Why become a member? ×

cheap looking things which actually turned out to be alright

tonyquipment

I've toyed with getting the Vox one and may well get one if they're pretty good, do they have an aux in like the flanger one in the OP?
Another fan of the BDI21 here, got two of them, one for 'my sound' and another as an overdrive, I also have the acoustic version for my EUB.

In my experience, you should avoid the Vox headphone amp for bass like the plague. I remember even starting a thread about how disappointed I was with it.
I've moved to an [sfx] unit now, which I use when I'm not playing with another killer contraption (a Rolls Personal Monitor Station) kindly provided by Happy Jack for me to test, and which so far I've intentionally never found the opportunity to return to him :D :rolleyes: [Although we're going off-topic with the latter, as it certainly can't be described as "cheap" or even "cheap-looking".]

I would nominate my squire vintage modified precision, a white / black/ rosewood one made in Indonesia

I paid £80 on eBay as a parts/not working item. It took about 30 mins to fix the issue and clean it up. It was absolutely f£&:()ing superb

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1368383666' post='2076390']
I've toyed with getting the Vox one and may well get one if they're pretty good, do they have an aux in like the flanger one in the OP?
[/quote]

Yes, I use it for playing along to stuff on my laptop when everyone's gone to bed. I've heard some negative comments like Bluejays, but I can only say I wasn't expecting massively hi-fi quality sound, so I wasn't disappointed. I mean - it's a battery-powered 'doofer' that allows you to practise at zero volume, it's cheap, takes up no room on my coffee table, and is there for whenever I get the urge to play my Bass, so it does it's job perfectly for me. I might have been one of the lucky ones, but it sounds like "my Bass" if you know what I mean? B)

Getting a bit OT, but I've got one of the Vox headphone amps, and it does the job very well. Like BigAl says, it's not superior, crystal clear sound quality, and the overdrive sound is a bit pointless IMO. However, it does a decent job, is compact, easy to use and means you can practice without annoying the neighbours or waking up the kids. The Aux input works just fine, too. Battery life isn't too bad - I would say I get at least 20-25 hours use out of a pair of AAA's.

Looks awfully like the unit in the original post as well...

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1368392730' post='2076600']
I would nominate my squire vintage modified precision, a white / black/ rosewood one made in Indonesia

I paid £80 on eBay as a parts/not working item. It took about 30 mins to fix the issue and clean it up. It was absolutely f£&:()ing superb
[/quote]

Exactly the same one I have, I had no idea how good it was until I played a few other basses

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1368443095' post='2077009']
Exactly the same one I have, I had no idea how good it was until I played a few other basses
[/quote]
Instruments that are mass produced in the far east over the last decade or so are of a surprisingly good quality in my experience....often it's hard to tell the difference between them and their much more expensive counterparts that are built in the USA (or wherever).