Why become a member? ×

Badge whore

Guest MoJo

I currently own two very capable P-basses, the 1990 MIJ Squier in particular is one of the nicest precisions I've played yet, at the back of my mind, it niggles me that it says Squier not Fender on the headstock. It's definitely an affliction. I think I'm a badge whore. Anyone else like to confess?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1365369090' post='2038750']
I have accumulated a fair pile of amp badges from scrapping amps and just having them fall off and suchlike. I'm having a custom amp made at some point, I have a blank sleeve for it, and I might put them all on it.
[/quote]

Now that could be controversial/a lot of fun: you could pair up a couple of appropriate names and really get the gearstalkers hot under the collar!

You could always 'relic' it so that just the 'er' of Squier are visible. That way it [i]could[/i] be a fender if you squinted at it from a distance. ;)

When I was at Uni (doing music performance) I never had an expensive bass, and my main squeeze was a 5 string Squier P. Yes, it got some disapproving looks at first. Didn't stop half of them borrowing it for recording though...

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1365368982' post='2038744']
I'm not fortunately, but I do understand it. Also, I once lost out on a gig as I didn't have a Fender!
[/quote]

I was asked before I joined my current band, "What gear have you got?" Fortunately at the time, I had a US Hot-Rod Precision. Now they're comfortable with my capabilities, I could turn up with just about anything. I am conscious however, of the disapproving eyes of the gear Police as they come to the front of the stage while you're taking a break between sets

Edited by MoJo

I heard a story from a friend of mine (and one of the best studio sound engineers in Poland). A band was to accompany some starlet on a TV show. The guitarist had a great LesPaul copy made by Ibanez in the 70s. This thing was as good as some really nice Gibsons. A sound engineer (not my friend who told me that, of course) complimented the sound, saying "wow, a lovely sounding Gibson", to which the guitarist replied "Actually, it's an Ibanez". "Ah", said the engineer, "yeah, very nice, but not quite as good as the original".

Some people "hear" badges...

It's complicated.
Yes, on some deep psychological level I'm a badge whore, but that's only part of the picture.
I really dig cheap gear that is quirky or does a good job at something, and can't imagine myself being seen with an ultimately boring "Fender" badge on anything (it looks sooo wannabee on a noob like me), whilst at the same time not allowing that to keep me from buying a Fender.

Well, I [i]said[/i] it was complicated!

best,
bert

Yes, very much so here, can't be just the 'F' word, has to have 'USA' tag too. Not because I marvel at the US labour (or should that be labor) force, far from it, but I only buy a bass on a rare occasion and it needs to be one I can resell easily. Why buy a 'nearly' bass?

I unfortunately judge other's guitars and basses on a similar level. A MiM is about as worthy as a Satellite. Ridiculous, but it's there in my sub-concious regardless of how 'free' I'd like to be.

It's the likes of me that keeps MiM prices low and MIA prices high. Sorry everyone, I resent it too!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1365372260' post='2038807']
Yes, very much so here, can't be just the 'F' word, has to have 'USA' tag too. Not because I marvel at the US labour (or should that be labor) force, far from it, but I only buy a bass on a rare occasion and it needs to be one I can resell easily. Why buy a 'nearly' bass?

I unfortunately judge other's guitars and basses on a similar level. A MiM is about as worthy as a Satellite. Ridiculous, but it's there in my sub-concious regardless of how 'free' I'd like to be.

It's the likes of me that keeps MiM prices low and MIA prices high. Sorry everyone, I resent it too!
[/quote]
I know what you mean, but we have to separate the music from the tools, it's very important. I adore my 83 USA Jazz, it's a fabulous Jazz, but I have to admit the fact it has that lovely '80s Fender logo with Made in USA gives me a big jab of nostalgia, Made in Japan lacks a little romance for me.

When I was a youngster in the 1980's I had a very early Squier JV Series Jazz bass and it always bothered me that it said Squier on the headstock . Nowadays those very same basses are more sought - after than a lot of Fenders and sell for a lot of money . The lesson in that story ? I'm not sure . However , what I do know is that when most folks buy basses or aspire to certain models what they are seeking to attain is far more than just the instrument itself but also all the images and associations that go along with it , so yearning for the Fender decal and buying into everything that goes along with it is entirely understandable . Get a Fender logo transfer put on your Squier and make yourself happy . I used to have a fake Gucci outfit and I looked and felt great in it .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365373043' post='2038823']
I know what you mean, but we have to separate the music from the tools, it's very important.
[/quote]

Absolutely, and I think this has stopped me from going for the custom made jobbie. I really like the utilitarian type of instrument as I very much consider my bass as a tool, but one that must perform and allow me to make the music I want, this is it's no.1 function, not to look beautiful or even be 'cool'.

