Why become a member? ×

Dingwalls.

fretmeister

After spending some proper time with my ABZ5, and playing in an orchestra with it too I have to ask...

Why do the other bass companies bother anymore?

I am seriously considering off loading everything (Status, Marleaux, Zon etc) to get more Dingwalls.

I'm blown away.

That is all.

Personally, I dislike the look of ABZ, but would love to try a super J or P.

Why do other companies bother? I suspect it's a rhetorical question, but I'll answer anyway. For whatever reason, many in the bass world are not ready or willing to embrace wonky frets.

Edited by Roland Rock

Love mine. Had an ABII as well, but it really wasn't anything the ABZ was, so it went. The design, finish, sounds and weight are all exemplary.

I've sold all my other high(ish) end stuff, the only other basses I have are frankenbuilds and cheapies with personal connections. Quite excited about putting Dingwall pups into the Laklandbird, though, then it's a John East U-Retro, and we'll see how much that brings to the party.

From their FAQ:

[b] Does Dingwall offer a left-handed bass?[/b]

Rating: -10[url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/faqs/does-dingwall-offer-a-left-handed-bass/#"] [/url] [url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/faqs/does-dingwall-offer-a-left-handed-bass/#"] [/url]

No, at this time we do not offer a left-handed bass.

Despite loving the neck/frets/tone/playability of my Super Jazz, I decided to put it up for sale as I just don't get on with any bass that isn't the ergonomic shape and style of the Streamer/NS bass (the exception being one or two other concave/convex Warwick shapes... but not the Thumb). Now if Dingwall could do me a NT Streamer shaped bass with a neck like their Super Jazz or if Warwick could reprofile their necks and fit wonky frets, I'd be all over it. :D

Sheldon fretted my "half-fanned" neck. With my old elbow, wrist and thumb injuries, it does great. Very ergonomic for me. I have a thread on the bass. I just can't do the whole fan, either from the directional or from the extended scale perspective.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1371681594' post='2117049']
Excellent quality. Just not my thing. I don't see any issues with normal parallel frets.
[/quote]

Pretty much my view. Though I haven't tried one so can't really judge yet.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1371681594' post='2117049']
Excellent quality. Just not my thing. I don't see any issues with normal parallel frets.
[/quote]
These Dingwall threads always end with the old "solution to a problem that doesn't exist" comment, fwiw I agree. That does not mean they are any more or less worthy but some of the nonsense I have heard about them is just that.

I had an AB1, liked the feel & clarity but couldn't get it to sound how I wanted despite returning it to passive so I moved it on.
I really enjoyed meeting Sheldon D & playing the 5 string P bass at the 2012 LBGS: if I have another, it would be one of them I think. Not top of the list though right now.

I think it's the Low B and E tone that does it for me, and as I'm currently playing with an orchestra a deep fundamental tone is wonderful to have.

Before that I had never heard a B as good as my Marleaux, but my ABZ is as far beyond that bass as the Marleaux is beyond the others I've tried.

The wonky frets are just the method of getting that low note clarity, the frets themselves were not a selling point.

Still hankering after an AB1 5-er after playing one last year at Bass Direct, but it requires the conjunction of the following:[list]
[*]Used example up for sale;
[*]Uncommitted fundage on my part; and
[*]Right place, right time!
[/list]