Why become a member? ×

Gig Etiquette

DogHammer

At the gig on Wednesday, we were on first, out of a total of 3 bands.

I brought my Mark Bass Combo to use, DI out to the house PA too.

We did our soundcheck, and then the next band went on to do theirs, and straight away the bassist plugged into my amp and soundchecked with it. Same with the 3rd band.

Now I don't mind lending the amp out at a gig, as ever, help a fellow bassist in need but I didn't get any 'Oh can I use your amp' or anything like that. Just rock up and use it no questions.

I did make the point of going up and saying 'Oh you using my amp are you' and change any of the settings at your peril.

Am I being a bit tight and funny? or should I have been consulted?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1369394449' post='2088666']
You're not being tight at all, I would've told them no :lol:

Course, I usually unplug at the wall to stop anyone messing around with it anyway :D
[/quote]

Yeah but then, am I the a-hole who stops the next band playing because their bassist doesn't have an amp?

I think next time I may unplug and take the cable with me.... Oh actually come to think of it, he used my jack cable that was there too. I should take that away too next time.

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1369394626' post='2088669']
Yeah but then, am I the a-hole who stops the next band playing because their bassist doesn't have an amp?

I think next time I may unplug and take the cable with me.... Oh actually come to think of it, he used my jack cable that was there too. I should take that away too next time.
[/quote]

Ask yourself, why don't they have there amp with them? Are they assuming someone will lend their rig (which cost them money) for free? Sod that...

If they want to rent it off of me I might consider that... MAYBE! But they still wouldn't be allowed to touch the controls. I'm not being an a*hole I'm protecting my gear :)

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1369394739' post='2088671']
[sub][size=6]I have no problem with folk using my gear, but as was said, bloody ask first. That sounds like a case of taking the p*sh! Im surprised the bands who were supposedly "headlining" didnt have their own gear anyway![/size][/sub]
[/quote]

This, and yeah, if I was on first, on a weeknight, and they expected me to stay all night while they use my amp, they can either ask, or be very very quiet in the bass frequencies.*
:)

*because I would have gone home with my amp, for the hard of thinking :)

Your defo not being funny, you should have been consulted. It's either as you say, bad gig etiquette or if the other bass players weren't told they needed their own amps, bad organisation. Like Dan said, maybe they thought it was provided ?

I don't do many multi band gigs but I have one coming up at a beer festival and I have been told in advance that I need my backline, but PA is provided. So there's no confusion, but as we're first on I'm going to try and get hold of the bass player on last and ask if I can use his rig, but I wouldn't dream of just assuming I can. If I was the last band on I would have no problem offering my rig, it just seems to make sense.

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1369394248' post='2088662']
Am I being a bit tight and funny? or should I have been consulted?
[/quote]

No and yes respectively. As others have said, if they were inexperienced they may just have assumed it was the house rig. If not, they need to sort their manners and attitudes out!

I will normally let others use my gear if they ask, but if they didn't ask I would stop them and remove my gear from the stage. If they haven't bothered to bring their own - that's their problem. I would also take a look at the organisers too, who should have made the situation known to all bands beforehand! :angry:

if you are going to a gig, you always take an amp unless you have prearranged with the house or other bands that you will be using their gear. showing up without your gear and expecting people to lend is unacceptable.

i will happily lend my cab to people if they have asked me before hand, and at a push, my amp if they are known to me

i did a gig once on tour where we headed up north, we lugged all our stuff up the country, then one of the bands who lived 5 minutes away sad he didn't own an amp. the promoter wasn't happy, but i insisted they run him through the PA. one of the other shows we did on the tour i caught the other band playing through it without having approached me at any point, and he was playing it so hard it was peaking solidly (i have since had to have it repaired due to potential damage caused by this).

i hate being the one who sounds like an arse, but I paid a lot of money for my gear, and if i have to replace it, i can't afford to. if i make the effort to either bring my rig, or arrange with others before hand, why cant others, its just courtesy

I think you're well within your rights - I try not to be a dick, but I do expect to be asked. To be fair, the last time I called someone up on it, I'd actually taken my amp offstage after our set, and two bands later, the guy had hauled it back onstage without even bothering to come and find me.

