate!

I meant generally there seems to be a lot of this class as a weapon thing going on. It's as if working class bands have worked harder and must be real authentic bands, whereas if you have a couple of bob spare and can afford a Strat and a couple of hours, you're a middle class ponce and don't deserve success cos you've got f*** all to write about, "Oh f***, Costa's has closed on the high street and now I have to put up with that Starbucks bollahhks'. Good working class geezers from council estates don't seem to have to justify their music, unless they are hip hop or rap artists, then of course they clearly have no musical ability and make right ol infernal racket, how DARE they shout rhythmically about how hard their life is and yet can afford a gold chain!

:)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372705596' post='2128919']

Sorry, I wasn't singling you out mate!

I meant generally there seems to be a lot of this class as a weapon thing going on. It's as if working class bands have worked harder and must be real authentic bands, whereas if you have a couple of bob spare and can afford a Strat and a couple of hours, you're a middle class ponce and don't deserve success cos you've got f*** all to write about, "Oh f***, Costa's has closed on the high street and now I have to put up with that Starbucks bollahhks'. Good working class geezers from council estates don't seem to have to justify their music, unless they are hip hop or rap artists, then of course they clearly have no musical ability and make right ol infernal racket, how DARE they shout rhythmically about how hard their life is and yet can afford a gold chain!

:)
[/quote]

Where are you getting all this coffee shop stuff from, you need to clarify

I do like the mocha at Starbucks, but it has to be a rare treat, for cash and calories

Blimey, I just caught up with the thread... my query was a simple question of what it was that people LIKE about them, to try and help me grasp what it is that has made them so hugely popular - i.e. fastest selling album of 2012 in the US, etc. I'd just like to understand what their appeal is, because I'm afraid it passes me by completely.

No need for the all this vitriol being spewed forth. As my dear old Scottish grandad used to say with a twinkle in his eye "If ye canna say somethin' nice, shut yer feckin' hole!" ;)

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1372708211' post='2128990']
Mumford, Bellowhead, Noah and the whale.....Not my bag at all.
[/quote]
I've heard a lot about Noah and the Whale but was surprised how ordinary they were. I wouldn't want to listen to too much of that.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1372707063' post='2128952']

Where are you getting all this coffee shop stuff from, you need to clarify

I do like the mocha at Starbucks, but it has to be a rare treat, for cash and calories
[/quote]
You need to read the XX thread :lol: