Why become a member? ×

Feedback time - your opinions please?

Kiwi

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1366712716' post='2056217']
Mmm? Feedback. The PM notifier symbol. Can you change the colour to something like a cyan,
and/or maybe flash on and off. I've left a few message responses longer than necessary, because
it's all orange in that top corner. Ta.

Balcro.
[/quote]

Please don't make it flash. Otherwise I'll have to add it to the items I'm currently blocking off Basschat.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1366713655' post='2056239']
Still on the subject of sales, I seem to have noticed a proliferation of seemingly innocent posts (under Bass Guitars, or another of the specific forums [i]outside[/i] the Marketplace) along the lines of "I'd really like to sell X, I wonder how much it would go for?". Isn't that a way of inviting PMs and trying to make a sale by circumventing the rules, rather than a genuine request for opinions or info? Or am I being too cynical (in which case, I apologise in advance)?
[/quote]
I did that myself.I wanted to find out an insurance value as my neighbour has an old Fender Bass that he hasn`t used for years, but has no intention of getting rid of, just wanted an insurance value, and didn`t need to put photos, as i know it is mint by looking at it.I also got handy tips on how to store it properly.However, i did get a PM asking if i was selling it, so that could be a good point.Although innocent from me, i can see how it can be used to circumnavigate the fees

Edited by timmo

I think the mods do an excellent job, generally. I've no complaints (apart from the GAS...) and I'll happily stump up the £20 some time soon. Also, I think the existence of this thread is a sign of the general health of the forum.

I rarely use the marketplace, [i]BUT[/i] one thing I think would improve it is a more accurate way of categorising and searching for what's for sale.

For example, a menu system that enables searches to be refined to include things like:

- 4, 5, 6 or more strings?
- Price range (less than £200, £200-£500, £500-£1000, £1000+, etc)
- Common brand names
- Location of seller (e.g. closest city)
- A standardised system for thread titles would also help

...you get the idea. This would reduce the need for gratuitous bumping, because buyers would be more inclined to search for what they're specifically looking for. As it stands, it's a bit like wandering around a giant supermarket with products stacked on the shelves at random - you need to wade through lots of different threads, often having to open them and read each one to find out the basic details, and it takes time. It can be fun! (I like GAS window-shopping as much as the next person). But it's not very efficient.

This should be relatively easy to implement (depending on the website's content management system). All sellers would need to do is fill in the relevant details in some kind of online form, rather than posting a regular thread.

Anyway, this is by no means a criticism of the current system. It's just my tuppence-worth from the perspective of a potential buyer :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1366719894' post='2056338']We tried going down that route, people said they didn't like it[/quote]

Really? Seems a little odd. But heh, I'm no expert!

Out of interest, was it the buyers or sellers who didn't like the idea of such a system? I could understand sellers seeing it a "bit of a faff" at first... but as a buyer I think it'd make things much easier. Then again if it ain't broken, don't fix it, etc.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1366721637' post='2056376']
Really? Seems a little odd. But heh, I'm no expert!

Out of interest, was it the buyers or sellers who didn't like the idea of such a system? I could understand sellers seeing it a "bit of a faff" at first... but as a buyer I think it'd make things much easier. Then again if it ain't broken, don't fix it, etc.
[/quote]

It was all a bit too formal and not really in fitting with the basschat feel, we'll probably give it another shot sometime :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1366721709' post='2056379']
It was all a bit too formal and not really in fitting with the basschat feel, we'll probably give it another shot sometime :)
[/quote]

I suppose it would have to be some kind of form... but with the option to ramble on and generally digress, as usual! :D

I've paid me £20. At first I was a bit... reluctant, but as stated elsewhere, it's a bargain, and a) I think it'll scare off the faint of heart and B) has slowed the market place down to a healthy stream rather than a raging torrent.

The only other bass site I've read regularly was uglybassplayer.com when I lived in the USA. I think there are many parallels between the two: the most obvious of which is the friendliness, and the community size (being small enough that you recognise names or avatars after a short time).

I haven't noticed much open hostility (steels self for incoming deluge of abuse), but then I avoid OT as I have my fill in the general and bass guitars forums.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1366731897' post='2056569']
Oh, sometimes threads that I am watching don't appear in the "my content" part. Some of them randomly disappear for a few days. Don't know if it's a common problem or not, but I thought i'd mention it here, since that's what you're looking for, isn't it?
[/quote]

On that note, there must be a bug in "my content" as it dispatches recent postings spread over several "my content" pages. Depending on circumstances one could even find a very recent post on page 21 of "my content" even when one has chosen to list by last post date.

BTW, Milty, threads you're watching can be found in "content I follow" rather than "my content". :P Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Just to add to the statistics, I have not noticed this building up of tension that Kiwi mentions in the OP. May have to do with what I watch and what not. Also, I don't know what "lately" means here.
If I have one "complaint", it has nothing to do with the moderation or the general feel and content, which both are great.

best,
bert

It is good that the site is willing to put up a thread asking for feedback and even endorsing a few suggestions.

As for OT...I don't see what the problem is, tbh... you engage in a thread on which you have an opinion.
Unless you are looking for slavish acceptance ( and it is possible some posters are :lol: ) of whatever you post about, why wouldn't you consider and engage
in a contrary opinions...?
We aren't sheep....

Oh, I get it... :lol: ;lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1366735785' post='2056637']
It is good that the site is willing to put up a thread asking for feedback and even endorsing a few suggestions.

As for OT...I don't see what the problem is, tbh... you engage in a thread on which you have an opinion.
Unless you are looking for slavish acceptance ( and it is possible some posters are :lol: ) of whatever you post about, why wouldn't you consider and engage
in a contrary opinions...?
We aren't sheep....

Oh, I get it... :lol: ;lol:
[/quote]

I have no issue at all with somebody bringing up a different point of view, but it's the manner in which it's done. Most of the people that are using this site regularly, most of the ones I know from OT and GD are brilliant folks, but some can't seem to bring up their point of view without going on the offence. It's not something I would do unless somebody was way out of line in what they were saying, but hardly anybody on here is ever out of line with what they are saying.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1366735424' post='2056630']
BTW, Milty, threads you're watching can be found in "content I follow" rather than "my content". :P Sorry. Couldn't resist.
[/quote]

Ah, so THAT'S what that does! ...

Me , I LOVE it here , the knowledge ,the openness , the willing to share and give freely , the p1sstaking , the retaliation , the characters , the musicality, the lessons , the caring ,the help , the PMs , the telling offs , the ocassional vote ;) ,the diversity and yet all with the a shared interest of the low end , did I say......... I LOVE it here .