If he'd asked, then of course I'd have let him borrow it. It's just the principle!

From the opposite perspective, I've found the best way to avoid any embarrassment is to ask the soundguy, who will happily tell you whether it's the house rig or somebody else's...or whether it's *shudder* DI only...

Unless it's something you've agreed to beforehand, turning up to a gig without your amp is no different to going to work without putting your trousers on.

I'm not taking my trousers off and lending them to someone else because they couldn't be ar*ed to get themselves prepared. :)

After many years off letting anyone play through my gear, I think I've finally hit that point where I might not any more.

As others have said, if my stuff gets bust, I can't afford to replace it, and why should I? If I can take care of it, surely they can? I've seen too many people just pull leads in or out without muting or standby etc.

Had a cab blow once, but didn't find out till I got it home :(

I feel like a @rse being that guy who says no though :(

As has been mentioned above; they possibly assumed it was the venue's gear. I've made that mistake myself and plugged in to the amp on stage only to be told by the other bass player that it was his amp. I apologised of course just as the engineer was returning to the stage with the venue's combo - an ancient Carlsbro thing! Needless to say I take my own gear to gigs now! :)

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1369398657' post='2088750']
I'll happily share my rig if sensible people ask in advance.
The crap attitude of turning up on the day with just a bass and hoping for the best deserves a lesson being taught.
[/quote]

this

if the promoter/organiser/FOH says they advised ALL bands that they needed to bring (preferrably DI-able) backline gear then i would consider it but only on how polite the would be users wanted to be about it

just rocking up and plugging in might suggest that the organiser may have told everybody else (apart from yourself being first on of course) that there would be backline bass available (ie YOURS!!) :D

sounds like you just need to figure out exactly who is taking liberties and administer the low end bee lesson :lol:

Edited by steve-bbb

Guest bassman7755

When Ive been in this position I've actively sought out the bassists in the other bands and clarified whether they want/expect to use my gear, then made sure they follow certain rules when using it e.g. only plugging/unplugging from the amp end of the lead and ensuring that they are aware they had 1.5 kw on tap.

In all cases I was more than happy for people to use it and to give less financially fortunate/ younger players often their first crack with top rank gear.

Also its a good opportunity to find out what your rig sounds like from a audience perspective.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1369399188' post='2088760']

In all cases I was more than happy for people to use it and to give less financially fortunate/ younger players often their first crack with top rank gear.

Also its a good opportunity to find out what your rig sounds like from a audience perspective.
[/quote]

very good point

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1369394626' post='2088669']
[/quote]
The a-hole is the moron who turns up for a gig without an amp, not you.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1369399160' post='2088758']
this

if the promoter/organiser/FOH says they advised ALL bands that they needed to bring (preferrably DI-able) backline gear then i would consider it but only on how polite the would be users wanted to be about it

just rocking up and plugging in might suggest that the organiser may have told everybody else (apart from yourself being first on of course) that there would be backline bass available (ie YOURS!!) :D

sounds like you just need to figure out exactly who is taking liberties and administer the low end bee lesson :lol:
[/quote]

Here's one from a couple of years ago:
Promoter emails saying he has bass combo available but to get if the bands want to use their own or share great. Sort it out amongst yourselves.
I email saying I'd like to use my small TC rig as it sounds good in the venue and if anyone would like to share it let me know beforehand as I'm happy for them to use it as long as they're careful with it.
No emails back.
I email again asking if they're sure.
No emails back.
On the night we soundcheck first as we're going on last. I unplug the kettle lead and take it with me as I know what is about to happen. It does.
Two bass players have learned lessons and had to hump a 4000lb ancient and abused Trace combo from the basement store room that cuts out intermittently during both their sets.