Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a cheap 5-stringer

1976fenderhead

Hey, I'm thinking of getting a cheap 5-string bass to play some songs that require it at home just for fun and to see if I like to play 5-strings in which case I'll later get a good one.

For reference, I've been playing for 21 years so I'm experienced and Fender Jazz is my thing but I also have a fretless Warwick Corvette which I love, and probably the best-sounding bass I've ever tried was a very expensive US Spector...

So, options I can think of are Squier and the cheap Warwick and Spector ranges... anything else? Squier is probably closest to what I like since I like Fender, but I'm not impressed with the quality of the backup Squier P-Bass Special I own... Warwick and Spector seem to have better pickups, maybe better construction for the price?

Brands I'd like to avoid: Ibanez, Peavey, Yamaha.

Limit: £300-something used, 200-something would be ideal.

Thanks!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

The problem with cheap 5's is that the low B ends up sounding like a wet fart. It may be hard for you to 'come down' to the overall tone of a cheaper instrument as I presume you have a nice Jazz and love the Corvette. £200 budget is mostly a tough call after owning premium basses.

I wasn't impressed with the cheap Squier, Spector and Warwick basses, may be worth uping the budget and getting a second hand Corvette as it'll be similar to the quality of the fretless you have.

Within your budget I seem to remember the OLP Tony Levin Stingray 5 sounding alright for the money, though it's still a cheapy. Stingray 5's have great B strings so maybe also go for an original SUB 5 from years back, the ones with the dodgy paint jobs, for around £300 -400 quid that'd be a lot of bang for your buck.

Good luck!

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1372122752' post='2121978']

The SUB range seems like a good option, I didn't know it...
[/quote]

Good call. Keep in mind that the newer Sub basses are not tof he same quality as the original mid 2000's USA made ones, which although uglier are much better. I've picked these up for friends before under £400, amazing value.

I had a vintage modified 5 jazz for 2 weeks (5 string wasn't for me back then) and thought the build quality was really good,better than my mex p Bass I had. Can't comment on the B though as had no experience. I really do think go secondhand for a good deal on a 'better' bass,especially now it's a buyers market. Funnily enough,have just got a German corvette 5 for a good price..hopefully it will last more then 2 weeks! Bloody good Bass though

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1372142700' post='2122022']
I had a vintage modified 5 jazz for 2 weeks (5 string wasn't for me back then) and thought the build quality was really good,better than my mex p Bass I had.
[/quote]

That was actually the bass I had in mind when I started this post, there's a good one on eBay. I'm more inclined towards the MM now though :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1372148400' post='2122087']
What's your beef with the brands you wish to avoid? Not stirring - genuine question.
[/quote]

Totally fair question. I can't explain technically in terms of the characteristics of the sound, but I generally find playing those basses underwhelming, as in cold-sounding, too 'clinical' and lacking personality, though they're usually very well built. On the other hand, my backup Squier is built like a piece of cr*p, has a terrible bridge, a dodgy neck/fretboard with buzz in odd places and doesn't stay in tune for long, yet I find its tone awesome despite it being made with the cheapest wood Indonesian forests have to offer. Go figure...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

IMO unless you get very lucky or find a bargain a cheap 5-string is always going to be disappointing. There's more to making a 5-string bass than a wider neck, an extra pole-piece on the pickup(s) and another saddle on the bridge. Getting a good sounding B string requires a whole new level of design and construction and unfortunately that doesn't come cheap yet.

Also beware of cheap basses touting a 35" scale length as a solution. If you like the extra space between the frets, that's good, but making the B string 3% longer (that's all it is) does not magically make it better feeling and sounding, that's down to the construction of the neck and the neck joint if there is one.

I see it all too often, people saying that they couldn't get on with a 5-string bass because the B-string felt sloppy and sounded undefined and nearly always it turns out that the bass was insufficiently well made to do justice to the string. My first 5-string, bought over 30 years ago cost £300 (when that was worth a lot more than it is now) and it failed to deliver a decent B. Luckily for me before I completely ran out of patience with the B-string I was able to try (and subsequently buy) an Overwater 5-string which was streets ahead in every respect, and I've not looked back.

Don't waste your money on a cheap 5-string, but instead spend some time playing as many good instruments as you can get hold of until you have found what you actually like, and while you save up for something that can actually deliver.

I would recommend the Squier VM Jazz 5-string. Or a Yamaha BB415 / BB425 if you change your mind about Yams! My BB415 has a great low B, better than any other I've tried (which admittedly is limited to the aforementioned Squier, a Fender USA P5, Cort Elrick, and SBBM Ray35), so not all cheap fivers have a poor low B!

Edited by dannybuoy

I know you want to avoid Peavey ;) ...but I've got a Peavey Cirrus BXP 5 at home and love it. Very playable, well built and offers a wide variety of tones (mine is strung with flats).

They're around £450 new but I managed to pick one up second hand for £200.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/peavey-cirrus-bxp-5-string-quilt-top-tiger-eye/51256

I got a Cort GB35a and am quite pleased with it. B-string is quite decent and the 2 pups allow for a variety of tones.
To be honest though; I never got the nice tones out of it that I get from my old fender jazz copy from the 70's.
And since I detuned that 4-string to D standard with a set of heavy gauge flatwounds on it, I hardly ever really need that 5-stringer anymore.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1372105294' post='2121765'] probably the best-sounding bass I've ever tried was a very expensive US Spector...
Limit: £300-something used, 200-something would be ideal.[/quote]

Slightly above your stipulated budget, but a lot of bass for the money: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191548-fs-spector-legend-5-l325/page__p__2113484__hl__spector__fromsearch__1#entry2113484"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191548-fs-spector-legend-5-l325/page__p__2113484__hl__spector__fromsearch__1#entry2113484[/url]

Ibanez SRA305. Wired V-V-T and then with the Ibanez "Phat II" version of the EMG EXB. The most versatile 5-string bass out there that is still intuitive to use on stage without having to hunt for a knob. Used should be right in the budget, if not even less expensive. It has all the proper design elements: longer upper horn for balance, 3-piece neck, light body, small tuners set up 2+3 so the B string doesn't bind, good pickups with the EMG HZ's, the "neck" pickup in the proper place (proportionally in the D-G position of a P-bass) in order to get the right balance of B string fundamental and overtones to speak properly, the right nut and bridge spacing: not too narrow, not too wide, etc. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, but it is still the best 5-string out there value-for-money.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1372159213' post='2122252']
Are you absolutely sure you want to avoid Yamaha? This is a lot of bass for your money:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209437-yamaha-trb-1005-pics-added/page__hl__trb1005__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209437-yamaha-trb-1005-pics-added/page__hl__trb1005__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

I bought this last Saturday. Alan, the previous owner (Keary5664) was off on an overseas trip almost straight away after my visit, so he hasn't had time to update the for sale thread.
I thought I'd let you know to avoid you wasting any time.