Why become a member? ×

Signature guitars

Thunderbird

[size="4"]Hi all I don't know lots about basses in general but after looking online at various basses I started wondering if signature guitars were a rip off for example I saw a Flea bass on Ebay and it was 200 odd pounds new now in the advert it says the same bass as Flea uses but I cant see him using a £200 bass I might be wrong and also I saw a Steve Harris Fender it pretty much seemed the same as most other Fenders in that category except it was about 500 quid dearer so in a nutshell are star endorsed basses a rip off or are they really the same basses the artists use?[/size]

They`re usually cheaper versions made to the same spec as the instrument the artist uses. So if you`re really into a specific artist you can use an instrument that`s virtually the same as theirs.

However as we so often find out, tone is in the hands/rig/production, so getting for example a Duff McKagan bass will give an approximation, but unless you have the GK rig as well you`re only halfway there to having equipment that can generate that sound.

Plus of course, if in a tribute band, signature instruments are ideal.

Some probably are rip offs, you can for example pay a lot extra to have a lightly slimmer neck and a different pickup like your hero when in reality the manufacturer has just selected a couple of components they already make for other models and bolted 'em on.

Having said that, if that combination works perfectly for you and is your ideal bass then maybe it's all worth it. I used to avoid signature instruments but these days if it feels and sounds good I'll play anything.

It depends.

In the case of the Fleabass, he does play an instrument that looks like one live, but don't imagine that one you buy off the shelf will be comparable to one that has been built for him. It's not possible to produce an instrument at that price level with any degree of consistency.

It depends entirely on the bass...

I own a signature instrument - a Yamaha BJ 5B which is the Terry and the Blue Jeans bass. For those of you that don't know Terry and the Blue Jeans are pretty well-known Japanese surf-band, and although I like surf music they are most definitely at the cheesier end of the spectrum. However the bass is the only way of getting an SBV-shaped bass with 5-strings other than having one custom-made, which is what I was after. The signature part of the bass to me is irrelevant.

I'm also quite keen to acquire a Reverend Brad Houser bass. The man himself is of no interest to me and I haven't heard any music that he's done that I actually like. However the bass that bears his name is a fantastic instrument.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1367150941' post='2061716']
David Ellefson's model sold by Jackson is identical to the one he plays, apparently, and comes at a price. Jackson also sell a more affordable model based on his specs. (That's what Ellefson said at the London Bass Guitar Show.) I was suitably impressed and GASsing. :gas: :rolleyes: :D
[/quote]

Yeah I saw that cool bass :) he also had a sig peavey zodiac I think and that was about £300 if I am correct bet it wasn't like the one he played live tho.

Ive got the Steve Harris signature P bass and its a pretty authentic replica of the one he used in the 80s (as seen in Live After Death and Maiden England videos). He has also been using the signature model in the British Lion promo videos and recent live shows.

When his house was up for sale a couple of months ago, this bass could also be seen in one of the pictures in the estate agents particulars! :)

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1367216067' post='2062541']
To date, the best Precision I've ever played was a Lakland Bob Glaub. Fantastic instrument. As far as it being "signature", I have no idea who he is, other than that he's a session musician... I couldn't name you a single song he played on.
[/quote]
While i am familiar with the work of Bob Glaub i couldn't name one single song played on by Mike Dirnt, Mikey Way, Nate Mendel, Mark Hoppus, Tom Araya, Paz Lenchantin, Johnny Christ, Alex Webster, Mike Kroeger, Quintin Berry or Paul Gray (plus many more) who all have signature basses.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1367222905' post='2062614']
I suppose there's a few types of signature basses:

1) Exact-ish copy - Pino
2) A version re-specced for mass production - Nate Mendel
3) Something built from scratch to the artist's spec - Roscoe Beck

I can understand 3) costing a few quid, due to R&D.
[/quote]

Is there not a case for a fourth option - artist uses exactly the same model that comes out of the factory for Joe Punter?

From Gibson's website: Casady insisted that his own personal bass should be no different than any other Jack Casady Signature Bass. "Every year I get two new instruments that I take out on the road," says Casady. "No ringers. I have none that are set up a special way or anything like that and they are great."

I get the feeling this might be a rare occurrence though.

[quote name='markbunney' timestamp='1367218273' post='2062554']
Ive got the Steve Harris signature P bass and its a pretty authentic replica of the one he used in the 80s (as seen in Live After Death and Maiden England videos). He has also been using the signature model in the British Lion promo videos and recent live shows.

When his house was up for sale a couple of months ago, this bass could also be seen in one of the pictures in the estate agents particulars! :)
[/quote]

The P he used in the 80`s is still his main bass today with a different paint job. The sig is a lovely bass.