Why become a member? ×

Help me choose a light powerful combo (or cab?) - update: MarkBass CMD121

mcnach

So, here is the thing...

I already have a reasonable compromise between loudness and bulk with my TC Electronics rig (RH450 head, plus BC212 and RS210 cabs, vertically stacked). It does what I need it to do and I have never found it lacking yet.

But sometimes it would be great to have a more compact rig that can work as a great stage monitor, mostly.

Last week we played a couple of gigs in a location ideal for such compact rig: the stage was on a balcony that had to be accessed through a narrow and steep spiral staircase. I did not know it was going to be like that, but I was lucky I had chosen to take my Hartke A100, 100W 15" speaker tilt-back combo.
The Hartke did the job, but I was really pushing it hard and I could have used maybe 25% more volume. The Hartke is great because it can do the job and it's an amp I'm not too precious about, so if I have to lend someone an amp, this is the one.

However, I'm thinking I'd really love a more compact rig (than the TC). Essentially, if I could have something the size of the Hartke A100 or smaller, and louder, and good sounding... I'd want one. Ideally with tilt-back capability, but not necessary absolutely, as that can be arranged... and ideally with controls near the front so that they can be easily accessed when tilted back. But again, I can compromise there.

As it would not likely to be my main rig... I'll be choosy in two regards: size and weight. If it's really small, I can tolerate higher weight. If it's not so small, it's got to be light. But it MUST be good sounding and noticeably LOUDER than a Hartke A100.

Price?
Irrelevant.
If I find something that is really good, I will save so that I can buy it.

Can you recommend something?

The Ibanez Promethean looked very promising and got good reviews, at a good price... but then also lots of concerns about reliability, so not so keen. The RedSub and Harley Benton Promethean style amps get good reviews regarding sound too, but lots of reliability issues, and I am not keen to enter a lottery.

Gallien Krueger MB series gets good reviews too, and seems like they could work.

The Markbass CMD121 looks almost too good to be true... very light, very compact, and people say it's reasonably loud and good sounding. I like the idea of being able to use this on top of the BC212 cab when wanting a louder rig. Although I really like by RH450 head, this would essentially give me two giggable rigs, and I like having a suitable backup, when it's as small as the Markbass... Not cheap, but if it does what I want it to do (and people say they do), it's money well spent. So far I'm leaning towards this and I'm trying to locate one to try.

Any other suggestions?

Another thing I could consider is a light reasonably compact but efficient cab to match to my RH450. The drawback is it would not provide me with a backup for my RH450... and something like a Barefaced is not too far off the price of the Markbass... but again I hear wonderful things about their sound, efficiency and loudness... and they seem to be really well design speakers that could cope with a larger head easily, so it could be a good investment thinking about future changes... but again, I don't know anyone with those cabs around here to try. It's all too much money to buy without testing.

So much out there!!! Your comments will probably confuse me even more by adding more alternatives (love Basschat! :P) but ultimately it will all prove useful for me... so any comments welcome! :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1366973531' post='2059622']
The Markbass CMD121 looks almost too good to be true... very light, very compact, and people say it's reasonably loud and good sounding. I like the idea of being able to use this on top of the BC212 cab when wanting a louder rig. Although I really like by RH450 head, this would essentially give me two giggable rigs, and I like having a suitable backup, when it's as small as the Markbass... Not cheap, but if it does what I want it to do (and people say they do), it's money well spent. So far I'm leaning towards this and I'm trying to locate one to try.
[/quote]

You have answered your own question... imho. :)

The Markbass Mini CMD121P - very light and portable, and is plenty powerful enough for me in an 8-piece punky type band comprising drums, 2 basses, keys, and 3 gtrs. I never get the volume on more than 3 or 4. Adding in an extra cab - I have the matching NY121 - just makes the sound a lot bigger without necessarily being louder.

Plus, in my opinion, the Markbass sound sits just in the right place in the mix, rather like Ampeg, so is easy to eq to get a good sound.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1366993755' post='2060102']
Oh you so need an AER Amp One. Perfect for that tight situation you describe - there is even an optional tilt-back wedge thing for it.

