Why become a member? ×

You (Generally) lovely people.

douggie

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1368396461' post='2076669']
Water under the bridge, eh?
Is that why the thread title clearly suggests Kiwi is not lovely?
Is that why you feel the need to repeat your oversensitive response to an interwebs remark?
Is that why you feel the need to use constructs like "well within my rights" and "to the point of slander"?

Well, I don't buy it.
You could simply have said: "Kiwi, mate, I don't know what happened, but as far as I can remember, I've never done what you think I've done."
We all know what you opted for instead. The pressure on Kiwi must have been enormous.

Myself having been on the receiving end of similar, potentially income threatening remarks, I surely think I understand your feelings. They can however be dealt with in vastly better ways.

best,
bert
[/quote]

How nice somebody is is completely subjective though. I like Kiwi, and plenty of members on here, but i'm sure there are plenty of members who don't like all the members I do, for whatever reasons. You can't really have a go at him for not taking a shine to somebody who apparently called him a racist. Kiwi is a smart man, and entitled to his own thoughts, like us all. I don't know what happened there, maybe Kiwi was having a rough day, hey, we've all been there, and done things we've regretted too, but what Kiwi says carries a bit more weight than most on here, him being half the force that runs this site. We wouldn't get away with calling somebody a racist, especially not a famous bassist. As far as i'm concerned, Guy is willing to let it go, Kiwi has made an apology (of sorts). It was a regretful thing to happen, but the comment has been retracted, Guy isn't going to take it further (as far as we know) and that should be that. If it's not an issue anymore, we should just let it go, and put it down as an unfortunate incident.

I was wondering why on earth some newbie had been getting so much attention in his introduction thread, and why for days I kept seeing it in "new content".

Bit like how I used to be in a band with Justin Hawkins (yes, that one) but didnt realise it was him in The Darkness until about a year into their massive rise to fame with that first album I don't own. Admitedly he used to have awesome dreadlocks which sort of threw me off the scent. I never got round to putting that story in the tenuous link to fame thread.

So poor old Guy didnt stand much of a chance eh. Welcome :)

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1368413358' post='2076784']
I was wondering why on earth some newbie had been getting so much attention in his introduction thread, and why for days I kept seeing it in "new content".

Bit like how I used to be in a band with Justin Hawkins (yes, that one) but didnt realise it was him in The Darkness until about a year into their massive rise to fame with that first album I don't own. Admitedly he used to have awesome dreadlocks which sort of threw me off the scent. I never got round to putting that story in the tenuous link to fame thread.

So poor old Guy didnt stand much of a chance eh. Welcome :)
[/quote]

Ha!

Well, Liam Neeson went to my school. SUCK ON THAT! :D (Although, he went about 40 years before me, then visited the year after I left! :angry: )

Is that why you feel the need to repeat your oversensitive response to an interwebs remark?
Is that why you feel the need to use constructs like "well within my rights" and "to the point of slander"?

Well, I don't buy it.
You could simply have said: "Kiwi, mate, I don't know what happened, but as far as I can remember, I've never done what you think I've done."
We all know what you opted for instead. The pressure on Kiwi must have been enormous.

Myself having been on the receiving end of similar, potentially income threatening remarks, I surely think I understand your feelings. They can however be dealt with in vastly better ways.

best,
bert
[/quote]

Hi Bert,
While I appreciate that you're trying to fight Kiwis corner for him the best thing that can possibly happen now is that this saga comes to an end.

What most people don't realise is that as soon as you become a mod or admin you have to watch every word you say with extra care. These days posts take me easily twice the time to construct because I have to read them back, edit them until I'm sure that no offence can come of it. You also have to consider what direction a comment that you make is going to take a thread which is much more difficult.

For example :
While I understand that this post is likely to generate further responses on a subject that we would prefer to come to an end. I also hope that it will take the conversation on an ultimately more pleasant path than it usually takes.

I'm asking that this subject can come to an end, it's not good on the site, it can't be pleasant for guy, I know its not pleasant for kiwi and that in fact it's not good for me or the rest of the team.

We've got a well established bassist here, one with a wealth of experience that he seems willing to share. Lets focus on the positives and try not to hound him too much eh B)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1368423311' post='2076794']
We've got a well established bassist here, one with a wealth of experience that he seems willing to share. Lets focus on the positives and try not to hound him too much eh B)
[/quote]

Yeah, leave me alone guys, quit hounding me :D :P ;)

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Water under the bridge, eh?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Is that why the thread title clearly suggests Kiwi is not lovely?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Is that why you feel the need to repeat your oversensitive response to an interwebs remark?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Is that why you feel the need to use constructs like "well within my rights" and "to the point of slander"?[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Well, I don't buy it.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]You could simply have said: "Kiwi, mate, I don't know what happened, but as far as I can remember, I've never done what you think I've done."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Really? He repeatedly stated that I used racist stereotypes during a show. This is completely untrue and yes slanderous. He tried to get out of it by saying it was my misunderstanding, all he had to do was say[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]"Guy, mate, I don't know what happened, but as far as I can remember, you've never done what I said you'd done."[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]But he didn't. He kept digging and made out that it was me that was at fault. And now you've brought it up again.[/size][/font][/color]

Thanks Bert.

