Why become a member? ×

Playing rut-what can I do?

Jam

I've been playing for nearly 10 years, and I'd say I was a fairly competent player, nothing special though.
Had band practice last night and about halfway through I just stopped caring about bass. I LOVE the band, I'm also the singer and I'm really passionate about the songs we've written but I just didn't want to play anymore. Does anyone have times like this? I feel like I'm playing the same patterns and have reached a bit of a plateaux in my playing. I have a whole stack of books, ranging from slap to theory to all sorts, I just find sitting down and playing with books agonising. I've played with the radio, random songs on spotify and I just can't be bothered to play bass at the moment. I feel completely uninspired. What can I do? Can't afford lessons at the moment...
Apologies for being miserable, it's made me miserable, I used to be so passionate about bass.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1371768932' post='2118052']
Leave it for a week or two. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
Maybe swap some of your gear around?
[/quote]

That is very stupid advise.
Must be, coz I agree totally.

best,
bert

With all due respect: I'm wondering if "can't afford lessons at the moment" is the real problem here? Because it sounds as if you're depressed, to me. (I base that guess on bitter personal experience.)

Other question: is everyone else in the band still happy?

hth

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1371768932' post='2118052']
Leave it for a week or two. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
Maybe swap some of your gear around?

Truckstop
[/quote]

Sound advice. Tell you band you need some time out (just say you are going on holidays, it is summer after all). If you come back and still not inspired you may have to think about what you will do. I find sometimes I get a bit that way, a short break and even try playing different songs/styles help keep me motivated. Have you considered going to a jam night? Maybe getting out of your comfort zone and playing with different players might inspire you. If all that fails, google either victor Wooten, stanley clarke, james jamerson, pino Palladino or jaco, that should inspire you to want to pick your bass up!

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1371768764' post='2118051']
I've been playing for nearly 10 years, and I'd say I was a fairly competent player, nothing special though.
Had band practice last night and about halfway through I just stopped caring about bass. I LOVE the band, I'm also the singer and I'm really passionate about the songs we've written but I just didn't want to play anymore. Does anyone have times like this? I feel like I'm playing the same patterns and have reached a bit of a plateaux in my playing. I have a whole stack of books, ranging from slap to theory to all sorts, I just find sitting down and playing with books agonising. I've played with the radio, random songs on spotify and I just can't be bothered to play bass at the moment. I feel completely uninspired. What can I do? Can't afford lessons at the moment...
Apologies for being miserable, it's made me miserable, I used to be so passionate about bass.
[/quote]
I've felt like this for years. I used to eat sleep & breathe bass when I was younger, now I just don't really care about it. I have just bought myself an amp to try & get back into playing but it's not really working - even when I'm playing I feel totally disconnected from what I'm doing. I've also never been able to sit down with tutor books or whatever; I just find it so boring & unenjoyable. The old "play music you're not familiar with" thing has never worked for me either as the last thing I want to do is listen to music I don't like.

The fact that you seem to still be passionate about your band & songs would indicate to me that you're not depressed (as somebody else has suggested) - why not just concentrate on singing for a while, get another bass player in & see how that goes?

I was just reaching for "lessons" when I spied your comment!

To be honest, I've not been able to follow my own advice and get some lessons.

I have taken breaks before; tried to just listen to some music, and get back into that again - find some fire for the style of music, and then it's come back into my own playing.

Horses for courses, mind.

When i hit a rut, I either try to find new music and listen to it. Or listen to genius original music by someone else. I was in a rut recently and listening to Making Mirrors album by Gotye thru headphones just totally inspired me. Also, sometimes i pretend the bass is another instrument and play brass type phrases. And finally i'll ask the band to indulge me and just go crazy and practise playing all kinds of mental sh*t just to break down creative doors, so to speak!

I only ever play bass at gigs, reheasals, recording or when working out a bassline for songwriting.
The mere thought of sitting down with a book is making me yawn.
I would say you're in a phase of being a band member and songwriter who happens to be the one who plays bass. That sounds pretty good to me. Learn something new when you need it for the band.

I got like this when I was in metal bands, I spent years in the scene bouncing from band to band. I literally lived metal music & bass in these bands.
Then I just hit a brick wall, I didn't care or like playing the music anymore. The more I played the less I enjoyed it.

In the end I chucked the bass in & walked away from music all together, nowadays music that makes me excited is not what I was playing back then, nowadays I find that music gets me in different ways, change sometime happens when you were not expecting it to happen but it comes anyway.

I still like metal but I dont draw inspiration from it anymore, I also have found that the style is kind of part of me now, I can sometimes hear a slight influence from metal when I play......It always makes me grin.

Maybe you need to have a break , and have some down time, re think what makes you want to play bass. find the right questions & then Answer them. And either come back with a clearer mind or move on & start a new adventure.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1371808439' post='2118320']
I only ever play bass at gigs, reheasals, recording or when working out a bassline for songwriting.
The mere thought of sitting down with a book is making me yawn.
I would say you're in a phase of being a band member and songwriter who happens to be the one who plays bass. That sounds pretty good to me. Learn something new when you need it for the band.
[/quote]

This. It is a good place. :)

1. Have a break - over practising is as bad as not practising enough IMO.

2. I almost always practice along to some kind of computer generated drum groove/loop and find a lot of inspiration this way - try and find some beats that you wouldn't normally play to or use some interesting time signatures.

3. Try to deliberately play without using any of your usual licks and phrases, throw some random notes into what you do even if they sound 'wrong'.

Guest bassman7755

Being in a rut or reaching a plateau is usually the result of one area of weakness holding everything else back.

Of course exactly what this area is, is something that will depend of your natural ability in different areas and the approach you have to learning and playing. A good teacher should be able to work this out so stumping up for even one or two lessons might be worth it.

Sometimes it can be something as simple as not fluently knowing the note names on the whole neck (one of mine which I've been working on fixing).

A small amount of practice on your weak area will yield massively more results than endless practice at something you can already do well.

Edited by bassman7755