Why become a member? ×

Why do you want to know what gear your heroes use?

xilddx

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367945154' post='2071396']
Maybe, C**tyb******s, but the guy who sold Jaco his #1 Jazz categorically states* that the woolly-hatted one rammed two whole packs of Golden Grahams up the truss rod channel to improve tuning stability.

[size=2]* See page 92 of '1001 facts about Jaco's gear that'll make you gouge your own eyes out' (Random House)[/size]

[/quote]

Well Mr Ringjob, I saw Jaco down the King's Bellend last week and he quietly told me he made that sh*t up because the '80s were not very LGBT friendly. Golden Graham was actually his 'friend', and Jaco stuffed his trussrod up GG's channel to improve his emotional stability.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1367946010' post='2071421']
Well Mr Ringjob ...
[/quote]

Outing dead people who can't answer back is the lowest of the low, Senor ScatChops.

In any event, gearstalking is a damn sight more interesting when the muso in question has worked his or her way through a bit of kit. I mean, Jamerson is just a complete dead-end. Same bass, same strings (the same [i]actual[/i] strings, IIRC). Recording amp = box on the wall.

End of.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367946704' post='2071435']
Jamerson is just a complete dead-end. Same bass, same strings (the same [i]actual[/i] strings, IIRC). Recording amp = box on the wall. [size=4]End of.[/size]
[/quote]

Yes, he changed his strings just the once and that was it. So if you want 'that' Motown tone all you need is a 60s P with La Bella flats and a B15, right? Erm... no - only Jamerson had 'the hook'. And the talent, of course. And he was in the right place at the right time.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1367945973' post='2071420']
Good examples are the Dead Kennedys albums - not the greatest tone in the world but the bass player was using a 63 (64?) Jazz!
[/quote]

He was always overshadowed by their fantastic guitarist but still the bass sounds pretty good on California Uber Alles.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367941752' post='2071299']
(yes he did, no he didn't, yes he did, IBTL, I've got pix, no, those are Fruitloops, f**k off you c**t, etc)
[/quote]

A succinct summary of many BC discussions :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never been particularly interested in the gear of people/bands I really like. if it turns out they're using the same gear as me (a rare event) then it usually just depresses me that they can make it sound so much better than I can - though I don't think it's anything to do the gear itself or the settings (well maybe 5%) and all to do with the playing (95%).

I've got some reasonable gear, but I'd bet a great player would make it sound great.

I like getting new gear as much as anyone but, if I'm really honest with myself, more practice (or more talent) is what I really need.

I am not one for obsessing about gear at all. I think there is a trend amongst players, however, that looks for the secret means by which one can achieve greatness that is not linked to hard work and practice. 'If I buy this piece of gear, I will soon be as good as Flea/Jaco/Marcus etc etc'. If I buy this book, dvd, cd, software etc, I will improve immeasurably within a matter of days.

There is only one way to greatness; a zillion hours worth of diligent, tedious, hard work. I have done about half a zillion to date so watch out, guys.... ;)

The simplest answer to this is not knowing how a certain sound/tone was created and the unknown, coupled with curiosity is quite often irresistible.

In addition to the gear, I'm also interested in what production techniques resulted in what I'm listening to. It doesn't necessarily have to be a sound I like, but if it's caught my interest, that's it!

I used to do this with synths when I had a number of analogue synths. My favourite was the Minimoog, and in addition to creating my own sounds, diligently jotting the settings down in pencil in a pad, I'd try to recreate the sounds that I'd hear in various records. You didn't have any memories to download the patch, you operated the controls and shaped the sound until you thought you had it. I had a copy of the Steve Porcaro 'Star Licks' video, and although it doesn't pertain to teach one how to play like Steve, he shows you tips to recreate some of the sounds he'd used with Toto.

For me, I`m always interested in fellow musicians gear. I have no desire to sound like any of the players I like. Basically I`m just a nosey git, but isn`t that one of the reasons that a lot of us come on here?

For the same reason that you wear your favourite football teams replica shirt when you are playing 5 a sides with your other mates :)

I really admire the players that find what they love and use it almost exclusively, like Jaco et al....but I like to do my own thing really. I cannot be bothered with players that appear in different manufacturers ads every couple of years saying that its the best they have ever played.

GAS is evil and should be avoided at all costs. (Did I mention I just picked up a new Thunderbird btw!?!?!?!)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1367945131' post='2071395']
I can quite understand it if you're in a tribute band or a particularly serious covers/function band. There is a certain satisfaction in nailing 'that' sound for [insert song name here], even though the band in question inevitably don't sound exactly like their recordings live - with a few notable exceptions! ;)

If we didn't have the 'anorak/geek' mindset we wouldn't be on a bass forum in the first place, would we?

Would we..? :unsure:

:D[size=4] :P[/size]
[/quote]

^
This

I have recently joined a Pink Floyd tribute band..... I wanted to get my sound for Sorrow right.... I could tell there was an octave pedal and knew there was compression, but being able to get confirmation of what was used directly from the person who's sound I was trying to copy was AWESOME beyond words!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1367956686' post='2071643']
I have recently joined a Pink Floyd tribute band..... I wanted to get my sound for Sorrow right.... I could tell there was an octave pedal and knew there was compression, but being able to get confirmation of what was used directly from the person who's sound I was trying to copy was AWESOME beyond words!
[/quote]

Outstanding! There's your answer, Nige. :D

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1367943305' post='2071347']
In the old days you'd go to a gig and you'd hear the backline.

The gear they used and what they sounded like meant something.

Now all you hear is a DI, so it's pretty pointless to buy the gear that your heroes use based on their FOH sound.
[/quote]

Same applied to the sound on recordings: 80% of the "tone" is what the studio engineer created with compression and EQ.

The only gear related tone elements I can pick out on recordings is fundamental stuff like single coil vs humbucking pickups.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368021105' post='2072122']
Does this gear obsession (other than the bass itself) only extend to analogue kit? If the musician was using digital modeling equipment like Axe FX, POD, Kemper, etc. would anyone give a f***?
[/quote]

Christ... can you imagine gearspotting a Kemper...

"What USB stick is he using?"
"The Red One"
"We think thats an SVT clone on that one don't we?"

:lol:

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368021105' post='2072122']
Does this gear obsession (other than the bass itself) only extend to analogue kit? If the musician was using digital modeling equipment like Axe FX, POD, Kemper, etc. would anyone give a f***?
[/quote]

Certainly. They'd want to know which bits of analogue kit the patch was modelled upon even though they'd never heard the real thing.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1368023257' post='2072160']
Certainly. They'd want to know which bits of analogue kit the patch was modelled upon even though they'd never heard the real thing.
[/quote]
:)

Unless prejudice got in the way ;)