Why become a member? ×

A double whammy of disappointment

MarkW

A little while ago our band decided to put ‘Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick’ in our set list. After a bit of practice I’m at the stage where I can often pick up my bass and play it straight through without much difficulty – not as well as NW-R obviously, but perfectly well enough for a pub gig. But then there are just as many times when I pick up my bass and my plucking fingers flat-out refuse to perform. The speed isn’t an issue as they’ll move fast enough on one string, but as soon as I need to move across the strings they just seize up. You know those dreams where you try to run and your legs won’t work? It’s exactly the same thing. I’ve tried various limbering-up exercises and also put in some more regular practice, but I don’t seem to be reducing the frequency of duff performances. Needless to say I’m not going to be doing it live until I get some more consistency, so any advice would be much appreciated.

The other thing is that I’ve been recording our gigs, and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by how my bass sounded in the mix. For someone who hadn’t played live for 20 years - or even picked the instrument up much in that time – it sounded really good. I even had a (very drunk) punter come up to me after our last gig and tell me with great sincerity that I was an ‘awesome’ player. Bullshit of course, but still very flattering. And then I listened to the bass track on its own. Yikes! There in glorious isolation was every fluffed note, and every inconsistency in dynamics and tempo. Listening to the band I think I had started to believe that perhaps I wasn’t quite as crap as I thought I was, but in isolation there’s no getting away from the fact that I’m one of the few bass players who can claim to have less talent on the instrument than Sid Vicious. Much, much more practice required...

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1366191510' post='2049332']
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]A little while ago our band decided to put ‘Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick’ in our set list. After a bit of practice I’m at the stage where I can often pick up my bass and play it straight through without much difficulty – not as well as NW-R obviously, but perfectly well enough for a pub gig. But then there are just as many times when I pick up my bass and my plucking fingers flat-out refuse to perform. The speed isn’t an issue as they’ll move fast enough on one string, but as soon as I need to move across the strings they just seize up. You know those dreams where you try to run and your legs won’t work? It’s exactly the same thing. I’ve tried various limbering-up exercises and also put in some more regular practice, but I don’t seem to be reducing the frequency of duff performances. Needless to say I’m not going to be doing it live until I get some more consistency, so any advice would be much appreciated.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]The other thing is that I’ve been recording our gigs, and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by how my bass sounded in the mix. For someone who hadn’t played live for 20 years - or even picked the instrument up much in that time – it sounded really good. I even had a (very drunk) punter come up to me after our last gig and tell me with great sincerity that I was an ‘awesome’ player. Bullshit of course, but still very flattering. And then I listened to the bass track on its own. [b]Yikes! There in glorious isolation was every fluffed note, and every inconsistency in dynamics and tempo. Listening to the band I think I had started to believe that perhaps I wasn’t quite as crap as I thought I was, but in isolation there’s no getting away from the fact that I’m one of the few bass players who can claim to have less talent on the instrument than Sid Vicious. [/b][/font][/color][/size][b][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Much, much more practice required…[/font][/color][font=Times New Roman][color=#000000] [/color][/font][/b]
[/quote]

Never EVER judge your playing in isolation, listen to any isolated bass part and they will sound very odd, fluffs, timing issues, etc. In an ensemble all the players will be doing things they would cringe at if they heard it isolated.

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1366191510' post='2049332'][size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri].....................[/font][/color][/size][size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]then I listened to the bass track on its own. Yikes! There in glorious isolation was every fluffed note, and every inconsistency in dynamics and tempo.[/font][/color][/size][/quote]

This is akin to the first time you hear your own voice on an answering machine or whatever, "is that me, I'm never going to speak ever again!".
It's not actually how it is, and it's now how you are when you're interacting with others - ie. playing in a band.

I listened to a couple of recordings of my ( no very good ) covers band and I was so depressed with my performance that I was on the verge of quitting . In the end I went to a very respected teacher and asked him to tell me bluntly if my playing was as bad as I thought - the answer was no so it just shows you that your not the best person to judge your own performance. As others have said context is everything

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1366192163' post='2049342']
Never EVER judge your playing in isolation, listen to any isolated bass part and they will sound very odd, fluffs, timing issues, etc. In an ensemble all the players will be doing things they would cringe at if they heard it isolated.
[/quote]

Seconded. Did you add to the song on the night, get it moving?

