Why become a member? ×

Who on Basschat has the most expensive bass?

Jonny Walker

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1468575992' post='3091853']
Seeing as becoming a bass player/musician ruined my life as i should have done Sciences at Uni instead of music and gotten a proper jobs.
[/quote]

Yes it ruined mine too... all those teenage years trying to be a rockstar instead of studying to be an investment banker... I'd be retired by now :angry:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1468576440' post='3091860']
Yes it ruined mine too... all those teenage years trying to be a rockstar instead of studying to be an investment banker... I'd be retired by now :angry:
[/quote]
Innit, it kills me everyday. It was ridiculous fun and debauched tho....but that means absolutely nowt!

Don't regret the past guys! I'm 'lucky' enough to have managed to still get involved in music a lot as a part time hobby and play/tour when younger, and still study law. I just spaced everything out...didn't rush off to Uni at 18,waiting 2 years, didn't rush to law school, waited 2 years etc. I even had a few years before I actually trained.

So, I'm older, but I've enjoyed A LOT.

Basses? My 'most expensive' bass is a Musicman Classic Stingray 5 in Natural/maple board. It plays and sounds every bit as good as the money I paid. Wonderful instrument.

Unless I came into serious money, I doubt I'd EVER spend more than £1700 on bass. I'd rather have lots of mid range £800-1400 than a couple of £4k instruments.

I imagine one of the collectors on here has the most expensive bass, and I imagine it is a vintage Fender. Either that, or a super high end Fodera.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1468574937' post='3091844']
Good man, toneknob. Satellite Precision copy here. Must be worth all of £50. Mine's bigger/more expensive that yours, eh?
[/quote]

See you round the back of the bins for a weigh-off.

I used to work for a well-known (now ex) computer games company, and at the second interview I was talking to the company founder (a bit of character/ego) and the more grounded project manager. Proj Mgr sees I'm a musican from my CV and asks what I've got. 1975 black Ricky, "Ooo"; double-neck Shergold bass/12 "oh! well you are a prog fan I guess"; Musicman StingRay fretless "nice!" (under his breath) "show off".

Company founder gets a bit huffy that he's not the centre of attention any more, says "well I'VE got a 1978 PAIR OF PANTS in YELLOW so there" and leaves the room

(still got the job)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1468577641' post='3091874']
Don't regret the past guys! I'm 'lucky' enough to have managed to still get involved in music a lot as a part time hobby and play/tour when younger, and still study law. I just spaced everything out...didn't rush off to Uni at 18,waiting 2 years, didn't rush to law school, waited 2 years etc. I even had a few years before I actually trained.

So, I'm older, but I've enjoyed A LOT.

Basses? My 'most expensive' bass is a Musicman Classic Stingray 5 in Natural/maple board. It plays and sounds every bit as good as the money I paid. Wonderful instrument.

Unless I came into serious money, I doubt I'd EVER spend more than £1700 on bass. I'd rather have lots of mid range £800-1400 than a couple of £4k instruments.

I imagine one of the collectors on here has the most expensive bass, and I imagine it is a vintage Fender. Either that, or a super high end Fodera.
[/quote]
So basically what you're saying is:-

Don't worry if you've f***ed your life up...mine's great!

Hahaha

[quote name='Alan Fourstrings' timestamp='1468619760' post='3092266']
This one ??? :rolleyes:

[/quote]

I would be nervous of taking that Buzzard out to a gig, for the fear of taking someones eye out! :D
http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/bass/bass8602.html

John Entwistle's Frankenstein bass sold for ahem £62,400 when auctioned at Sotheby's, see http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2003/the-john-entwistle-collection-w03875/lot.168.html

Change the placing of the thumbrest and it looks a lot like my £70 Slammer.

See the whole lot at http://www.sothebys.com/en/search-results.html?keyword=entwistle+bass

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1468652485' post='3092344']
That absolutely must be good for metal surely?
[/quote]

I imagine it would self destruct if you tried to play mustang sally on it.

I imagine a decent DB will be more expensive than anything other than a collector's item BG. I play cello and a basic Chinese cello is £1,500. New UK luthier made starts at around £8k. 'Cheap' German/Italian/French/English from around early C20th start at about £5k, anything 'interesting' starts at about £8k+. Even a decent C19th English instrument will be £20k+. DBs are probaly similar, or more...

£2500 for my EBMM 25th Anniversary bought new in 2012 and £46 for my Harley Benton Progressive 5 Deco bought new in 2015. One extreme to the other! I've spent a lot of time working in Yorkshire in the past couple of years where the natives really understand the value of money. Think this has rubbed off on me lol.

My very lovely Ritter Classic 2004 has had a number of valuations but the most sensible I've had is for £3000.
The previous owner paid a great deal more, the folks at Ritter quoted me £8.5 gbp to have it built now.
Probably the most expensive bass I'll ever own. What impresses me is that In comparison to other 'nice' instruments is that I can really see, feel and hear why Jens Ritters' products are so highly regarded and valuable. The quality is tangible, these things are always subjective though.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1468659334' post='3092409']
John Entwistle's Frankenstein bass sold for ahem £62,400 when auctioned at Sotheby's, see http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2003/the-john-entwistle-collection-w03875/lot.168.html

Change the placing of the thumbrest and it looks a lot like my £70 Slammer.

See the whole lot at http://www.sothebys.com/en/search-results.html?keyword=entwistle+bass
[/quote]

I just had a quick scan down of the stuff that sold. Ok, granted it was a few years ago, but there does seem to be a few biggish ticket items selling for fairly reasonable prices.

Never got this "ex famous name guitar" nonsense. There's a shop in Chelsea that advertises ordinary instruments that are supposed to have been owned by stars for silly prices. They're still in business, so I assume some fool must buy them.Crazy.