Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror replacement - recommendations, please

Jacqueslemac

I think my Bass Terror has died. First the inrush current suppressor came loose, but when that was repaired the bass kept fading in and out. My local repair guy tells me it might be serious and I should send it back to Orange (it's a year or so out of warranty).

Now, I like the sound of the Orange (warm, old-school, not too punchy and I never, ever slap), so which head should I consider as a replacement in case the Orange is too expensive to fix?

Ampeg PF500
Ampeg SVT Micro VR
Ashdown Little Bastard 30
Ashdown CTM 15
Ashdown MAG 300H
Fender Rumble 350 head
Gallien Krueger MB500 Ultra Light Head
Marshall MB450H
TC Electronic BH500

I should add that my backup amp is a Hartke HA2000 (200 watt) and it's almost flat out when I gig.

For the warmth and gain options, from those listed I`d look at the Marshall. It will do OTB sounds, and is very versatile due to the 2 separate channels, and channel-blend facility. I`d also check out the Fender - their bass amps are warm and have a good gain on them. Have a look at the Fender Cabronita Precision bass clip below for an idea of Fender bass amps sound.

The Ampeg has similar tones to the OTB, but even running the gain high, it`s nothing like the OTB - gain on 3 on the OTB is more distorted/gainy than the PF500 on 10. Likewise, the GK MB500, and this amp is also much crisper/cleaner in its sound. Polar opposite to OTB in my view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9u9aOOiNM

Any reason to not just stick with the terror? You might have been unlucky with yours but in general they seem to be pretty reliable. Is it the reliability you're concerned with, not happy with the sound, or just fancy a change?

Complicated question, seeing the range of amps you mention.

The ones I know or know a little:
Little Bastard 30: Admittedly has 30 [b]valve[/b] watts, but still only 30 watts - not 500. Can you live with that?
IMHO it's a far more refined amp than the Terror Bass (I have both), and once you know the EQ, it's versatile. Where the OTB is a rocker, to me the LB is more of an Eric Clapton, if you get my drift.

MAG 300: from comments here, apparently a little marmite (veggiemite?), but if you're willing to dial, it has a good EQ where the sweeps are very important. Not a stand-out amp in my book, but will get the job done in many different styles. Apparently must not be combined with the MAG 410. Compressor usable - not more. SubOctave usable only on long, long tones.

BH500: well-sounding but maybe slightly anonymous. Very versatile. IMHO a great SpectraComp compressor and great ValveTone. I'll probably get one in addition to the others, just for the heckfun of it.

All the others seem to come highly regarded, but I haven't tried them.

Good luck!

best,
bert

Have you abused the BT? Why has it died?
If it's not been your fault, then sack the warranty & take it back under your statutory rights. It's not a £30 amp & should be lasting much longer if it's been treated right.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1370125145' post='2096834']
Any reason to not just stick with the terror? You might have been unlucky with yours but in general they seem to be pretty reliable. Is it the reliability you're concerned with, not happy with the sound, or just fancy a change?
[/quote]

The only reason not to stick with it is I've lost confidence in it.

I will send it back to Orange first, though and see what they say.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1370152455' post='2096937']
Have you abused the BT? Why has it died?
If it's not been your fault, then sack the warranty & take it back under your statutory rights. It's not a £30 amp & should be lasting much longer if it's been treated right.
[/quote]

No idea why it died. It's used once a week for rehearsals and once a month for gigs. It's always lived in its carry bag and rarely pushed beyond half volume.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1370174659' post='2097190']

No idea why it died. It's used once a week for rehearsals and once a month for gigs. It's always lived in its carry bag and rarely pushed beyond half volume.
[/quote]

Sometimes things just fail, that's why I always take a spare amp with me to gigs.
I bought a shuttlemax 9.2 for my main amp and the orange terror is a back up.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1370174659' post='2097190']
[/quote]
Take it back to the shop first. That's who you bought it off of, so they're legally responsible for selling a faulty product. They would then deal with Orange.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1370158168' post='2096961']
You might add a Genz Benz Streamliner 6 to your list
[/quote]

I had one before my OTB. I found I was always fighting the EQ and it wasn't very loud due it's built in limiter kicking in far too early. Supposedly 600W but the 500W Terror felt twice as loud at 1/4 volume than the Streamliner did cranked! I could play the Genz in my bedroom at full volume but not dared to take the Terror over 30%!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1370193492' post='2097425']
I had one before my OTB. I found I was always fighting the EQ and it wasn't very loud due it's built in limiter kicking in far too early. Supposedly 600W but the 500W Terror felt twice as loud at 1/4 volume than the Streamliner did cranked! I could play the Genz in my bedroom at full volume but not dared to take the Terror over 30%!
[/quote]Well there's interesting. Horses for courses I suppose. I'm always getting told to 'turn the **** down" :lol: Never seen the limiter light up & never had the input & gain past 12 o'clock & output past 10 o'clock. Kill switch (sorry boost) on. Possibly the Super12T's efficiency is a factor there, but it cuts through with a nice warm & solid tone.

I would also add [i][u]don't[/u][/i]confuse with & try the Shuttle 6 as that is an entirely different beast and in my A/B test at least far less warm

My Streamliner's never been over about nine o'clock on the master, gain/input about noon. :blink:

Was at that last night at a 200-head wedding gig, drums through the PA, I wasn't. Deafeningly loud head - at least as loud as anything I've had, including LMIII, Mesa M-Pulse, etc.

Did accidentally play it that loud once in the garage when I'd left the dials untouched post-gig, hit an open E and the place basically dismantled itself - I was picking up jars and tools for ten minutes... :D

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1370190792' post='2097374']
Even after a couple of years? I'll give it a go, thanks.
[/quote]

Sale of Goods Act covers you upto 6 years. I took a 3 year old Xbox 360 back for free repairs due to poor workmanship.

Not many mentioning the MB500. I had the MB500 and the OTB500 at the same time.

They're both great amps, but in very different ways and with very different results. If you liked the sound of your OTB then you're unlikely to want to replace it with an MB500.

I replaced mine with a TC 450 Classic. It really does a very good job. Although it's not got the 'heft' of a Terror.
Unfortunately I'm DI'd on all gigs these days and even with a -40db attenuator I couldn't get a reasonable FOH sound. If the Terror had a good DI output I'd have kept it. They do sound glorious to my ears.