If so, reasonable success, I would say. You're not in your bedroom nailing a note perfect rendition for Youtube, so I wouldn't worry too much. Keep on it and keep having fun.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1366193660' post='2049372']
Also, nothing kills energy like perfection.
[/quote]

Must remember this saying. :D

I have being working on "Rhythm Stick" on and off for a while. While I never quite have it 100% nailed, I feel I am
nearly there, and this keeps me going. I too, often experience the OP's situation where one day I can play it fairly comfortably,
but the next day I am all over the place.

There is no magic formula except to keep plugging away at it. I usually start by playing it slowly, and then gradually incrasing the tempo.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1366192326' post='2049347']
There was a thread on here recently on the subject of isolated bass tracks. Some highly respected pros sounded awful! Like Mr X says, it's what it sounds like in the band context that really counts
[/quote]

Didn`t someone post one of Geddys isolated bass tracks and it wasn`t the spot on bass part that most of us think it is?

I think that most of us at sometime hear the clunkers we play but as has been said, in the live setting, it all sounds right.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1366193660' post='2049372']
Also, nothing kills energy like perfection.
[/quote]

Oooh, thats good! Couldn't agree more, perfection makes things sterile. Which is ok in an operating theatre but not in a rock band!
I'm going to nick that quote, with permission of course, xilddx?

[quote name='Norm' timestamp='1366196809' post='2049411']
Oooh, thats good! Couldn't agree more, perfection makes things sterile. Which is ok in an operating theatre but not in a rock band!
[b]I'm going to nick that quote, with permission of course, xilddx?[/b]
[/quote]

I'm honoured :)

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1366191510' post='2049332'][size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]...my plucking fingers flat-out refuse to perform...[/font][/color][/size][/quote]

These 'semi-automatic' movements fall into place with repetition (practice...), as long as you're repeating the right stuff the right way. The key to succeeding every time is not speed, by slowness. Play the song through at half tempo, concentrating on getting it right. If it's OK, regularly, for a week or so, increase the tempo by a few bpm (not much, though...). Rinse and repeat; once you reach 'real' speed, your fingers (and brain...) will have it down 'pat', no bother. If you find yourself 'freezing' again, go back to square 1, and start again. Don't just keep lambasting into it, or you'll be teaching yourself (or rather, your brain and fingers...) how to do it wrong. Doing it slowly is the fastest way to get up to speed (in fact, I know of no other way...).
Subject to comment and/or correction from others, hope this helps...

For increaseing your speed, turn the volume up slightly & play with a lighter touch. It takes a little getting used to, but as you're not having to touch the strings as hard, it gives you that little extra maneuverability.

I think that some of these fantastic players can be very inspirational BUT, I prefer threads like this, because it offers far more encouragement in a 'real life' kind of way. I only recently started trying some home recording , and boy was I taken aback and intitially was very dissappointed at the work I had to put in to get a track sounding half decent , but in the band I seem to cut it OK .
Very similar to the OP , and I have to say, just realising that I was normal in this regard was quite encouraging :rolleyes:

Thank you to the op for being so candid, I have had the same thoughts on quitting at times, it's only that I'm a stubborn bugger that I refuse to quit. I also thought the big guys were just in a league if there own, but I have started listening to bass master tracks for transposition recently, and even they get it wrong at times... I think the important thing to remember is that bass is a HARD instrument to play perfectly ALL the time, use your recordings as a positive learning experience rather than a harsh examination. Remember, keep moving! Motion is creative and positive and has energy. At the risk of throwing another one line out there, I constantly remind myself that the quickest way to success in any walk of life, is find something that is hard or that you are avoiding and do that! Just think of it as easy and it will be!!!
You don't want to end up like the worlds angriest guitarist who is all over Facebook at the moment, if you don't know what I'm talking about I suggest you get ready for a really good laugh!

+1 to the advice of playing at half tempo, I find this invaluble in learning to play fast passages