Why become a member? ×

Oh, for goodness' sake! Beware the neck joint lacquer cracker!

4 Strings

Just picked up this rather beautiful Stingray HH from AndyCleaver and, as I always do, stripped it to have a good look at what I've got, clean it, set it up etc to make it mine.

After cleaning the neck and putting on the recommended gunstock wax etc my attention went to the body and my hand lightly brushed something. It was the edge of the neck pocket and off came a chunk of red lacquer! Seems it was overhanging the edge my a molecule and I had just caught it.
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/2013-04-18233644_zpsebe3ce85.jpg.html"][/url]

Never one to panic I screamed the house down. I have heard of this sort of thing happening when breaking a neck joint, but I've had necks on and off Fenders and MM basses plenty of times with no issues.

I found the two bits of lacquer and some wood glue (as that goes clear when dry) and stuck them bak in place. Unfortunately they curled a fraction and so despite a large pile of heavy books and 3litre bottle of cider pressing them as the glue dried there is still a mark.
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/2013-04-19080218_zpsf81bc5f6.jpg.html"][/url]

Oh, well, it's certainly mine now.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1366367938' post='2051507']
Will this thread be deleted soon?

;-)
[/quote]

:D Hopefully not, afaik as long as it stays "factual" then we (BC) is ok. It's when we jump to conclusions that we have to tread carefully :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1366370375' post='2051563']
...It's when we jump to conclusions that we have to tread carefully :)
[/quote]

So if we said (for example) that EBMM basses are actually made in [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE] out of [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE], it would be wrong?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1366368024' post='2051508']
Naaa! BP isn't a BC admin.
[/quote]

How do you know....... ;-)

Seriously though, that's damn tough luck. Happened to me once when swapping necks on a mint MIM Fender Jazz, which is why I tend to avoid taking the neck off basses now if I can avoid it.....certainly wont be doing it on my new Rick.

While I have sympathy for the OP and am glad that the problem appears to have been fixed, what I don't understand is this apparent obsession by some people to remove bolt-on necks for no real reason.

I don't own many instruments with bolt on necks, but in the 20 or so years that I have had them, I have had cause to remove a neck on two occasions only. Once was to add a shim to allow me to get action suitably low, and the other was to make a truss rod adjustment that couldn't be done without taking the neck off.

Can someone please explain why there is this apparent need to remove the neck of bolt-on neck basses?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1366386066' post='2051964']
While I have sympathy for the OP and am glad that the problem appears to have been fixed, what I don't understand is this apparent obsession by some people to remove bolt-on necks for no real reason.

I don't own many instruments with bolt on necks, but in the 20 or so years that I have had them, I have had cause to remove a neck on two occasions only. Once was to add a shim to allow me to get action suitably low, and the other was to make a truss rod adjustment that couldn't be done without taking the neck off.

Can someone please explain why there is this apparent need to remove the neck of bolt-on neck basses?
[/quote]

Apart from checking neck stamps on vintage instruments and truss rod adjustments where you can't get access it's probably best to leave well alone wherever possible.

I think a few people will think twice after seeing this thread.

Edit: Said the opposite of what I meant :rolleyes: :blush:

Edited by Fat Rich

I think I'll be thinking twice in the future too.

This one certainly isn't vintage (6 years old at the end of this month!) but, yeah, wanted to see the date stamps etc. (Half the necks I've removed have revealed either stamps missing or so feint as to not be readable. Stripping and cleaning etc somehow helps to make it 'mine'.

I did think about superglue, Oli, but because there were two pieces to get in back place I wanted a couple of seconds to manipulate.

There are a couple of other little digs from it's previous life and this trans lacquer doesn't flex at all, each has caused a bit of chipping.

I'm getting over it, more into getting it playing right now.

(Glad it wasn't brand new!)

So, amid the joviality further up this thread, have MM come on this list and asked for posts to be removed because they criticise Musicman products? I know they do that on their board, but have they influenced this one?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1366387073' post='2051989']
(...)

So, amid the joviality further up this thread, have MM come on this list and asked for posts to be removed because they criticise Musicman products? I know they do that on their board, but have they influenced this one?
[/quote]

I hope not, BC is still a free place for bass players (as long as we don't use the "R" word...)

[quote name='AndyCleaver' timestamp='1366387415' post='2051995']
My poor old bass, I bet it thought it was off to pastures new, were it would be loved and cherished and then.... :lol:
[/quote]

I clearly can't be trusted near a bass with anything more than a tiny Allen key.

If I was the great JD Phillips I could pass it off as the 'new textured surface' to help feel which way round it is on a dark stage.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1366387677' post='2052000']
I hope not, BC is still a free place for bass players (as long as we don't use the "R" word...)
[/quote]

My reading is that we're free to say anything as long as we don't defame any individuals or products. It appears to be illegal - sounds fair to me.

Although this isn't based on any survey of bass forums, it does appear to me that companies whose CEOs regularly post on line attract the 'XYZ is a burke' posts - whereas companies who appear to be faceless beaurocratic corporations do not, despite making product decisions which run counter to the desires of customers. A pity the power of the internet can't be used to make these faceless edifices more accountable. Calling CEOs names is a bit lame surely?

To my knowledge, only a handful of threads (i.e could be counted on one hand) have been closed on the Musicman forum in the last couple of years. These have been either caused by discussions about other company's products or certain individual warranty issues (which should have been directed to customer services and thus were) - note they were closed not deleted.

And back on topic - such a shame that is a gorgeous trans red Ray - the bodies on these used to be alder - do you know if that is? I've never taken the neck off a bass in 40 odd years of playing, and I'm even more put off having seen this. I've also heard horror stories of people putting them back on ever so slightly misaligned etc etc.

Edited by drTStingray

How dare you post this!!! The is an affront to holy greatness. I'm snitching. I am.

And I shall be rewarded, he will notice me. Oh joy oh rapture, his wondrous eyes will fall upon my worthless form.
Maybe he will bestow gifts upon me, I shall prostrate myself before him, and leap to his defence across the web that he may know my username.

Oh hang on....I had this with a ray too. And all around the pick guard too where the paint had reacted with it.

As you were like.

If things are bolted together (as opposed to glued) they should be unboltable too. Otherwise what's the point in using the bolts, just make a permanent connection?

I've not pulled the spark plugs in my car either (yet). I hope nothing else falls apart when I do. If I want to pull the headlining off I'm going to expect to make some repairs.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1366370996' post='2051583']
So if we said (for example) that EBMM basses are actually made in [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE] out of [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE], it would be wrong?
[/quote]
Only if you could claim that [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE] your [REMOVE ON LEGAL ADVICE] at the same time as they [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE] your [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE]. Otherwise there is a risk of [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE] and [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE] getting inside your [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE] and making you [REMOVED ON LEGAL ADVICE].

But I'd seek legal advice on that.