Nothing is even in the same sound quality universe AND it is loud enough.

Save, sell things that you cherish and buy one.
[/quote]

I have just been reading about it. It is hard to find someone who does not like it... oh, wait, all the good reviews were yours :P (joking)
The price is high, but not enough to turn me off. However, finding one locally to try is going to be the hard part. The Markbass is not a problem... I may have to take advantage of the distance sales regs to get to try an amp, as I just don't find enough interesting ones around.

The Amp One has got me intrigued, thanks!

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1366992714' post='2060083']
Or swap your BC212 for an RS112 maybe..................or one of the new 'budget' Markbass combo's, I think they're based on the LM250 head and look fab
[/quote]

The BC212 is not the best cab out there, I admit it. But it's much easier to carry than even my RS210: not just weight, but the handles don't dig in my hands, and it just balances better so it's easy to carry it with one hand. It works well with the RS210, but not amazing by itself. An RS212 will likely sound better, but it's bulkier and heavier.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1366991688' post='2060068']
Your amp plus a different, smaller cab.
[/quote]

definitely a possibility!!!
I need to investigate more. The thing is the cabs that look like will definitely be great make me think that I might as well get something like the Markbass small combo, because then I have two amps, and two is better than one :) (thinking of having a reasonable backup etc)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1366986119' post='2059931']
How about your amp and your 212?

It's a good, compact rig and your least expensive option.
[/quote]

it is a reasonable thought, but it's not really small enough. I have used that, or more often the single RS210 on its own with the RH450, which sounds better... but it's not ideal. It has not the benefits of a bigger rig, nor the comfort benefits of a small one... it's somewhere in between where it doesn't excel at anything. To be honest, in those situations I'd probably just use the Hartke A100. Still a compromise.

If I am going to compromise, which I'll have to if I want something louder and smaller, it's got to be significantly smaller for me to consider it.

There are a couple of interesting Markbass amps, and the AER Amp One looks intriguing too...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1366985741' post='2059919']
The Markbass Mini CMD121P - very light and portable, and is plenty powerful enough for me in an 8-piece punky type band comprising drums, 2 basses, keys, and 3 gtrs. I never get the volume on more than 3 or 4. Adding in an extra cab - I have the matching NY121 - just makes the sound a lot bigger without necessarily being louder.

Plus, in my opinion, the Markbass sound sits just in the right place in the mix, rather like Ampeg, so is easy to eq to get a good sound.
[/quote]

This is the amp that is looking the best option for me so far, and the only one I have found locally. This weekend I am just too busy (album launch party gig tomorrow! yay!!! :)) but next weekend I will be trying one. The shop also offers 0% finance over 12 months which would make the buy absolutely painless... but I'd really like to be able to test it in something resembling a live situation, which I will not be able to do in the shop... so we'll see. I'll probably take the Hartke for comparison, as it's the one it has to beat significantly when it comes to sound and volume (in size it already wins). They also have TC Electronic RS and BC cabs so I may be able to try the Markbass in combination, just to see how the go together...

I just wish I could try other things too. I don't want to make a decision after trying only one... unless I fall in love instantly, which rarely happens.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366974269' post='2059650']
You have answered your own question... imho. :)
[/quote]

:lol: It's obvious I already like that idea, on paper, eh?

You see, I bought my TC rig without trying Markbass, but I meant to and I had done a bit of research... I went with TC because a friend of mine was able to give me a pretty good deal on the TC at a shop which did not stock Markbass... and it was just too good to pass it. They let me take it to rehearsal and I liked it enough, so I bought it. Never been in love full with it though... but I do like the head (RH450), the built-in tuner, the compressor... the presets (which I use for different basses, and come very handy when I shared the amp with another band)

Yes, MB is something I *have* to try. And on paper it looks pretty good.

The CMD102 (the 2x10 combo) isn't the smallest of things, it's about the same size as a standard 2x10 cab with front ports. But it doesn't weigh much (can be carried with one hand), has a tilt back option if you use it horizontally & has plenty of loudness (& sounds quality too).
So it might be bigger than one of your current 2x10 cabs.