The transfer on the headstock is merely a display of 'I paid this much'. Well, more fool you.

But, still, if I see an MX in that serial number then it's not a real bass. I need counselling to be set free.

Well, this fairly grinds my gears. It is what it is and it's either good or not good, and furthermore I'll be the judge of that, it's me that's playing the damn thing. The badge is irrelevant. I have Gibsons, I have an Epiphone. I have a USA G&L, I have G&L Tributes. I have Yamahas, no "golden age Japanese" ones, sorry, they're all made in Taiwan. Oh well, they must be crap then.

So no, I'm not a badge whore and to think you can be judged musically before you've even played a note is such a logical incongruence it isn't even funny. Bassism. Funny how that rhymes with a more socially unacceptable form of discrimination.

With that in mind, the "gear police" can naff off. I wouldn't want to play with people who listen with their eyes. To kow-tow to this attitude is to lend it credence. Stand up for your bass, and yourself!

I can understand the Fender/Squier thing... It doesn't matter how good your Squier is, and how much better it is than any Fender you've tried, its still not a Fender, so you'll always feel like it's not good enough.

I'm happy using Peaveys though. They're generally regarded as cheapo basses, but they feel great to me and I get lovely (nasty) sounds from them. Plus they're not very widely gigged so I feel like playing just Peaveys is my own special 'thing' and gives me some uniqueness. A combination of all these gets me quite a lot of comments and questions from other bass players about what I use! :)

I would like to think I'm no badge whore, but the truth is deep down I think I am. For years and years I hated my Squier and wished the bills would stop arriving so I could save up for a Fender. When it came to selling it and doing the deal the guy I was selling to - Oldgit, a past member on here sadly no longer with us - pointed out it was a JV and what that meant. It suddenly sounded great to my ears and has been my main bass ever since. The funny thing is that the gearstalkers turn their noses up at it all the time because of the Squier badge. Since those frugal days every instrument I have bought (guitars and basses) has been a cheapie, even though I could go buy a new USA fender today if I wanted. I play a Ibanez gsr180 when I want that jazz sound (cost about £150 new) and have no desire to upgrade to the real thing. Did the JV experience cure my badge whoredom? Am I still a whore and just deluding myself since I get a warm glow if smugness when people say "Oh, you're playing a Squier"? To be honest I don't really care either way. :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1365374746' post='2038850']
Well, this fairly grinds my gears. It is what it is and it's either good or not good, and furthermore I'll be the judge of that, it's me that's playing the damn thing. The badge is irrelevant. I have Gibsons, I have an Epiphone. I have a USA G&L, I have G&L Tributes. I have Yamahas, no "golden age Japanese" ones, sorry, they're all made in Taiwan. Oh well, they must be crap then.

So no, I'm not a badge whore and to think you can be judged musically before you've even played a note is such a logical incongruence it isn't even funny. Bassism. Funny how that rhymes with a more socially unacceptable form of discrimination.

With that in mind, the "gear police" can naff off. I wouldn't want to play with people who listen with their eyes. To kow-tow to this attitude is to lend it credence. Stand up for your bass, and yourself!
[/quote]

We all agree that badge is only one element that can indicate quality. Gibson for example are known for poor quality and concentrating on the finish rather than the build. I read an interview with Alex Lifeson who said his PRSs are amazingly well built and fantastic straight out the box, whereas his Gibsons always need work to make them playable, but he prefers the sound of his Gibsons. I tried an expensive Alex Lifeson sig Gibson a month ago, it was awful to play.

Our assumptions, knowledge levels and prejudices can lead to strange decisions. It what makes us all unique from each other. But I agree, if you have a great instrument that you love, defend it to the hilt regardless of the badge, but if that badge bothers you, then hunt for a great bass with the right badge that makes you feel nice.

Colour can make a difference too, I don't care how good the bass is, if it's sunburst I won't enjoy it.

I'll take a really good USA Fender over a really good Squier or MIJ/CIJ Fender any day. It makes me feel nice.

The thing is - to me & many I think - a P/Precision bass ain't really a Precision unless it's a Fender P/Precision bass & a J/Jazz bass ain't really a Jazz bass unless it's a Fender Jazz bass, end of!

Everything else is just a copy.

If it says Fender Made in USA on it that's like having Leo's DNA running through the wood grain :P :D :happy:

I do tend to use things with fender on the headstock. I've long since ceased to care whether or not it's made in California, simply due to the fact that every non-USA Fender I've played since I got back into it knocks every older Fender I ever had (all Fullerton built) into the weeds, or at the very least equals it.
Working in a guitar shop and being able to directly compare the various modern versions did not disabuse me of this notion.

But I do still like to see "Fender" up there.....