Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a cheap 5-stringer

1976fenderhead

• 3 weeks later...

Buy cheap buy twice - so sell your grandmother to double your budget :-) having said that I agree about the rb streamer 5 - I play one and also a dingwall combustion with my rock band and none of them can tell the difference ( although I sure can !)

I have a Yamaha BBG5S which I've had from new but hasn't been played seriously for about three or four years now. After buying a new doublebass I'm going to have to sell a few basses and this will be one of them. I know you said you didn't want a Yam, I'm just putting it out there :) .

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1374102550' post='2145414']
If you hadn't excluded Ibanez I would have thoroughly recommended a second hand SR505 or 605, which you'd just about get within your price range..
[/quote]

Or an SR305 brand new for £299 :) Plus the 'root beer' finish is pretty darn cool!

I had the 4-string version of this (different finish but the same bass) and it was a very nice bass. These basses seem to be somehat undervalued and a number have sold for less than £300. New I think they're £700ish.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Overwater-Active-5-string-Electric-Bass-Guitar-taken-in-part-exchange-new-/360695329793?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item53fb1df401"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53fb1df401[/url]

Edited by ead

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1374131155' post='2145508']
Or an SR305 brand new for £299 :) Plus the 'root beer' finish is pretty darn cool!
[/quote]
I don't doubt it, but I've not played one of those, so couldn't actually recommend it as such.
If its like other [size=4]Ibanezes that I have tried then it too will be an incredible bass for the money.[/size]

This will depend on the type of sound you're looking for so here's my 2p:

For a J or P type bass i would look into Squier CV and VM models (there are some new 5 string versions comming soon)

For a MM type i would look for a used Ibanez ATK305

For something more HiFi(ish) i think the best one i've tried was the Yamaha RBX375

There are a lot more options out there, i think the Yammy BB's also look very promissing.