Why become a member? ×

Band name help

DogHammer

We have played our first gig, under the name of 'Digger Party' on the poster (terrible name, drummers idea), but pre-decided that the band name is actually 'Black Shirt Friday' so I announced us as that on the night.

My drummer is adamant the the name 'Black Shirt Friday' is fascist and is intent that we need to change it.

So any help would be appreciated. We are really struggling to all settle on a name that we all like.
I came up with black shirt friday, when our singer said to me 'Im going to wear a black shirt on friday' one time.

We are a Rock, funk, indie ish kind of outfit. Any suggestions considered, and If we use a name that is mentioned I will reward you with a Snickers Bar, and maybe some old bass books I don't want anymore.

The Blackshirts were Italian fascist paramilitaries... so not the best choice of name. Unless of course you [i]are[/i] a fascist paramilitary, in which case it's pretty much perfect.

Choosing a band name is such a personal thing, I wouldn't personally throw it open to suggestions from others (not even from a high class establishment like Basschat ;)). I mean, you might as well just hurl some poop against a wall and see if it sticks in the shape of some letters, or something. A bit like alphabet spaghetti. But with poop. Best leave that idea alone, me thinks...

Maybe try stealing a line from a film or song that you like. It's worked for plenty of other bands. List here:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bands_named_after_other_performers%27_songs"]http://en.wikipedia....ormers%27_songs[/url]

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1369749430' post='2092271']
Hmmm I like that Idea. Just nick it from a film or song. But then again I like the throw the poop at a wall Idea too....
[/quote]

There's been several threads requesting band names - might be worth checking out some of those ideas.

I'm looking for a name for my band too. It seems that 99% of the names that you think up have already been taken by another band and the names that aren't are vetoed by the rest of band members...it's a thankless task.

As mentioned previously look at favourite films, authors, newspapers, song titles, lyrics, magazine articles, etc. for inspiration. You never know where the next idea might come from. Keep an ear out for someone saying something off the cuff - like Black Shirts - second time lucky perhaps.

Right, I'm off to try and think of name for our band...

oh, oh, Black Star Riders ...bet that's never been used....

[size=1]...bugger[/size]

:)

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1369749430' post='2092271']
Hmmm I like that Idea. Just nick it from a film or song. But then again I like the throw the poop at a wall Idea too....
[/quote]

'Throw the Poop'. One new band name, free of charge.

Oh, I see you're in Oxfordshire as well....kindly keep away from my walls when throwing poop!

Whatever is wrong with the good old [b]Blue Collar Friday[/b]?
It's not as if we're all suddenly allowed to wear casual white stuff on Fridays, is it? Or how was that again?

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor