Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings massive price increase...

fretmeister

http://www.stringsdirect.co/stringmails/june2013/Elixir_Price_Rise/Elixir_Price_Rise.html

And cut n paste from Facebook...

A note from SD on facebook:

Strings Direct
"Hey Guys. Just a further update on the Elixir price rise. Below is the new prices effective from 1st July 2013.
Not as bad as we were first informed by our supplier. But still a 40% increase on some sets.
If anyone feels they bought any stock that they didn't want as a result of the initial Elixir price rise email/posts please contact us for a returns number and we will happily refund you in full."

80/20 Acoustics £14.99 (+16%)
Phos Bronze Acoustics £15.99 (+14.6%)
Electric Strings £11.95 (+9.5%)
Bass Strings £42.95 (+43%)

So us low Enders are well f***ed.

Possibly, but I do like them and the only other coated set I've tried I hated & were a complete false economy as they came off the bass almost immediately. Not sure whether you'd call EB Cobalts coated - I think the answer must be no - but I've also tried a couple of sets of those and still ended up back at the Elixirs.

Elsewhere there was a quote from Roger Sadowsky that the majority of coated strings (Elixir included) lead to hum on the bass as the coating meant that the earth through contact over the bridge was disturbed leading to ground hum. Tested it on the L2500 last night in the village hall r/h room - allnoisy flourescent lights - and not a peep in either active or passive mode ... so who knows on that score. It may be something to watch for if you use coated strings and start to get earth buzz/hum you never had before, but that is not my personal experience.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1371157400' post='2110751']
If you like zingy coated strings, try DR Strings. Though it seems roundwound strings have doubled in price since I switched to flatwound.
[/quote]Funny how strings suit different people isn't it. I am 99% sure it was DR coated's that I tried a couple of years back in a LBGS deal, and absolutely hated :lol:

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1371158093' post='2110769']
Funny how strings suit different people isn't it. I am 99% sure it was DR coated's that I tried a couple of years back in a LBGS deal, and absolutely hated :lol:
[/quote]
Very true.
In my rock band days, zingy strings was the way for me & the DR's did it for me. Now I'm more of a funk/electro guy, flats get me the sound I'm after. :)

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1371164995' post='2110873']
That's beyond excessive, seeing as the guitar strings have only gone up a max of 16%. I may have to try xilddx's suggestion of Cleartone EMPs when i'm next due for a change.

Liam
[/quote]

Seriously man, they are bright and rich and I get a good thump out of em. I use the 100-40s. The coating is 1 micron so they feel pretty much like plain nickel, nothing like that horrible sticky roughness of stainless. The compliance is quite soft. The brightness lasts for ages too, and the coating does not flake or come off, and I play hard, and with a pick sometimes. They make the Warwick EMPs, but Cleartone are ten knicker cheaper. Get them from PaulCommerford on ebay, he's cool, Stringbusters are out of them at the moment. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cleartone-6440-Nickel-Plated-EMP-Treated-Bass-strings-40-100/300736510321?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D8358045449947679425%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D300736510321%26

I just checked and the bloody price has dropped a fiver! They are now £23.50!

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1371174163' post='2110922']
How can they justify this outrageous price rise and expect to keep customers or I missing something? Are they trying to put themselves out of business? Please enlighten me.
[/quote]

I'm guessing they had some sort of increase in cost of materials or overheads? Still doesn't justify why the % increase is so much higher for bass strings than guitar tho.

Having said that, I haven't heard of other suppliers having price increases. Maybe elixir are taking advantage of the recent increase in their reputation? Personally, I'm not gonna pay £43 for a set of any strings, let alone a 4 string set of roundwounds.

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1371194292' post='2110963']
Just bought a set of these clear tones. Need a heavier gauge for the Ricky and someone suggested Elixirs. Be great if they work out. Reasonably cheap, just over £22 delivered from eBay.
[/quote]
Do let us know mate.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1371227091' post='2111475']
I have been using elixirs for years, but if I have to endure such a huge price increase I will be changing to another brand. This kind of price increase is an insult to bass players.
[/quote]

I've used DR Black Beauties (coat wears off very quickly and they die fast too), Elixirs (too much coat, very soft feeling), Warwick EMPS (superb but expensive (£37, made by Cleartone), and now I use Cleartone, the same as Warwick EMPs but £23.50 on ebay. See my post above about their characteristics.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1371228605' post='2111510']
I've used DR Black Beauties (coat wears off very quickly and they die fast too), Elixirs (too much coat, very soft feeling), Warwick EMPS (superb but expensive (£37, made by Cleartone), and now I use Cleartone, the same as Warwick EMPs but £23.50 on ebay. See my post above about their characteristics.
[/quote]

I will certainly give the Cleartones a try out. I think its bye bye elixirs. I just refuse to be ripped off and that sort of a price increase is just robbery

Conversely Fodera strings are all 10% off this month at BassGear :)

Makes a 4 string set just £22.50 or a 5 set £27 (plus postage if you can't get to the store).

I think you just need to put 'Birthday' in as redemption offer or phone Phil and say you'd like the Fodera Birthday offer.

I really like their nickel sets and have been slowly swapping over from Elixirs over the last year or so. Id previously favoured DR Sunbeams but I prefer the Foderas now.

I had a Monarch that came with the Wooten 40-95 set and quite liked the slinky 95 E. I've generally gone for a more standard 40-100 set now as the 95 was maybe a bit wimpy on my 33" scale Ritter.

They aren't coated but, certainly with the nickel variety, I haven't found them harsh on my fingers (or fretboards), lol.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1371208300' post='2111169']
Do let us know mate.
[/quote]

Just put the cleartones on my Ricky and I have to admit I think they are excellent. They feel great the coating is really subtle. I generally find the rick a bit of a challenge but the heavier gauge really helps out.