Why become a member? ×

Why do you want to know what gear your heroes use?

xilddx

Now Guy Pratt is taking questions it seems a lot of them are about what gear he used for certain tours and recordings.

I'm interested to know why people are interested in such things. Why does it help you to know Flea used a Pedulla in 1995 or whatever?

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1367941106' post='2071277']
its all part of the BASSCHAT >>> PRATTCHAT syndrome

it will pass in a few days ;) :ph34r:
[/quote]

:)

I'm not saying it's wrong or anything, just wondering why so many are obsessed with famous players' gear, but then stop there. I'd be asking about EQ frequencies, signal chain, effects settings, etc. I'll admit I really tried to find out about Chris Squire's EQ and signal chain a couple of years ago, but a YES producer said in an interview it was a secret.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1367941022' post='2071275']
I'm interested to know why people are interested in such things.
[/quote]

Idle curiosity? A desire to know stuff so that one may draw upon said knowledge when circumstances demand?

Mayhap they heard Mr P's bass sound upon an enchanted evening and thought 'That's one [i]spicy [/i]meatball - rush me the appropriate combination within 28 days, no refunds, E&OE'.

Which would be entirely understandable, given the general Quest For Tone round here. And from who better might one elicit this intelligence than the Original Player?

Saves all those gruesome threads where - for example - people speculate about whether Jaco stuffed his control cavity with Rice Krispies (yes he did, no he didn't, yes he did, IBTL, I've got pix, no, those are Fruitloops, f**k off you c**t, etc)

Edited by skankdelvar

I assume people want to know either because they are gearheads and love the trivia, or want to get their heroes' exact tone.
The first one is fair enough, that's what rocks their boat. The second is a bit tricky; even if you get their tone (unlikely as there are so many variables, technique being a big one) will it work with your band as effectively? Unlikely IMO

Although I know what basses people like Andy Frazer, Aston Barrett or Jerry Jemmott use, it's only because I've seen their pictures etc.
I have no desire to find out their setup in detail. I enjoy listening to them, then pick up my bass and do my own thing.

Edited by Roland Rock

There are quite likely a huge number of reasons, Nige.

Largely, it will be for learning - though to what end, I leave open. Many people learn from experience - they like to try things, or experience them in some way, to get a sense of how they work; and, for us bassists, talking about gear gives us a chance to emulate that. All the way from scrutineering rigs at gigs, to talking about it here, it's a way of learning and putting that learning into context.

So, if you just want to know what works - or want to know how your heroes nail their sound - people will talk gear :)

I think that drives me. I want to know how it all works. I'm unlikely to lay hands on all the kit I would like, in the flesh, to give it a try, so I ask or search - and it gives me a reference, I can relate what I know to what I hear, and get a sense of how it works.

Probably an over-engineered answer. I should have just said: f*** it, I'm like a magpie. I like shiny things ;)

I'll add in the curious; the pub quiz trivia; etc.

In the old days you'd go to a gig and you'd hear the backline.

The gear they used and what they sounded like meant something.

Now all you hear is a DI, so it's pretty pointless to buy the gear that your heroes use based on their FOH sound.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1367943305' post='2071347']
In the old days you'd go to a gig and you'd hear the backline.

The gear they used and what they sounded like meant something.

Now all you hear is a DI, so it's pretty pointless to buy the gear that your heroes use based on their FOH sound.
[/quote]

Could you be proposing a new trend, chris_b, in [i]soundesk spotting? :lol:[/i]

I've never really thought about what gear my favourite players used, unless they had an attractive bass and I wanted to know what it was because I wanted one that looked like it. That's why I bought a Thumb bass. Not because I wanted to sound like Norwood, I just wanted to look like Norwood. :D

What's funny about these gear-related enquiries is the answer is nearly always 'a Fender into whatever was available'. I don't think most influential players paid too much attention to their gear, they were too busy making music.

I'm interested when I see a gig or video what guys are using, but not really bothered finding out anything more, perhaps then odd effect question if I'm trying to emulate a line , but most covers I do don't rely on effects.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1367943806' post='2071361']
[b]I've never really thought about what gear my favourite players used, unless they had an attractive bass and I wanted to know what it was because I wanted one that looked like it. That's why I bought a Thumb bass. Not because I wanted to sound like Norwood, I just wanted to look like Norwood.[/b] :D

What's funny about these gear-related enquiries is the answer is nearly always 'a Fender into whatever was available'. I don't think most influential players paid too much attention to their gear, they were too busy making music.
[/quote]

Yeh, that's me as well :D But not really any more <_<

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1367941752' post='2071299']
Idle curiosity? A desire to know stuff so that one may draw upon said knowledge when circumstances demand?

Mayhap they heard Mr P's bass sound upon an enchanted evening and thought 'That's one [i]spicy [/i]meatball - rush me the appropriate combination within 28 days, no refunds, E&OE'.

Which would be entirely understandable, given the general Quest For Tone round here. And from who better might one elicit this intelligence than the Original Player?

Saves all those gruesome threads where - for example - people speculate about whether Jaco stuffed his control cavity with Rice Krispies (yes he did, no he didn't, yes he did, IBTL, I've got pix, no, those are Fruitloops, f**k off you c**t, etc)
[/quote]

:lol:

It was Golden Nuggets you fackin mappit.

It` a funny one this, for me it`s so I can establish what made all those sounds that I love on all my fave records/tracks. And then, after buying that very same equipment, deliberately set it up to not have those sounds, as inevitably those sounds are trebley and cutting through the mix, and I`m far more a deep/in the pocket type player, laying down a foundation for the lead instruments.

Edited by Lozz196

I can quite understand it if you're in a tribute band or a particularly serious covers/function band. There is a certain satisfaction in nailing 'that' sound for [insert song name here], even though the band in question inevitably don't sound exactly like their recordings live - with a few notable exceptions! ;)

If we didn't have the 'anorak/geek' mindset we wouldn't be on a bass forum in the first place, would we?

Would we..? :unsure:

:D[size=4] :P[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1367944744' post='2071384']
It was Golden Nuggets you fackin mappit.
[/quote]

Maybe, C**tyb******s, but the guy who sold Jaco his #1 Jazz categorically states* that the woolly-hatted one rammed two whole packs of Golden Grahams up the truss rod channel to improve tuning stability.

[size=2]* See page 92 of '1001 facts about Jaco's gear that'll make you gouge your own eyes out' (Random House)[/size]

I think that players certainly do care about what kit they are using...
I had a chat with one relatively recently and he knew tone INSIDE out.

If you don't have a great sound, you wont get the gig at the level they are playing
and also you can have engrs and techs spend hours and days on their kit should they need it.

They may plug into whatever is available but they will certainly unliug pdq if it doesn't work..

Makes me laugh this what gear did your idol use business. Most the time it's how the bass is played (and more importantly) what desk/DI box you went through when recording.

Good examples are the Dead Kennedys albums - not the greatest tone in the world but the bass player was using a 63 (64?) Jazz!