Why become a member? ×

Gig Etiquette

DogHammer

In that case it's probably safe to assume that's why you've been told to take your own backline -- because they don't want you using theirs. Like you say, take a DI box anyway just in case (although obviously any decent in-house PA worth their salt will have about a million of the things to hand).
It also gives you a bit of moral high ground, in that if it does turn out that you're suddenly being expected to provide amps, you can say "Hold on, I was told I couldn't use your gear so what makes you think you can automatically use mine..?".
Whatever happens, play well :)
Woof.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1369834042' post='2093212']
I think that`s the main problem Ben, it`s unlikely amps will blow at regular gig volumes, but having drinks placed on them is an accident waiting to happen.
[/quote]
I've had a sax player leave his drink (thankfully only bottled water) on top of my guitar amp. I politely asked him to remove it. I wonder what he'd have thought if, instead, I'd shoved it into the end of his sax!

I always try and make a point of asking the other bands/organisers what gear I need to bring. And even after the gear is sorted I double check with the bassist that it's cool.
I have had a few bass players just walk upto my gear without asking ANYONE if it was ok to use (at which time I take my head off stage and watch the panic happen). I unplug my head from which ever cab is there and from the mains.

If people don't talk then how do they expect things to happen.
I'd take your own kit and if they told you you couldn't use theirs, - they MUST be bringing their backline, then
I would be breaking my stuff down off stage and into the car.
If that means you have to leave the gig early, then so be it....
but at least you aren't dependant on anyone...

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1385399160' post='2287760']
Bumping this thread.

I've got a gig in a few hours but am in a dicey situation. We're first on and then the 'headline' band. The headline band are providing the drum kit which we've been told about. The amp situation though... I've been told 'Bring guitar amps and bass amp'. This makes it sound like we're providing all the amps unless I'm just being paranoid.

I haven't been asked by the other band or promoter if I'm okay about lending my gear out. I really don't want to feel like an arse and tell them sod off because no prior arrangement was made. Would it be worth taking a chance and just bring my DI box in case this happens? The venue has a great FOH and good monitors. Thanks.
[/quote]

I'd bring my amp, play, and take it with me.

If they expected to use your amp:
"oh, you wanted to use it? I was not told and I cannot stay, I'm sorry, as I have a rehearsal with another band, for which I need my amp... I'd have let you know but nobody asked me. I'm really sorry, but there's nothing I can do"

So... how did it go?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1385413235' post='2288053']
If people don't talk then how do they expect things to happen.
I'd take your own kit and if they told you you couldn't use theirs, - they MUST be bringing their backline, then
I would be breaking my stuff down off stage and into the car.
If that means you have to leave the gig early, then so be it....
but at least you aren't dependant on anyone...
[/quote]

that's pretty much my attitude.

Unless it's a gig that we are organising and clearly the hosts, in which case I set up my amp and let others use it (we choose who we invite too), in a multi band situation, I bring my little Markbass which I use as monitor and DI to the mains, and take it out with me. If I need bigger volume I bring the BF cab as well, and it goes with me when I'm done. It takes me all of 5 minutes to set up, less than the drummer needs to set up his cymbals.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1385464716' post='2288492']
It takes me all of 5 minutes to set up, less than the drummer needs to set up his cymbals.
[/quote]

Exactly. I'm pretty easy about gear sharing but I always take my own stuff anyway so that I have everything covered and I'm not dependent on anyone else. If it turns out I can use other gear then I just leave mine in the car.

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1370378324' post='2100103']

He would have been wearing his bass as a hat had it been my amp!

Lots of horror stories makes me lol
[/quote]

:D

In all seriousness; His bass would have been wearing him as a headstock cover! X( (hopefully his bass was a 2 + 2 that got wider at the top rather than pointy)

Been in various situations over the past too many to mention.

Now days I always tend to take my amp, use it for soundcheck and take it off until we play. No one has asked to use it since I started doing this but I wouldn't have a problem if someone did ask to borrow it, baring in mind of they came and spoke to me at least before we'd soundcheck. Even then it would be under the pretense that if you break it you pay for it.

Then again, I can lug all my stuff on and off stage in one go.

I've done gigs where the headline act used our amps & drums usually with no problem.
However i did have a 15" speaker blown by a certain Norman Watt Roy during a Wilco gig at Fibbers in York some years back.
Guess who paid for a new speaker ?
You guessed it i did.

Edited by artisan

Even if someone asks, sometimes I won't let them. If someone seems trustworthy then by all means I don't mind them using my stuff, but if someone rocks up and seems reckless they won't be using my equipment. If anyone is blowing my amp up, it'll be me, not anyone else.

I make sure my amp is usable only by me, secret settings etc. :-)

I don't lend, generally. I would to friends, to people I trust and know respect and appreciate nice gear. But unfortunately, lots of people don't care about their own gear let alone mine! One of my bands guitarists had their amp damaged by someone balancing a pint on top, so I don't chance it.