I doubt i'll be coming back now.

Edited by douggie

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Well done. A vast resource for members, young players, gear-heads and fans ruined. The row was over, done and dealt with and Guy was still big enough to post.[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]We've just made ourselves look amateur beyond belief.[/color][/font]

Having read the book and seen a Youtube of the same story...I saw no racism, unless you count rich popstar Noorrff Laandeners as a distinct ethnic minority.

Now can we get on to the important stuff - would Guy ever consider putting the original (re-wound?) pickups back into Betsy? What did Womack and Co do with his monster Trace Elliot rig? Would he ever want it back anyway? Why use a Framus...there must be much better options for an Electric upright these days?

Were you guys this upset when when non-famous members decided to not return? Haven't seen Evil Undead around for a while, have you?

He's a big boy. If he decides it worth sticking around, he will. If he decides it's not worth it, he won't return. It's his prerogative.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368434007' post='2076887']
Were you guys this upset when when non-famous members decided to not return? Haven't seen Evil Undead around for a while, have you?

He's a big boy. If he decides it worth sticking around, he will. If he decides it's not worth it, he won't return. It's his prerogative.
[/quote]

Actually we see are fair amount "where is..." type threads :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368434253' post='2076890']
Usually for regular contributors though.
[/quote]

To be fair, there are seventeen gazillion members - you're generally only going to notice those who are regulars or have a profile for some other reason.

It would be a shame if GP were to close the door on BC. I wouldn't blame him, though.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1368432952' post='2076868']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Well done. A vast resource for members, young players, gear-heads and fans ruined. The row was over, done and dealt with and Guy was still big enough to post.[/font][/color]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]We've just made ourselves look amateur beyond belief.[/color][/font]
[/quote]

Hmmm. 39 posts in 3 /12 years. what are you expecting?

If Guy wants to leave or keep quiet that's his choice, dont go blaming me for him not hanging around and certainly not for looking amateur ;-)

I agree with the poster that pointed out about the title of this thread, although i personally have no issues with it or Guy.

I dont blame him for leaving but that's his choice.

I took great exception to something Kiwi said a couple of weeks back regarding Margaret Thatcher. His opinion came over as fact and it was extremely biased. In my eyes some of his comment was very offensive. I was even more annoyed because of his position. Moved on, didn't comment simply because I would have lost the plot with the way he put himself over in the thread. Like many others I missed the original controversy regarding him and Guy(and have spent hours looking for it! lol)
Guy is an inspiration to a huge amount of us and frankly for those of us who are admirers, our own bed has been sh*t in.
Really, personal attacks at any level are pretty pathetic, but we have to accept with so many people here, some are going to hide behind a wall and throw bangers over it.
Sad. I hope Guy comes back and can contribute whatever time he can spare. I know I would not be alone in being grateful for that.
Threadkiller Karl.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1368433528' post='2076875']
Having read the book and seen a Youtube of the same story...I saw no racism, unless you count rich popstar Noorrff Laandeners as a distinct ethnic minority.

Now can we get on to the important stuff - would Guy ever consider putting the original (re-wound?) pickups back into Betsy?
[color=#008080]No idea where they are..[/color]

What did Womack and Co do with his monster Trace Elliot rig?

[color=#008080]I just found out recently that apparently the promoter ran off with everyone's gear.. [/color]

Would he ever want it back anyway?
Yes!

Why use a Framus...there must be much better options for an Electric upright these days?

[color=#008080]Because I'd had it for 24 years...And most uprights sound too hi-fi IMHO..[/color]

[/quote]

Well, I don't buy it.

best,
bert
[/quote]

I would have had a lot more respect for you, bert, If you had raised this with GP by PM. This is old news and things were calming down. WTF did you have to start it up again for? :( I am normally a big fan of your posts, but this one? :huh:

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1368434752' post='2076894']
To be fair, there are seventeen gazillion members - you're generally only going to notice those who are regulars or have a profile for some other reason.

It would be a shame if GP were to close the door on BC. I wouldn't blame him, though.
[/quote]

Yes, but that's my point.

There are some people on this site who, to be polite, I could only describe as abrasive, but I find in general, the positives of this site outweigh whatever run-ins I have with those people. I wouldn't blame him either. It's not like he needs this site, he's done well enough without it for plenty long. I would say that anybody who is that upset about him revoking membership from himself is probably only upset because of either his status, or the information and help he could provide to people here. I don't think he's been around enough to have made many friends on here. I wouldn't want to be him in that relationship. My advice is always free, and I give it willingly, but it's a rare occasion when anybody actually asks for it. I dare say plenty would be looking Guy's advice a lot of the time.

Whether he returns or not, that's his choice, and it's fine by me. I'll not lose sleep over it.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368437997' post='2076937'] I would say that anybody who is that upset about him revoking membership from himself is probably only upset because of either his status, or the information and help he could provide to people here.
[/quote]

Of course.

How it all happened leaves a nasty taste, too. It should have been laid to rest ages ago.