Why become a member? ×

Mexican Fenders

BandGeekBarclay

Couldn't find another topic discussing this, but if there is could someone link it to me?

What's the general concensus on a Mexican built Fender bass? From what I can tell, they're made of cheaper stuff in a cheaper way, but still have Fender quality control - and bear the Fender name, and I imagine that's only because they're of a standard that is acceptable...

To me they seem like a relatively good deal - I've been looking for a 5-string Jazz bass for a while, and being but a student can't really afford anything, but if I manage to scrape pennies together it will be not a lot of cash anyway...

So, has anyone experienced one of them? How do they sound, and hold up in the long term?

Thanks,

BandGeek

Here's the link. 55 comments so should give you an idea.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168110-mexican-fenders/page__hl__mexican%20fenders"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/168110-mexican-fenders/page__hl__mexican%20fenders[/url]

Are they really made of cheaper stuff? I don't care about tuning pegs, surely the wood used in US Fenders is no better? Are the pups different? Is the quality of the knobs poor?

(I suppose that begs another question, what makes 'good wood' for a bass - please nothing about tone here!)

I used a Mexican Jazz 5 for a couple of years and I loved it! Good build quality, sounds fine and looks the nuts. Neck was comfy for me, weight wasn't too bad and only cost £300.

Definitely try before you buy though (as with any instrument).

Truckstop

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1365533734' post='2040874']
Are they really made of cheaper stuff? I don't care about tuning pegs, surely the wood used in US Fenders is no better? Are the pups different? Is the quality of the knobs poor?

(I suppose that begs another question, what makes 'good wood' for a bass - please nothing about tone here!)
[/quote]
Usually the same wood but more bits of it to make a body, I had a Mex Strat from new which had US pickups back then but I think the new ones have weaker outputs depending on the exact model, the knobs are similar but the pots are cheaper with a cheaper feel to them when operated. Fwiw I have played more nice Squiers than nice Mex basses, although played lots of nice Mex guitars, odd I know.

[quote name='BandGeekBarclay' timestamp='1365540785' post='2041008']
Hm, is a nice Squier of equivalent quality?

I've heard some good things about Squier and while it'd be nice to have a Fender badge, if I can get a nice instrument that's also fairly inexpensive then I'd be happier
[/quote]

The blindfold test is the only way!

I've heard some good things about Squier and while it'd be nice to have a Fender badge, if I can get a nice instrument that's also fairly inexpensive then I'd be happier
[/quote]

Squiers are very nice and well made, but I'd still go for a Fender. You always get what you pay for. No way you can get a "better fender for half of the price".
You pay for the brand, OK, but the brand has to hold a certain level to be respected. Fender has the level, has the respect and has the quality and the sound.

MiM Fenders are generaly superior to Squiers.(other than Japan Vintage series)

[/quote]

Squiers are massively underrated, it took a new set of pickups to complete it, but the stock neck on my indonesian standard jazz is one of the best jazz necks I've ever played and the rest of the bass ain't shabby either. However the Mex fenders made after the upgrade in 2007/8 are some of the best ever made IMHO, my '08 precision runs rings around every Squier P I've tried, and that's a fair few.

Be interested to compare an '08 Jazz with my Squier, but bottom line is if you can afford a Mex Fender made in the last five years or so, go for it, but you'd be better off getting a Squier then anything before 2007.

Does it not depend on the type of Mexican Fender in question? A lot on here will back up that the Classic 50s Ps and 60s Js along with the Road Worn series are top notch, and that a lot of the issues that people have reported tend to be the Mexican Standard Series? Both made in Mexico, but completely different feedback from users.

FWIW, both my basses are MIM Standards and both are absolutely fine. The neck pocket on the Jazz has a slight overhang but nothing I've ever been bothered about (it's approx. 1-2mm), and my Precision is an absolute beezer, but I've done a few mods along the way. The scratchplate, pickup, wiring and bridge have all been replaced, but structurally the bass is great, solid construction, nice neck too.

Edited by Jono Bolton

An individual Mexican made Fender will be either good or bad, just as one made anywhere else will be either good or bad. When considering a single instrument only you can decide, and only your opinion is important. Now there may be an element of truth to generic comments thrown around about materials, attention to detail and thoroughness of QC etc. when considering the entire output of a factory over a period of time, but when one is buying a single bass then it really is completely irrelevant. The bass you are going to try/buy is either good or it isn't. End of. I wouldn't get hung up on country of origin. There will be stonkingly amazing Mexican Fenders and absolute dogs of USA Fenders.

The general concensus is that US Fenders are made in America, using American parts by Mexicans - Mexican basses are made in Mexico, using American parts by Mexicans

If you check the link in my sig to my FSR Precision, this is my main bass. I was';t overly keen on the preamp so I fitted a set of EMGs

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1365587567' post='2041336']
The general concensus is that US Fenders are made in America, using American parts by Mexicans - Mexican basses are made in Mexico, using American parts by Mexicans

If you check the link in my sig to my FSR Precision, this is my main bass. I was';t overly keen on the preamp so I fitted a set of EMGs
[/quote]

This +1
Having taken the Fender Factory Tour in Corona last year, this was exactly the situation. Fender confirmed that a number of the parts are manufactured in the US plant and then shipped to Mexico.

Also, I think Neepheid makes a good point about buying an individual bass....regardless of where it is made. More basses/guitars are produced by the Mexico plant and they are built to a market price but there are some cracking MIM's out there.

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' timestamp='1365591628' post='2041404']
This +1
Having taken the Fender Factory Tour in Corona last year, this was exactly the situation. Fender confirmed that a number of the parts are manufactured in the US plant and then shipped to Mexico.

Also, I think Neepheid makes a good point about buying an individual bass....regardless of where it is made. More basses/guitars are produced by the Mexico plant and they are built to a market price but there are some cracking MIM's out there.
[/quote]

I thought it was simply cheaper to pay Mexicans to operate mass production machinery in Mexico than to pay them for the same job in Corona.

I`ve had a few MIM Precisions, and the last one was really great. It was either a 2011 or 2012, think 2011 as I bought it last year. But it was a great bass. Soundwise it was a bit clankier than a US, but all that takes is drop a bit of treble off the amp. I`d recommend them, but as with anything, best to play first.

I've basically being telling customers recently to make their own mind up.

If Fender had a factory on the moon making basses/guitars; which would be better MIA/MIJ/MIM or MOM.

The simple fact is, if it has to say 'Fender' on the headstock and you try it - and like it, then that's the best.

As for Mexican made vs USA, the facts are the Mexican ones can be 5 or 6 pieces of alder, the USA stuff is usually 2-4 pieces of a higher graded alder. There is a different finishing process, they put graphite rods in the necks for stability, you get a case, the pickups are now the custom shop ones, they 'roll' the fingerboard edges so they're smoother to play.

Mexican gear is all workhorse, bang for buck great gear.

The USA stuff feels and sounds more refined.

If you can afford a USA bass, demo both side by side; if the USA one is 'better' in your mind then you've bought within budget for what's right for you - if you prefer the Mexican bass, you've saved yourself £500 ish and come in under budget.