I only lend if it's by prior arrangement and the band sound professional. I've had too many bad experiences to lend to just anyone, including a bloiwn Ampeg SVT CL thanks to a bloke who used my amp without even asking. When told that he would be paying for the damage he whined that he was on the dole. Ever since I've taken the fuse out of my amp when not in use - just removing the kettle lead is not enough, as there's normally a spare that a determined amp ponce can rustle up.

Edited by chriswareham

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1369394248' post='2088662']
At the gig on Wednesday, we were on first, out of a total of 3 bands.

I brought my Mark Bass Combo to use, DI out to the house PA too.

We did our soundcheck, and then the next band went on to do theirs, and straight away the bassist plugged into my amp and soundchecked with it. Same with the 3rd band.

Now I don't mind lending the amp out at a gig, as ever, help a fellow bassist in need but I didn't get any 'Oh can I use your amp' or anything like that. Just rock up and use it no questions.

I did make the point of going up and saying 'Oh you using my amp are you' and change any of the settings at your peril.

Am I being a bit tight and funny? or should I have been consulted?
[/quote]

Damn right they should have asked. It may have been an idea to politely say it was going to be packed away after your set.

That said, I regularly host a jam night and lend out a very good sounding Squier P bass to those who turn up without one. When plugging anyone in, I tell them the amp is set as it needs to be. That has always worked. If it stops working, I will put the head on a table behind the two bass cabs. I may bring a second bass for my own use, though the Squier is fine.

I once supported a 60's Merseyside chart act and their bassist - ex Eurythmics, apparently) politely said he'd like to use my rig (then 2x TE 715's). The mix was good overall and I told him the rig was set right. He cranked it up after a few songs so the gain light was constantly on and then flipped the volume up a lot. It drowned out the rest of the band. I had no difficulties in walking onstage and re-setting the volumes mid-song. He was as angry as hell, but I said his amp was still in his car if he wanted to play silly buggers.

Another support slot saw a 70's two hit wonder band ruin our guitarist's Fender Twin reverb by setting it to 'stun'. Their bassist used his own rig.

If someone wanted to use my rig, I'd say "do you know about gainstaging" ?

If they said yes, I'd say "yes, go ahead please set it up for me"

Yep, you've gotta ask, the only shared gigs I've done in the last few years had 15min slots to change drums and amps, the band had to have everything ready with an up ramp and a down ramp, so it's not been an issue for me.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1385799515' post='2292239']
If someone wanted to use my rig, I'd say "do you know about gainstaging" ?

If they said yes, I'd say "yes, go ahead please set it up for me"

Yep, you've gotta ask, the only shared gigs I've done in the last few years had 15min slots to change drums and amps, the band had to have everything ready with an up ramp and a down ramp, so it's not been an issue for me.
[/quote]

What's gainstaging?? I need to be prepared in case I ever get asked!

Edit: just googled it. Yes, of course I know how to do that, just never heard the term

Edited by Roland Rock

• 2 months later...

You're gonna love this.....

We are playing support to a long standing pro band at a charity gig next month (we're playing for free) and I've just been asked which amp I'm going to be using.
Why?
Turns out that the pro bass player wants to use my rig so he doesn't have to bring his all of 50miles to the gig.
This pro band, I discovered, are being paid £550 "expenses".
Can you guess my answer?

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1393346145' post='2379056']
You're gonna love this.....

We are playing support to a long standing pro band at a charity gig next month (we're playing for free) and I've just been asked which amp I'm going to be using.
Why?
Turns out that the pro bass player wants to use my rig so he doesn't have to bring his all of 50miles to the gig.
Can you guess my answer?
[/quote]

I'm guessing you said

"I'll take whataver rig you'd like me to, and if I don't own that gear, I'll rent it for the occasion, as it's such a privilege to have you play through my amplifiers. Oh, and by the way, what's your favourite beverage? Just so that I make sure I have a crate ready just for you, darling"

... or something like that?

:P

No problem with them getting the exes..just wondered why he couldn't ask you himself..?
and if he can't be bothered with that, he really should be expecting to bring his own.

If you don't like the deal... I would be saying that the bass amp isn't going to be able to stay for the duration of the gig for whatever reason you care to come up with.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1393346145' post='2379056']
Can you guess my answer?
[/quote]

In that case: "MiBass £550" maybe? :D

(...if not, you could always mention the Carlsbro Stingray.)

Edited by BassTractor

Last time I was asked, I simply said 'But I've just put my amp and cab back in the car', in a manner that suggested here was no way it was coming out of the car until I reached home. On the one occasion I have been expected to play through someone else's amp and cab, it was so bad that couldn't hear anything I played.

Since I posted this, I had a headline gig a few weeks ago, where I allowed the use of my MarkBass 151P Combo for a band before us.

When I went on to play, the levels were all over the place, mids right up, highs right up, Gain ramped up above the volume. I reset back to my preferred settings, and during our last song the amp cut out. Turned it off and on again and it was fine. Next band practice and its cutting out constantly. Its now with an amp tech for repair.

I will never ever be lending out equipment again! Will teach me for being generous and hospitable.