I think something like the 121 that Lozz has may suit you better though.

Good luck on the album launch, we had ours last weekend, was a long day but very worthwhile.

Re the Markbass amps - I bought my first MB set-up as whenever I saw a band play in a pub/club etc and liked the bassists sound, invariably they were using Markbass. So I got a Little Mark Tube and 410HR. Fantastic - but my back is at the point where even a Markbass 410 is too much.

So I read up on the 121P, and thought I`d give it a go, and probably have to settle for a set-up I wasn`t overkeen on, but that I could lift, my back being more important than my ears. But I was wrong, I`ve not compromised on sound at all. For the gigs I do - pubs, or clubs where I go through the PA - the 121P on its own, is plenty. For my punk covers band I drag out the ext spkr, but in reality I don`t need it. Until I tried it, I really thought the reviews were another Emperors New Clothes, but I was wrong.

The only set-up I`d buy now would be exactly the same if I were playing bigger stages, and just have two of them.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1367009568' post='2060328']
The CMD102 (the 2x10 combo) isn't the smallest of things, it's about the same size as a standard 2x10 cab with front ports. But it doesn't weigh much (can be carried with one hand), has a tilt back option if you use it horizontally & has plenty of loudness (& sounds quality too).
So it might be bigger than one of your current 2x10 cabs.

I think something like the 121 that Lozz has may suit you better though.
[/quote]

Yes, that's exactly the one I had in mind. The 2x10 I'm sure it's a great amp, but not too different in size from what I already have.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1367009594' post='2060330']
Good luck on the album launch, we had ours last weekend, was a long day but very worthwhile.

Re the Markbass amps - I bought my first MB set-up as whenever I saw a band play in a pub/club etc and liked the bassists sound, invariably they were using Markbass. So I got a Little Mark Tube and 410HR. Fantastic - but my back is at the point where even a Markbass 410 is too much.

So I read up on the 121P, and thought I`d give it a go, and probably have to settle for a set-up I wasn`t overkeen on, but that I could lift, my back being more important than my ears. But I was wrong, I`ve not compromised on sound at all. For the gigs I do - pubs, or clubs where I go through the PA - the 121P on its own, is plenty. For my punk covers band I drag out the ext spkr, but in reality I don`t need it. Until I tried it, I really thought the reviews were another Emperors New Clothes, but I was wrong.

The only set-up I`d buy now would be exactly the same if I were playing bigger stages, and just have two of them.
[/quote]

Very encouraging, and as it's the only one I have found near me, all the better.

Album launch... I was getting sick of it recently, to be honest. All the preparations, the stress... we only got the CDs yesterday!!! But now that it's all pretty much done, and all we have left is... to show up and play, I'm getting excited again. I was a bit worried we would not sell many tickets, but sales look good, so it should be a good crowd. :)

The MarkBass 1x12 is a fine combo and it works extremely well with the larger of the MB 12" extension cabs - traveller 121H I think.

The advantage of the larger traveller cab is that it raises the height of the combo up to where it really works well as a personal monitor.

Of course you're also opening up the full power of the head and moving a lot more air. It's a very efficient combination.

Still very light weight even with the 2nd cab. You could easily have a combo/cab in each hand and a bass in a gig bag for a one trip journey from car to venue.

My personal favourite small rig is an Aguilar TH500 with either one or two matching SL112 cabs. These cabs are even lighter than the MB ones and sound great with the TH500 head.

A single SL112 goes deeper and louder than an MB121 combo (IMHO) and a pair of the cabs sounds huge!

I know a couple of heavyweight pro players using this set up for club gigs :)

What about an Ashdown MiBass[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 550 and Mi12 cab. Very light and Doddy uses his for every gig he does. I really like the head (I have one) and the Mi12 looks light and is loud too according to doddy.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There's a thread on the here [/font][/color][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/185964-nad-ashdown-mi12/page__hl__mibass"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/185964-nad-ashdown-mi12/page__hl__mibass[/url]