Why become a member? ×

Jools Holland!!!

leschirons

Just getting to the end of this now.

Some bloke called Miguel who's singing goes a bit wafty when he dances (apparently No1 in the USA)
Deep Valley, no bass, and no talent and probably no pants
Beady eye, sh*t anyway
Bloke from OMD got his bass strung upside down if I wasn't imagining it
Bloke doing a poem.

What's this programme coming to? :blink:

Now I'm not a fan of Oasis or either of the Gallagher bros normally, but I REALLY liked that new Beady Eye track, VERY good old school rock song, it's a classic sounding song and very catchy, liked the horns but then again I ALWAYS like horns on a track. Although it does sound like a rip off on the main progression of All Along the Watchtower?!

Wasn't swayed by Miguel, good voice just boring music to me, same old same old in my books

Deep Valley were, different, not sure I liked them or not might have to check them out again

KT Tunstall was phenomenal as always, she's such an amazing song writer and musician!

Liked new Beady Eye tracks alot more than when I previewed them on YouTube. However album buyers are in for a shock as some of Be is close to Prog with Liam singing a strange high range.

Deap Valley must be using a sub-octaver effect as I could hear bass notes paralleling the Jagstang guitar.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1369863474' post='2093792']
Just getting to the end of this now.

Some bloke called Miguel who's singing goes a bit wafty when he dances (apparently No1 in the USA)
Deep Valley, no bass, and no talent and probably no pants
Beady eye, sh*t anyway
Bloke from OMD got his bass strung upside down if I wasn't imagining it
Bloke doing a poem.

What's this programme coming to? :blink:
[/quote]

[size=4]If you haven't got anything nice to say...[/size]

That's part of the problem with Rush now, it's so 'big' a show that they probably can't get their heads round the concept of popping in a studio with minimal kit and knocking some songs out. It would have to be the full on entourage taking over massive amounts of space, BBC studio probably couldn't handle it. These sorts of tours are also very highly organised so a performance probably couldn't be fit into the schedule. They might get one or two band members to turn up for a quick interview (as happened with Deep Purple the other week) though.

I thought it was pretty good (usually there's not much I can be bothered with on Jools). Old Liam in an anorak and wearing dark glasses.... indoors I thought Beady Eye sounded better than Oasis. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miguel sounded a bit Marvin Gaye. Deep valley are different and a bit out there. And KT Tunstall is still as groovy as she used to be, when I'd buy her a cup of tea to keep her hands warm, as she busked on Rose Street in Edinburgh back in the day.[/font][/color]

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1369914288' post='2094340']
That's part of the problem with Rush now, it's so 'big' a show that they probably can't get their heads round the concept of popping in a studio with minimal kit and knocking some songs out. It would have to be the full on entourage taking over massive amounts of space, BBC studio probably couldn't handle it.
[/quote]

it would do them no harm to be reminded of what's at the core of their existence...

They might get one or two band members to turn up for a quick interview (as happened with Deep Purple the other week) though.
[/quote]Alex Lifeson did an interview on Planet Rock last week, so they are available for this sort of thing.

Later is mostly VERY disappointing (IMO), but sometimes, very rarely there are gems: Ben l'oncle Soul, great band I'd never heard of; Green Day, marvellous as is, but the look of awe on their faces as they watched Jools interview The Clash was priceless; Seasick Steve, great personality, great performer. I think the producers need to try and go a little more mainstream as it's often hard to find anyone with a positive comment about the show. Very BBC in this regard, no advertisers to answer to (they don't listen to license fee payers).

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1369914686' post='2094351']
I think the producers need to try and go a little more mainstream as it's often hard to find anyone with a positive comment about the show. Very BBC in this regard, no advertisers to answer too (they don't listen to license fee payers).
[/quote]

I disagree - BBC peak-time has this covered, along with seventeen million commercial radio and TV channels.

I'm glad a teeny-tiny part of the license fee is going towards challenging people...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1369914893' post='2094360']
I'm glad a teeny-tiny part of the license fee is going towards challenging people...
[/quote]I find The Voice very challenging too (not to put my boot through the screen) and there's nothing redeeming about that show :D so Later wins there.

Grumpy Ez returns back under his rock.

Edited by ezbass

I liked Deep Valley. There's was something Sabbath-ish about that riff they had going on. Definitely a band I'm going to keep a beady eye on...

Speaking of which, I really liked their parting song but Liam is such a **** he makes my skin crawl with embarrassment. He's like a cartoon character these days.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369904389' post='2094089']
Thanks Dark Lord!

That Deap Vally track is awesome. Just gone and pre-ordered their album.
[/quote]

I'm unsure if you're taking the mickey ...... but ...... having seen the kinda stuff you play, I guess you might not be. Cool band BTW yours is.

I like 'em anyway and redheads rock.

That's part of the problem with Rush now, it's so 'big' a show that they probably can't get their heads round the concept of popping in a studio with minimal kit and knocking some songs out.
[/quote]
They seem to manage perfectly OK when they did exactly that on the Colbert Report a few years ago.

It's far more likely that they've never been on because of the BBCs (& most other broadcasters) incredibly sneery, snobby attitude towards "classic" rock (for want of a better term) & heavy metal in general.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1369920877' post='2094469']
They seem to manage perfectly OK when they did exactly that on the Colbert Report a few years ago.

It's far more likely that they've never been on because of the BBCs (& most other broadcasters) incredibly sneery, snobby attitude towards "classic" rock (for want of a better term) & heavy metal in general.
[/quote]

They've had Metallica on a couple of times.

I watched Deap Vally from side stage recently while teching for their support band. I reckon they're the real deal - great riffs, good harmonies, MASSIVE guitar sound and some good tunes (that don't all sound the same - can be tricky in a two piece)